Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish people begrudge so much?

• 07-02-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Why is that whenever someone Irish is doing well, lots of people here (I mean Ireland, not Boards) can't just wish them the best, and instead hope they end up failing?

It's fúcked up.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm just sick of people begrudging my begrudgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

really? i've never seen this phenomenon of which you speak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Jesus...I don't know any Irish person thats doing wel

*typo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Well with me it's pure jealousy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Your friends and family are just depressing people to be around, hence the begrudging.

Identify the common denominator and you'll find out why everyone you know is so hate filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I don't really begrudge but jaysus like the rest of the Irish I love moaning about everything, the more trivial the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Arrah sure what would ye yun fellas know about begrudgery, hah?

Never done an honest day's begrudgin' in yere lives!

We'd have ta walk ta shchool in the snow in the winter afor we begrudged oursels the use a our own shoes!

But really, it's not exclusively Irish. Pretty much everyone does it*, we just notice it more when we do it.

EDIT: Also, it's human nature to criticise yourself and those you see as being part of your social group (eg. your family, your compatriots etc) rather than criticise others. Look at the way, for example, the English tabloid press are so quick to tear down home-grown celebrities, and especially the national football team. Though of course newspaper sales factor heavily into that too.

*Though there does seem to be a higher proportion of upbeat, trusting, optimistic Americans, from my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭Archeron

They dont. I dont know a single person who would hope somebody would end up failing and I wouldnt want to. I genuinely have no idea where this rumour stems from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think it's more a complaining type thing and ya it's head wrecking. I have to avoid some people just because I'm not in the mood to hear a dirge of whining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I'm pretty sure we still appreciate people who are doing well as a result using their talents to achieve something challenging and noteworthy which we could all be proud of. Its cunts like Jedward we hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Fourteen wrote: »
    Why is that whenever someone Irish is doing well, lots of people here (I mean Ireland, not Boards) can't just wish them the best, and instead hope they end up failing?

It's fúcked up.

You and your fukn new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

We only begrudge people who have worked hard for their success, we love the cute hoors who swindle to the top but if your lucky you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

It's not just a rumour, it's common, you see it on boards too.

It's like people can't accept someone else doing well/can't control their own jealousy.

I know it's not just Ireland of course, but it is noticeable here for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

It's to do partially with our culture and, I think, our value of I suppose I would call it Xenia. Xenia in ancient Greece was the concept of looking after visitors and generally being nice to strangers. We have something similar here where we are expected to provide even for strangers and yet we are also expected not to be a nuisance or impede on our hosts or friends good intentions or whatever. We are not meant to bother other people with ourselves. Our begrudgery, at the end of the day, is something like or social interaction and the expectation of us to defer and hold our tongues and even our needs and this leads us to bottle up things and then later feel begrudging, as evident by our cuntiness to other people when we feel it is morally advantageous.

Now that sounds like a load of ****e but if I had the right words I could describe adequately it's just viewing and explaining a part of your culture that has been internalised to such an extent it is a foundation of our attitudes makes it very hard to do particularly in such a short time.

Otherwise is partially because we are insecure.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    You and your fukn new thread

you and your begrudgery!

This is quite clearly a super fun thread...NAAAAt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Archeron wrote: »
    They dont. I dont know a single person who would hope somebody would end up failing and I wouldnt want to. I genuinely have no idea where this rumour stems from.

Closet begrudger.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

It's fúcked up.

Do you genuinely enjoy hearing someone else has won the national lottery and not you? Someone who then goes on to say they will keep working in the local post office and maybe go on a little holiday somewhere nice! Aaaaaagh.......... I begrudge, I begrudge!

Only 19 replies, brilliant, I'm delighted!

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Only 19 replies, brilliant, I'm delighted!

:pac::pac:

No recession here, wha?

• Advertisement

But Bono is a cutn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Arrah sure what would ye yun fellas know about begrudgery, hah?

Never done an honest day's begrudgin' in yere lives!

We'd have ta walk ta shchool in the snow in the winter afor we begrudged oursels the use a our own shoes!

