Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penalising State bodies for late payment

Options
  • 07-02-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

Not strictly the correct forum but I might get direct experiences here hopefully.

I'm currently in the process of taking An Post to court over the failure to pay a sizeable outstanding debt since 2009, the debt is for products purchased. They have no issue/query with the products.

My question is with regard to the Prompt Payment of Accounts Act, I am due (from my laymans reading of the act) a daily interest which accumulates to approx 10.75% per annum

Has anyone here every insisted on and been paid this amount?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There are three reasons for late payment:

1. Inefficiency
    2. Inability
    3. Company policy

I would assume your debt falls into category 1. So, is the inefficiency down to An Post or is it in part your fault for not chasing hard enough?

If it's 100% An Post's fault, and you are not planning on working with them again, then go ahead and invoice them for the interest. It will have to be a separate invoice to the outstanding invoice. The hard part is getting a purchase order for the interest. Most large companies won't process an invoice without a PO number.

In the past I've sent the interest invoice (without a PO Number) to the person responsible for passing the initial invoice. And then forgotten about it. If they pay it, consider it a bonus.:rolleyes:

However, you want to get paid the original invoice. Why are they not paying you? Have they got the invoice? Has it got a PO number on it? Speak to the person who made the order and ask them for the name of the person to speak to in accounts who is meant to deal with your invoice. Call them.

The secret to efficient credit control is never to put the phone down without getting an answer to a question. Never be fobbed off with 'I'll get them to call you or I'll call you back'. You will have to do all the legwork -
    1. Are you the person responsible for passing this invoice?
    2. No. Who is the person responsible?
    3. Who is it passed to next, can I have their name and contact number please?
    4. Have you got the invoice?
    5. Who is the person responsible for issuing the cheque? Have you got their number please.
    6. When are you issuing the cheque? When will you be posting it?

If you have the names and contact numbers then hassle the hell out of them to get what you want. I can assume in an organisation like An Post, no one answers their phone and you have leave voicemails. Speak to reception if you can, get them to put you through or better still to their boss.

Write everything down - dates called, who you spoke to, what action was promised etc

With big organisations it's a matter of following it step-by-step through each process to finally getting paid.

Good luck to you! :D

Advertisement