Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a shed

• 07-02-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

hi y'all

im thinking about building a workshop in my back garden and was looking to know roughly how much it would cost. I already have a 10 inch thick slab of 20'x10' and wanted to build something cheapely and with a decent capacity to hold in the heat from a pot belly stove. i was thinking of going down the 4" or cavitites road but im frightened by how much it might cost. have looked at the steel/wooden sheds but cant seem to get a price. Im open to all sugestions aslong as they

A: can be build at a reasonable cost
    B: would be confortable working inside during the winter

ps i have a source of used double glazed windows/doors for this project

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A softwood frame, clad with pressure treated timber, insulated with rockwool (or similar) and lined on the interior with hardboard.
    Softwood t & g roof or shuttering ply covered with a few rolls of felt.
    Cheapest and cheerfullest by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Building a timber shed like that is a complete waste of money go with the cavity blocks and do your self a fever, you do know the weather we have in Ireland and what it does to timber, treated or not not to mention the heat loss and you did say you wanted to work in that shed also insurance companies do not cove felt roof anymore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

650gs wrote: »
    Building a timber shed like that is a complete waste of money go with the cavity blocks and do your self a fever, you do know the weather we have in Ireland and what it does to timber, treated or not not to mention the heat loss and you did say you wanted to work in that shed also insurance companies do not cove felt roof anymore

The OP has asked about reasonable cost.

Timber is cheaper and faster to construct = lower costs.
    Timber sheds don't need foundations as large or deep as cavity block walls = lower costs.
    Timber sheds don't need foundations which require serious excavation/groundwork = lower costs.
    A cavity block wall loses more heat than a well constructed and insulated timber wall.
    Fit a steel roof if insurance is an issue, but the costs will rise.

Please tell us what the Irish weather does to pressure treated timber.

well as cost is he option how long do you want the shed for, its a bit like buying a fiat or a bmw one costs a bit more but outlast the other and a well insulated timber wall with rock wool and wall board, well the wall board will soak up every bit of moister in the shed even off your fleece you will be wearing to keep the heat in and from the hat to stops the drips of condensation off the steel roof and as for the treated timber that never rots just have a look at all the treated decks and sheds round the country or why not just google it there's lot of funny pics to laugh at.
    It might seem a little more but worth it buy a mile there is a reason most houses are built from blocks, theres a lot goes into timber houses

650gs wrote: »
    well as cost is he option how long do you want the shed for, its a bit like buying a fiat or a bmw one costs a bit more but outlast the other and a well insulated timber wall with rock wool and wall board, well the wall board will soak up every bit of moister in the shed even off your fleece you will be wearing to keep the heat in and from the hat to stops the drips of condensation off the steel roof and as for the treated timber that never rots just have a look at all the treated decks and sheds round the country or why not just google it there's lot of funny pics to laugh at.
    It might seem a little more but worth it buy a mile there is a reason most houses are built from blocks, theres a lot goes into timber houses
    Of course a naked tin roof would have drips from condensation but who would be foolish enough to roof a building in this way?
    Most sensible people would install a breather membrane first (if they haven't bought non-drip roof sheets already), just as they would with the walls.

Again, please tell us what you think the Irish weather does to pressure treated timber.
    Perhaps your experience has only been of dipped or tanalised softwood - pressure treated timber will last forty years or more out in the open.
    If it is under a roof, you and me will be pushing up daisies before there is any problem.

I agree that as you say 'there's a lot goes into timber houses', this is true; a little more thought has to go into the process of design and construction.

There is also the matter of carbon footprint, possibly not an issue which concerns you, but it really is time for us all to consider building in an environmentally sensitive way.
    If we can build with renewable resources like timber, so much the better.

Irish traditional building has always favoured bricks blocks and mortar - a terribly shortsighted tendency encouraged by the concrete monopolies, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

You cant use breathable felt under steel roofs as I'm sure you know prolonged water such as condensation will go through so you have to use blizzerd type felt and you would be surprised how many people have steel roofs with nothing under around the country and can you show me a decking built about 35 maybe 39 years ago hmmmmm well if you would like to see some in the south Dublin area built in the last 6 years or so ago falling apart I will gladly pm you some addresses or take a walk along any caravan site along our cost or the lakes in the midlands to see for yourself what the Irish weather does to so call pressure treated timber

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

What's the access like to your back garden? Maybe you'd be a candidate for a steel shipping container. Instant workshop!

Advertisement