Tell us more about how it was back in the day, tell us about the fields, go on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

People fought and died so that we could begrudge other Irish people! When the Brits were here they banned it along with our other national pastime, leap-frog!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Datotrunk

Another thread like this grrr, op stop begrudging begrudgers:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

44leto wrote: »
    But Bono is a cutn.

And in Bono's head he truely believes that Irish people commonly hold this opinion because of their 'begrudgery' and hatred of anyone successful.

Interestingly, I've never read a single bad word about The Edge, Larry Mullin or Adam Clayton on boards :confused:

Tell us more about how it was back in the day, tell us about the fields, go on!

Mysel, I preferred ta walk along the top of the drystone walls, on accounta all the fields around our house were owned by aul Johnny Murtaugh, an them Murtaughs'd be flashin' their money around just cos they were after makin' a few bob outta the farmin'.

So to spite them, I'd refuse ta walk through their fields, even though they said we could and it'd save us an hour walking to school.
    I broke six legs walkin' them walls, but it was well worth it just not to give them bollickses the satisfaction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I begrudge drug dealers flash cars and lavish lifestyles.

latenia wrote: »
    And in Bono's head he truely believes that Irish people commonly hold this opinion because of their 'begrudgery' and hatred of anyone successful.

Interestingly, I've never read a single bad word about The Edge, Larry Mullin or Adam Clayton on boards :confused:

Because they are not blowing off about third world aid while non of them IMO pay their fair tax.

I irony is I am a huge U2 fan and I was genuinely with them since the beginning.

Mysel, I preferred ta walk along the top of the drystone walls, on accounta all the fields around our house were owned by aul Johnny Murtaugh, an them Murtaughs'd be flashin' their money around just cos they were after makin' a few bob outta the farmin'.

So to spite them, I'd refuse ta walk through their fields, even though they said we could and it'd save us an hour walking to school.
    I broke six legs walkin' them walls, but it was well worth it just not to give them bollickses the satisfaction!

Those feckin landowners and their ways, good on ya, begrdugery back then was like a fine sport, nowadays it's superfluous and meaningless!

Six legs that's awful and of course no shoes to put them in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Bullsh1t.

Those feckin landowners and their ways, good on ya, begrdugery back then was like a fine sport, nowadays it's superfluous and meaningless!

Six legs that's awful and of course no shoes to put them in!

Arrah, sure I never enjoyed the aul' begrudgery though, sure I was always begrudging me big brother's begrudging as he was awful good at begrudging. Begrudging your own begrudgery before you'd even started your begrudging he'd be begrudging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm pretty sure we still appreciate people who are doing well as a result using their talents to achieve something challenging and noteworthy which we could all be proud of. Its c[SIZE="2"]u[/SIZE]nts like Jedward we hate.

That, plus the amount of people that get where they are by being pricks/pulling strokes/because of who they know

Anyone who does it on their own merit gets kudos from here.

Arrah, sure I never enjoyed the aul' begrudgery though, sure I was always begrudging me big brother's begrudging as he was awful good at begrudging. Begrudging your own begrudgery before you'd even started your begrudging he'd be begrudging.

Sure if there was a trophy for begrudging he'd surely win it and no doubt be begrudged by those who didn't win for begrudgery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

44leto wrote: »
    Because they are not blowing off about third world aid while non of them IMO pay their fair tax.

I irony is I am a huge U2 fan and I was genuinely with them since the beginning.

TBF he has done some good work, but that's probably an understatement. He works very hard for developing countries problems and raising awareness and actually trying to get something done to address the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

We're not very good with emotions?
    feel jealous? = complain about 'teh forinors' taking our jebs.
    maybe you feel content? = No thats not good enough us Irish cannot be happy with what we've got, find something, be creative, sure remember about friend who tried to show some kind of talent once, ha he was a show. That's better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It's fúcked up.

That true.

Gerry Ryan always used to say that the Irish are real begrudger's and he was correct, also there seems to be a higher proportion of begrudger's on AH.... Begrudger double-whammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

You mean Irish people, as opposed to every other nationality in the world.......rolls eyes because I can't do smilies on me phone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A nation full of inferiority complexs. :pac:

Personally I don't so much begrudge but I do like giving out about things. On average I'd say I spend about 75% of my waking hours giving out or voicing my disatisfaction with certain people or certain states of affairs.

Tbh I was always like this and I never remember a time when I wasn't aggrieved by something. I suppose in a weird way I kinda get a kick out of it. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Because they are ungrateful and insecure comparing themselves to others. can you not just be happy with yourself you have no choice you cannot be someone else.

I think if people would stop boasting to the people who they know don't have or may never have what they have, this would solve alot. There are people I know who always go on about their children and family and all the things they know that the others who they are telling to do not have. I usually never talk about myself when something good happen I wouldn't tell people in case I make someone depressed not because something good happen to me but because of they might get depressed because they think that mighten ever happen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't know whether this is an overwhelmingly Irish thing - although maybe it is, seeing as it's said so much. I'd have thought it was a universal phenomenon. Irish people say Irish people are begrudgers so often though, maybe it's not as widespread? Seeing as there are all those who dislike it so much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

A lot of the "begrudging" is not actually begrudgery, take anything like nepotism or fraud. If you post a thread showing an example of it on boards, I guarantee you that there will be somebody saying "Fair play", and saying that everybody is just begrudging the fraudster/corrupt minister/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Haelium wrote: »
    A lot of the "begrudging" is not actually begrudgery, take anything like nepotism or fraud. If you post a thread showing an example of it on boards, I guarantee you that there will be somebody saying "Fair play", and saying that everybody is just begrudging the fraudster/corrupt minister/etc.
    Absolutely. And if a person dislikes a successful person like Bono or Michael O'Leary, because of their personality, not their success, again with the inane "Typical Irish begrudgery".

Reeks of "Respect your betters you minion" tbh.

"Fecking legend" etc for people who "pull a stroke" or act "the cute hoor" is nauseating and spineless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I think a lot of begrugdery has to do with jealousy and tbh if you look at the way things have progress in this country over the last 20 yrs it has took in a life of its own, personally I find begrudging or being jealous of someone is a negative emotion, I had a friend who when she rang me just moaned about her sister just let's say the sister made a little bit of cash on selling her house and envy reared it's head the way it just took over her was unhealthy and she could not see beyond it, even teaching my own kids the art of being humble and treating people equally will hopefully ster them away from begrugdery, even if your content with your life you should not feel the need to begrudge

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Small tightly knit communities are always like that .Big communities have too many competitors like a marathon race .It's little use putting down people in big races . Tiny groups of people in offices in big cities are much the same as small towns here .Your competition is very close to you .It's not peculiar to us here at all and this 'put down' is very unfair .Human Nature is much the same everywhere .There is no point in detraction if you have a lot of people around you . .The denser the population the less of it i believe .I'm never jealous of people and i know a few moneyed people i don't think people can understand that .Everything brings trouble and i don't have the problems they have .All success bring it's own problems .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lowlife

Thank you! That (original message) was the most succinct, intelligent, answer to this issue that has been bugging me for some time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

National pass time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its in our DNA our makeup

we are (for the most part) the inheritors of a peasant mentality, dating back to our colonial past

the ..."he's got more potato's than me":mad: has now changed to..."he's got more money than me":mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Begrudgery is more imagined than a reality ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I am Irish, i do not begrudge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's because we love a good moan. No one moans and complains about everything like we do. I'm even doing it now, ffs.

In saying that though, it also gives us our unique humour. Sure we even begrudge ourselves into a self depricative sludge that is oddly enough, kind of optimistic in a way. It's taking a bad situation or outlook and being able to laugh at it.

Now we may not be a nation of renowned innovators and high achievers due to lack of support and encouragement perhaps. But at least we can take the piss out of everyone else that is, and we do that well.

Begrudgery is our niche I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement