Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History!

• 07-02-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Well lads, can anyone give me a rough count of how many words should be in a History Essay? I know its quantity over quality but I just wanna know if mine are long enough :) Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

No idea what the word count should be, but in or around 3 and a half/ 4 a4 pages should be enough!

And also, some people manage just about 3 and achieve high grades - as long as you make enough relevant points you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

No idea what the word count should be, but in or around 3 and a half/ 4 a4 pages should be enough!
    Cheers :) Thats what I thought, most of the ones I have prepared are that long :) the bad thing is though I tend to go way over and mess up my timing in an exam siuation. Hope I don't do it in the mock tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LC_sucks

apparently, depending on your writing, it should be about 5 pages long - aim for about 7 paragraphs (intro, concluson and five others) cos it's unlikely that people get 12 in every one of their paragraphs, so if you only do five it's unlikely you'll reach the full 60 in the CM (well for me anyway, i've never got a twelve paragraph in my life!)
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

And also, some people manage just about 3 and achieve high grades - as long as you make enough relevant points you're fine.
    Yep pretty much this and it doesn't matter how much you write it's what you put on the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Try and get 10-12 facts per paragraph and try not to waffle, you'll end up going off topic and lose marks that way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Over everything else, make sure you address the topic asked about, along with all sub-topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hiyakeano

i think my teacher must mark really high because in my class the majority of us are A-standard, but none of us have ever gotten higher than an 8/12 on a paragraph or an A1 essay :/ is this the same everywhere?

hiyakeano wrote: »
    i think my teacher must mark really high because in my class the majority of us are A-standard, but none of us have ever gotten higher than an 8/12 on a paragraph or an A1 essay :/ is this the same everywhere?
    Ahaha I wish. My history teacher marks our essays so passive aggressively it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭monkeysarecool

My history teacher rarely give us homework and when he does, he never corrects it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement