Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 'un-fitness' log!!

Options
  • 07-02-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I am just starting out on the fitness track. I joined a gym a while ago and they put me in the ladies section with resistance machines - after a week or so I got really bored and decided to go to a personal trainer. He started me on weights and really increased the intensity of my workout and I want to keep track of how well I am doing.

I have named my log as it is because that is where I am starting - I am not fit and have never been but I am enjoying the new journey!

I am female, 36, and have aprox 45kg to lose - so I know it is going to take a long time!

My current program is as follows:

Day 1
    Warm-up and dynamic stretch 4mins
    Treadmill 15 minutes record distance
    Weights
    Bike 10 minutes
    Warm-down (core work) and static stretch

Day 2
    Warm-up and dynamic stretch 5mins
    Treadmill 10 minutes record distance
    Weights
    Bike 10 minutes

Day 1
    Lever chest press - 25kgs

BB Clean & Press 15kgs

Deadlifts - Olympic Barbell

Tricep pressdowns - 40kgs

Day 2

Lat pulldowns - 30kgs

Bulgarian Split Squat - Bodyweight

Lunges - Bodyweight

BB bicep curls 15Kgs

Rep range: 10-12 Warm-up sets: 2 Maximum sets: 2

I train four days a week (the above programme twice with one day off in between).

I am ready to move up in weight with the deadlift and lat pulldowns, but am still working on doing 2 maximum sets of the others. My fastest speed on treadmill is about 7.2km/hr (I go up for a min and then have a recovery of 30 secs and then back up).

I am working on the above for four - six weeks by myself and what I would like to achieve in this time is:

Weight loss of 5kg
    Increase in time at highest level on treadmill, along with increase in level (9km/hr)
    Increase all weights by at least 10kg.

Is this achievable? I have already gone up at least 5kg in all weights over two weeks and have increased top speed on treadmill from 6 to 7.2km/hr so I think that it should be - I am not sure if I am aiming too low - should I be able to increase weights faster than that? This is all new to me so am setting blind goals at the moment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I am just starting out on the fitness track. I joined a gym a while ago and they put me in the ladies section with resistance machines - after a week or so I got really bored and decided to go to a personal trainer. He started me on weights and really increased the intensity of my workout and I want to keep track of how well I am doing.

I have named my log as it is because that is where I am starting - I am not fit and have never been but I am enjoying the new journey!

I am female, 36, and have aprox 45kg to lose - so I know it is going to take a long time! !
    Great to see a new log! Getting started is always the hardest part..so well done!
    My current program is as follows:

Day 1
    Warm-up and dynamic stretch 4mins
    Treadmill 15 minutes record distance
    Weights
    Bike 10 minutes

Day 2
    Warm-up and dynamic stretch 5mins
    Treadmill 10 minutes record distance
    Weights
    Bike 10 minutes

Day 1
    Lever chest press - 25kgs

BB Clean & Press 15kgs

Deadlifts - Olympic Barbell

Tricep pressdowns - 40kgs

Day 2

Lat pulldowns - 30kgs

Bulgarian Split Squat - Bodyweight

Lunges - Bodyweight

BB bicep curls 15Kgs

Rep range: 10-12 Warm-up sets: 2 Maximum sets: 2

I train four days a week (the above programme twice with one day off in between).

I am ready to move up in weight with the deadlift and lat pulldowns, but am still working on doing 2 maximum sets of the others. My fastest speed on treadmill is about 7.2km/hr (I go up for a min and then have a recovery of 30 secs and then back up).

I am working on the above for four - six weeks by myself and what I would like to achieve in this time is:

Weight loss of 5kg
    Increase in time at highest level on treadmill, along with increase in level (9km/hr)
    Increase all weights by at least 10kg.

Is this achievable? I have already gone up at least 5kg in all weights over two weeks and have increased top speed on treadmill from 6 to 7.2km/hr so I think that it should be - I am not sure if I am aiming too low - should I be able to increase weights faster than that? This is all new to me so am setting blind goals at the moment!

Just keep doing what your doing and get consistent. I wouldnt start worrying about all the nooks and crannies just yet (weights, speed etc) that'll come easily in time if you get consistent at your programme first.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Flugelblues

Day 2 of my fitness log: a very boring day as its my day off. I somehow lost my motivation during the day so decided to post anyway...get into the habit. Day 1 of my fitness prog tomorrow and am secretly delighted that its not the second day as I'm hopeless at squats - I keep thinking I'll fall over :-)

Found it so hard to get up this morning and go to the gym - but I did. All the way there I kept telling myself I could turn back...for some reason I was just really unmotivated.

Here's what I did:

Treadmill: 10 mins

Chest press: 12*10kg, 10*15kg, 8*15kg

BB Clean & Press: 12*5kg, 12*15kg, 12*15kg, 6*15kg

Deadlift: 12*25kg, 12*25kg, 12*25kg

Triceps Pressdown: 12*25kg, 10*35kg, 10*35kg

Bike: 10 mins

Was happy with the middle two, but, on the others (chest press and triceps pressdown) my programme says I should be doing higher weights but I haven't ever done that much on my own for some reason - so I am just using the weights set as a target! :D

Treadmill: 10 mins

Lat pulldown: 12 * 30kg (*3)

Bulgarian Split Squat: 12 * 1 (per leg)

Lunges: 12 * 2 (per leg)

BB Biceps Curl: 12 * 5kg; 12 * 15kg; 12 * 15kg, 10 * 15kg

Monday 13th

Treadmill: 12 mins

Chest Press: 12 * 10kg, 8 * 15kg, 8 * 15kg

BB Clean & Press: 12 * 15kg, 12 * 15kg, 8 * 15kg

Deadlift: 12 * 25kg (*3)

Triceps Pressdown: 12 * 25kg, 12 * 30kg, 12 * 35kg, 10 * 35kg

• Advertisement

I have been sick all week and haven't been to the gym at all...I feel so lazy!! Should I still be exercising while I am sick? (Exercise is very new to me so I am not sure what would be best!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I have been sick all week and haven't been to the gym at all...I feel so lazy!! Should I still be exercising while I am sick? (Exercise is very new to me so I am not sure what would be best!).

Really depends on the sickness. I generally kind of think that if its head up-head cold/ headache Id still do a bit of exercise but anything lower-chest down I wouldn't. You also have to be conscious of not passing an illness on to others in the gym. I always find that a nice stroll outdoors helps with headaches or tummy aches..and it is exercise!

Advertisement