Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with solid aeroboard

• 07-02-2012 10:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have any amount available from my work as a by product. Solid styrofoam. They dump it. Its about 3 or 4 inches thick by 1 meter sq. Just thinking could I use it for anything. My attic is uninsulated but I have already bought the fiberglass for that. However the gables in the attic? Or between the rafters?

Ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

where are you based? ill take as much of it as I can get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I would absolutly use it between the rafters. Make sue to leave about 50mm between it and the felt though.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sonofsteptoe

Hi, Likewise I'll take as much as is available, Cheers.
    That's if you're not going to use it yourself of course.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

What a shame your work is dumping this there are a 100 things it could be use for instead of sending it to landfill even if they put it on free adds it will be picked up in a flash, I for one would use it for floatation in my boats :)
    Maybe you should set up a little sideline selling it on and make a few extra quid:D "one man's rubbish is another man's gold"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭buky

err...ahem...when I said any amount I suppose I didnt really mean any amount. They get 1 delivery every week where these are used in the packing. 5 in total. I have been collecting them for a few weeks now and have a big pile in my shed.

While they might be great as insulation in the attic etc. my only concern is that they might be a fire hazard and not covered in the event of a fire.
    Having said that, could I stick them directly to the gable wall in the attic? Or should there be a gap btw the blocks and insulation?

Thanks a lot,

Buk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Styrofoam House, Styrofoam shed, Styrofoam wife and Styrofoam dog!

ScreenShot145_1.preview.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

buky wrote: »
    err...ahem...when I said any amount I suppose I didnt really mean any amount. They get 1 delivery every week where these are used in the packing. 5 in total. I have been collecting them for a few weeks now and have a big pile in my shed.

While they might be great as insulation in the attic etc. my only concern is that they might be a fire hazard and not covered in the event of a fire.
    Having said that, could I stick them directly to the gable wall in the attic? Or should there be a gap btw the blocks and insulation?

Thanks a lot,

Buk

You could insulate your shed with it for a start.

Advertisement