Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varnished Pine Doors - how to prepare for paint?

• 07-02-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Do I need to sand them down or use an undercoat, or is there a gloss paint that will go straight on? The doors only have one light coat of varnish on them and has mostly soaked in to the doors, there hasn't been years of build up and they aren't that shiny to look at.

A one-coat-does-all-product would suit me right down to the ground (as I've a manky load to do). Wanna paint them white gloss (or similar - heard a product Eggshell is longer lasting colour wise - is it fairly white??)

Also, for skirting boards, best way to avoid the dreaded paint on the carpet where the skirting meets the carpet?

Thanks for all advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

I'm sure the purists will say sand down the doors (actually the real purists will say don't paint them at all). BUT - I would use a couple of coats of Bullseye 123 on top of the cleaned varnished wood, then a coat or two of whatever you fancy. It's 3-4 coats, I know, but worth the effort. I really hate using oil based paint so I use Colortrend Satinwood for topcoat. I painted our doors and skirting with a small mohair roller.

But if you're not bothered by the toxic stink and don't mind spending hours getting paint off brushes and hands then you can use ordinary oil-based Dulux Satinwood which is cheaper. Definitely Bulleseye 123 as a primer/undercoat though - fantastic stuff. I wouldn't be without it. (No vested interest, I promise, just a fan.)

Oh and you can buy a device to protect the carpet - paint/hardware store should have one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

vicwatson wrote: »
    Do I need to sand them down or use an undercoat, or is there a gloss paint that will go straight on? The doors only have one light coat of varnish on them and has mostly soaked in to the doors, there hasn't been years of build up and they aren't that shiny to look at.

A one-coat-does-all-product would suit me right down to the ground (as I've a manky load to do). Wanna paint them white gloss (or similar - heard a product Eggshell is longer lasting colour wise - is it fairly white??)

Also, for skirting boards, best way to avoid the dreaded paint on the carpet where the skirting meets the carpet?

Thanks for all advice

Eggshell is a more matt white finish and its way better than gloss.Its tougher,washable and doesnt go off yellow,like gloss will do over time.

This is eggshell.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Best advise really is get a painter to do it......Sure whats the harm in getting quotes, and get it done properly....

mct1 wrote: »
    I'm sure the purists will say sand down the doors (actually the real purists will say don't paint them at all). BUT - I would use a couple of coats of Bullseye 123 on top of the cleaned varnished wood, then a coat or two of whatever you fancy. It's 3-4 coats, I know, but worth the effort. I really hate using oil based paint so I use Colortrend Satinwood for topcoat. I painted our doors and skirting with a small mohair roller.

But if you're not bothered by the toxic stink and don't mind spending hours getting paint off brushes and hands then you can use ordinary oil-based Dulux Satinwood which is cheaper. Definitely Bulleseye 123 as a primer/undercoat though - fantastic stuff. I wouldn't be without it. (No vested interest, I promise, just a fan.)

Oh and you can buy a device to protect the carpet - paint/hardware store should have one.

Dont buy the carpet protector in Woodies or BnQ.
    10 euro for a narrow curved plastic strip.

No fecking way.:mad:

Builders Providers or the likes of Crown Trade or Fleetwood Trade Paints.

mad m wrote: »
    Best advise really is get a painter to do it......Sure whats the harm in getting quotes, and get it done properly....

Thats hardly the best advice,and that doesnt help out with what the OP has asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thats hardly the best advice,and that doesnt help out with what the OP has asked.

Paddy to be honest, Ive seen what DIYer do when they try to do this type of job...If your not used to undercoating,gloss,eggshell then it can be nasty, runs,paint gathering, over applying, not sanding inbetween coats, filling,drips on carpets etc...I could go on...

No offence to the OP but when someone asks how do they protect carpet when painting it alarm bells start ringing. My advise still stands..

Also doors which have one coat of varnish on them, asking if there is something like a one coat wonder on the market to paint them is unrealistic...Pine doors can be a pain to bring up to a suitable finish....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Paddy to be honest, Ive seen what DIYer do when they try to do this type of job...If your not used to undercoating,gloss,eggshell then it can be nasty, runs,paint gathering, over applying, not sanding inbetween coats, filling,drips on carpets etc...I could go on...

No offence to the OP but when someone asks how do they protect carpet when painting it alarm bells start ringing. My advise still stands..

Also doors which have one coat of varnish on them, asking if there is something like a one coat wonder on the market to paint them is unrealistic...Pine doors can be a pain to bring up to a suitable finish....

