Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carton House today, C and C please?

• 07-02-2012 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just looking for some C and C on this shot please. It is the jpeg of this image that I brought into photoshop as im having some probs with opening CR2 atm. Thread up in 'The workshop if anyone can help"!

I am waiting on my ND filter to arrive so was just messing around with longer shutters!

cartonwaterfall.jpg

Is there anyway I could improve on something like this?

Cheers,

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Nice photo. I like the blurring of the water with the chosen shutter speed.

I would crop a bit tighter focusing in on a part of the waterfall. Maybe bump up the contrast slightly to give some punch.

Well done otherwise

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Get closer to the water and lose most of the green foreground grass. The bridge disappears out of the frame on the right making it look like it's been cut off. Underexpose it slightly to get some more detail in the white water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm having problems with CR2 files unfort so this was using jpeg to manipulate.

My other problem was that I only have 2 lenses at the minute, 50mm 1.8 and 70-200 sigma, so I cant really get closer unfortunately.

@pullandbang, thank you for the advice. your right about the bridge, but if i was to underexpose it, the trees would nearly be black though? The green would be nice out of the frame in the foreground now that you say it but due to lens constraints, not sure if it would be possible or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

My other problem was that I only have 2 lenses at the minute, 50mm 1.8 and 70-200 sigma, so I cant really get closer unfortunately.
    Huh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Get closer to the water and lose most of the green foreground grass.

Best advice right there. Go back to your framing and really try to decide on what needs to be in frame.

@Kelly, I think what he means is if he gets closer he will lose the length of the bridge and possibly the green hill. Which I guess the OP wants to keep in frame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

ok, that makes sense! Duh! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Also I used HDR (merged exposures) to get this effect.... might not be to every ones taste..
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Also I merged expousers to get this effect.... might not be to every ones taste..

It looks pretty awful TBH. The big blotchy sky really isn't doing it any favours. See if you can just gradient merge whatever exposure you have for the sky into the one in which you have the water looking the way you want it to or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 monosnaps

There are nicer locations within Carton so do a quick search on Flickr which will give you some ideas, remember its a Golf course so visit on misty or frosty mornings when golf is cancelled and you might get better access and hopefully some more moody images.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what the hell are Effects and DQ referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

'SpookyDonkey' posted an image in the thread and then subsequently deleted their post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Spooky D is still in the HDR hole, but I think he might be starting his recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

some good feedback above in terms of composition, etc...

when i saw this originally the thing that screamed out to me was - the day did you absolutely no favours. Capturing a scene like this needs great light, Yes use ND filters to enable the longer exposures and extract the flossy water from the scene, but head out early morning or prior to twilight.

I'm also seeing that there must be much more points of interest about the scene. As taken, it is a rather bland scene but i would think there must be much more points of interest around and about that scene if you could seek them out. Shoot low, shoot high. Explore the scene with your lens.

Needs more work imho and a retake with better light would really work better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Thank you all v much for the C and C,

The time of day was that of about 4, and was only when brought it onto the computer that i thought the best time would be morning as the sun should be shining right on the waterfall. I might try sometime to head down there for morning and see how it comes out! bit hard when working in a pub and coming home at all hours!!

@monosnaps, would definately love to get down there on a misty morning sometime. was actually looking at shots on the net before i went out at misty landscapes and would love to visit there on one of those days!

I do have the problem with my focal restraints with my widest lens being 50mm!! hopefully in the near future i'll have something wider and be able to expand this.

I think I'm going to work on the c and c i have gotten from this and try and retake with all the comments in mind from here.

Appreciate your help as always.

Advertisement