Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish people begrudge so much?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have noticed it a lot to be honest. In america I find they apreciate the fact that you have done well for yourself or made something out of yourself and they have particular respect from people who worked up from a disadvantaged background. I find some people in Ireland hate to see those from disadvantaged backgrounds doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some gimps say any dislike at all is begrudgery, jealousy, derpa derp. Presumably they've never disliked anyone ever so.
    I don't get the obsession with it - I see it FAR less than is claimed. Just seems to be a "thing to say" tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I've never begrudged a man his due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

this chap is fishing one day , beside him a bucket of crabs .

another bloke walks past and notices a climbing crab near freedom at the top of the bucket
    he says to the fisherman - 'hey one of your crabs is about to get out '!

fisherman replies

' dont worry , they are irish crabs , the other ones will pull him back in '

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Life is good to everyone but not in the same ways . Feasts and Famines everybody has .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

irish begrudgery is a myth. it's no different to anywhere else in the world, aside from the fact that if you say something bad about someone who is famous/doing well it's immediately flagged as "begrudgery". say the same thing a million times about a regular joe and not an eyelid is batted

if anything it's an irish exclusive trend of finding begrudgery where none exists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

As said, it is the same the world over and Ireland is no different. :D

Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term primarily used in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

As said, it is the same the world over and Ireland is no different. :D

Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term primarily used in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

see, i dont buy that definition either

for example, i think u2 are garbage and bono is a bit of a tart. that's not because they're a massive, successful band though - that's because that's my honest opinion of them.

the thing that makes people confuse that with begrudgery is the fact that lots of people know who u2 and bono are because they're famous, so there's an assumption made that it's jealousy. it's not. if they were a local band playing in my neighbour's garage i'd still think they were crap. and i'd still think bono was a tart - however he'd probably be pontificating about something else, like the cost of a box of smokes, or the government or something instead, and nobody would care if i had that opinion about him, least of all call me a begrudger for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i wouldnt say we are begrudgers. I would say that in Ireland people just cannot deal with a difference of opinion - also the Irish are a sarcastic and cynical bunch (in the best sense of the words - this is where we get out sense of humour and likability).

also, i would prefer to discuss something or have a difference of opinion than going around roaring GOOD JOB, HEY GOOD JOB, at the top of my voice everybody somebody makes it out of bed in the morning. :D:D

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    see, i dont buy that definition either

for example, i think u2 are garbage and bono is a bit of a tart. that's not because they're a massive, successful band though - that's because that's my honest opinion of them.

the thing that makes people confuse that with begrudgery is the fact that lots of people know who u2 and bono are because they're famous, so there's an assumption made that it's jealousy. it's not. if they were a local band playing in my neighbour's garage i'd still think they were crap. and i'd still think bono was a tart - however he'd probably be pontificating about something else, like the cost of a box of smokes, or the government or something instead

yes, i thought bono and crew were crap when they DID PLAY local gigs before his head grew to the size of a pumpkin.

sure look at who are dear leaders are/were - a bunch of swindlers - Can you blame us for being suspicious. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mossie2644

i begrudge the fact that people begrudge me my begrudgery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Its the crab bucket syndrome. You put a bunch of crabs in a bucket and every time one is about to get out, the one below pulls it down again to try and get out.

The best person to ask about begrudgery is the likes of bono, I'm sure he could write a thesis on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

guitarzero wrote: »
    Its the crab bucket syndrome. You put a bunch of crabs in a bucket and every time one is about to get out, the one below pulls it down again to try and get out.

The best person to ask about begrudgery is the likes of bono, I'm sure he could write a thesis on it.

he'd probably pay someone else to do it:rolleyes:

*begrudgingly posted from my iphone to this mediocre thread
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

guitarzero wrote: »

Thanks! I think I'm gonna head to the Crab Pot this weekend. You have my mind set on it.

Nom Nom Nom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Fourteen wrote: »
    Why is that whenever someone Irish is doing well, lots of people here (I mean Ireland, not Boards) can't just wish them the best, and instead hope they end up failing?

It's fúcked up.

Because it's what we do!...stop begrudging our begrudgery!:pac:

Advertisement