I should have stated, I have plenty of experience with painting, just not painting pre stained doors. Perhaps I should have clarified. I've probably done more painting in the last 4 years than most qualified painters have.

I won't be getting a "painter" to do it, the job will be done much better by myself thanks. I've two arms and two legs and a brain for "cop-on" so there is really no point to me splashing out heavy cash to someone when I can do it myself.

Hardly a downfall to ask the BEST way of protecting carpet now is it, I've asked for some advice, this is what the forum is for isn't it?

Now... have you any help for me?:rolleyes: Thanks in advance

No offense but.......How do you know what the OP is or is not capable of??
    You dont know,but you just jump to conclusions and post a completely "non informatiove" post with no advice as to what the OP has "actually asked".

This is Zinnsser BIN Primer/Sealer.It seals knots in the skirting boards and doors,and it primes them too.It also primes and seals in stains and marks,on allmost any surface (kitchen units,varnished surfaces,wood,plaster,brick etc etc) ready then for overpainting.

Its a bit expensive but its also the best for a very good reason.

With regards protecting the carpet and painting skirting boards.

A 3 pack of clear plastic dust sheets (8 x 6 feet each) in Tesco for 2 euro 50 cents and some 50mm wide masking tape or 50mm wide duct tape (3 euro a roll in Tesco and Fleetwood Trade Paints).

My girlfriend painted the skirting boards and didnt get paint on the carpet,by placing a 50mm wide strip of making tape over the carpet edge and tucking the edge of the masking tape,right in and inder the edge of the carpet.This made a small slant in the carpet,so that the very bottom of the skirting board could be accessed/painted.

A very simple and even cheaper solution is to cut a breakfast cereal box down its side and use the edge of that and slot it in between the carpet and skirting board.

She then used a mini roller with foam/gloss roller and a 2 inch tipped/cut in brush to apply the primer and then the eggshell to the skirting boards.

Spotless clean carpet and spotless clean walls.All done on the cheap by her,and very well too (for a diyer).

Simples.:)

Thanks Paddy 147,
    Spotless clean carpet and spotless clean walls.All done on the cheap by her,and very well too (for a diyer).

Your girlfriend is hired :D:D

That primer/sealer sounds the business, can one get that in Fleetwood or....? What kind of dollars are we talking? Also, will this be ok to put on the pre varnised skirting and doors ( just to clarify they have been done with only one coat so it's not like thick glossy yacht varnish on them).

I'm good on the protecting the carpet now, I was really just trying to know the best way to protect where the carpet meets the skirter, I've had experience using a plastic guard but found that as you take it away it left some marks on the carpet, but on thinking perhaps I was using too much paint on the skirter so will go easier next time:)

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy 147,

Your girlfriend is hired :D:D

That primer/sealer sounds the business, can one get that in Fleetwood or....? What kind of dollars are we talking? Also, will this be ok to put on the pre varnised skirting and doors ( just to clarify they have been done with only one coat so it's not like thick glossy yacht varnish on them).

I'm good on the protecting the carpet now, I was really just trying to know the best way to protect where the carpet meets the skirter, I've had experience using a plastic guard but found that as you take it away it left some marks on the carpet, but on thinking perhaps I was using too much paint on the skirter so will go easier next time:)

Thanks,shes flying through the kitchen/dinning area,with the roller and green paint as I speak.:D

That Zinnsser is about 45 euro (as far as I can remember) for that size tin up in Fleetwood Trade paints in Finglas.

It says on the back of the tin,that it can be used over varnish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Thanks for all advice
    I should have stated, I have plenty of experience with painting, just not painting pre stained doors. Perhaps I should have clarified. I've probably done more painting in the last 4 years than most qualified painters have.

I won't be getting a "painter" to do it, the job will be done much better by myself thanks. I've two arms and two legs and a brain for "cop-on" so there is really no point to me splashing out heavy cash to someone when I can do it myself.

Hardly a downfall to ask the BEST way of protecting carpet now is it, I've asked for some advice, this is what the forum is for isn't it?

Now... have you any help for me?:rolleyes: Thanks in advance

You have plenty of experience of painting and will do the job better than a painter yet you dont know about masking tape :rolleyes:

To give another opinion that Bin123 primer mentioned earlier isnt reccomended
    for painting over varnish as a primer the red tin of Bin Zinnsser primer Paddy posted is
    the correct one but its not the easiest to use because its celulose based
    and quick drying so if you get a run or a defect it could be difficult to brush out.

I would say your easiest route is sand them all down and use an oil based
    primer or plain old oil based undercoat.

Then do any filling and give another undercoat.

Then give two coats of satin wood/eggshell paint or if you prefare gloss a 3rd undercoat and then a gloss.

The thing I find best is between coats leave for around 48 hours to let the paint harden.it feels dry after 16 hours but it does'nt be fully hardend.

It sounds like alot of coats but to do them right they need 4.

Undercoat isnt the best recomended primer but the easiest for a novice in my opinion.

You have plenty of experience of painting and will do the job better than a painter yet you dont know about masking tape :rolleyes:

Sorry but where did I say I didn't know about masking tape exactly ?? :rolleyes:
    Undercoat isnt the best recomended primer but the easiest for a novice in my opinion.

Novice? Didn't you read my posts at all.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry but where did I say I didn't know about masking tape exactly ?? :rolleyes:

Novice? Didn't you read my posts at all.

Thanks for the advice.

Someone takes the time to give advice and you just come back with a smart arse reply.

You sound like a nice person Vic.

Jesus Christ........will you lay off the chap.

He posted in the DIY forum,so that means DIY as in.........DO IT Yourself.

People should also fully read posts,and see what has been said,before posting replies.

He never mentioned that he was a novice,so stop treating the chap like he is.

Less of the bitchyness please.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ........will you lay off the chap.

He posted in the DIY forum,so that means DIY as in.........DO IT Yourself.

People should also fully read posts,and see what has been said,before posting replies.

He never mentioned that he was a novice,so stop treating the chap like he is.

Cop on here and wize up.

What the fook are you on about Paddy.

He has asked basic questions like the ones bolded below.
    He did'nt know that masking tape would prevent paint getting on the carpet.
    He did'nt even know that Eggshell paint comes in white FFS.

Thanks for all advice

robbie1977 wrote: »
    What the fook are you on about Paddy.

Thanks for all advice
    Someone takes the time to give advice and you just come back with a smart arse reply.

You sound like a nice person Vic.

You gave a lecture NOT advice, if you cannot give some decent advice then don't bother coming on lecturing.

If you are a professional painter and decorator then by all means give me advice, I am an AMATEUR DIY-er ON THIS BOARD LOOKING FOR HELP AND ADVICE, IF YOU CANNOT OFFER SOME THEN DON'T POST.

SIMPLES.

Where did I say that? I asked for the BEST way to protect the carpet:rolleyes:

BECAUSE I'm an amateur DIY-er :rolleyes:

And Paddy147 kindly clarified that.

If you don't have something decent to offer then DON'T POST, simple really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

well firstly you should clean down your doors (not saying they are dirty lol)with a sugar soap with fine grade0000 wire wool then treat each knot and (split if any)then brush on a sealer, sand finely when dry ,and recoat ,sand again and wipe down with thinners, then apply primer, sand wipe down, prime and finish filling in any splits or hole,s etc with painters mate before final sanding and finish

You gave a lecture NOT advice, if you cannot give some decent advice then don't bother coming on lecturing.

A lecture ?
    I explained a way to paint the varnished doors in a step by step
    guide that if you had of followed would of worked.

If you are a professional painter and decorator then by all means give me advice, I am an AMATEUR DIY-er ON THIS BOARD LOOKING FOR HELP AND ADVICE, IF YOU CANNOT OFFER SOME THEN DON'T POST.

SIMPLES.

Now your claiming that your a AMATEUR DIY-er but in posts 8 and 14 when you
    you dont like being refared to as a novice (whats the difference between novice and AMATEUR DIY-er?)
    you claim

,I have plenty of experience with painting, just not painting pre stained doors. Perhaps I should have clarified. I've probably done more painting in the last 4 years than most qualified painters have.

BECAUSE I'm an amateur DIY-er :rolleyes:

Back to posts 8 and 14 :rolleyes:

And Paddy147 kindly clarified that.

Paddy correctly clarified that eggshell paint comes in white
    and to be honest anyone who has done any painting at all should know that,thats why I was refaring to you as a novice in earlier posts.

If you don't have something decent to offer then DON'T POST, simple really

Vic if you have a problem with my posts there are mods on here who you can report them to and they will advise weather I SHOULD OR SHOULD'NT POST not you.

Simple really ;).

Vic if you have a problem with my posts there are mods on here who you can report them to and they will advise weather I SHOULD OR SHOULD'NT POST not you.

Simple really ;).

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement