Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to complete an access course before September?

Options
  • 07-02-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've applied for several Engineering courses through the CAO but knowing that competition will probably be fierce, I know that an access course will be an asset in the interviewing process if I'm lucky enough to get one. Will an online access course get any recognition from the interviewers, does it have to be in Engineering or will a general access course to 3rd level education suffice?

All answers appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I would say a general science one would be benefical, once it covers Maths. Only thing is you will have no results to show the colleges, which may be a problem. At least if you start an access course in September, you're examined on some of the subjects before Christmas and can show these results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I agree with Larianne, if you are looking at Engineering then having Maths covered would be a good idea.

Regarding online courses it really depends on the course content, the certification, if relevant and the course provider. If you cant get anything else then it would be better to have done something than not.

Heres a link to a list of all the third level access courses in Ireland.
    http://www.maturestudents.ie/beta/images/msibrochureall.pdf

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

OP, I would contact some of your local VEC's now as some of them are running access courses over the summer months. Now their not VTOS qualified due to time restrainsts but they do normally cover maths academic writing etc. If you organised this through the VEC you can then mention the details tutor names etc. at your interview.

Hope the info helps..........Dj.

Advertisement