Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horribly slow for anyone else tonight?

Options
  • 07-02-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

1758647326.png

56359080.png

Restarted router, tests were done while connected wired. Tried test wirelessly with similar result.

Don't plan calling phone support until my official complaint from the last call comes to anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thank you for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

I see that you have a recent case logged with Business Technical Support. At the time they attempted to do some basic troubleshooting on your broadband connection and they referred you to Sales as you wished to discontinue your account.

I don't know if I can shed any more light technically. Technical Support are eircom's fundamental source for all broadband technical issues. If you do not wish to try the basic troubleshooting checks, Technical Support can arrange for an engineer to check your broadband connection eitherway. However, it will save time and assist Technical Support greatly if you were to complete their quick suggestions when you are on the phone with them. Otherwise, it is quite difficult for Technical Support to assist and the engineers will test your broadband connection only up to your premises.

Apart from the broadband speed you don't mention your local setup. Are you using more than one computer device, for example?

Your broadband is setup on *NGB, up to 12Mb. Your broadband appears synced perfectly on 8Mb, with good attainable rates. Your broadband pre-prequalifies for slighly less, at 7Mb and this is important in your capacity to get higher broadband speeds.

That said, your connection is showing absolutely solid across eircom's Authentication servers. Your download speed is lower than the average(6.5Mb), and this might suggest 1) That you are experiencing a weak local wireless signal 2) That you are sharing your connection over more than one computer device. 3) Your computer equipment or software are the cause of your slow download

Your upload speed, by the way is fine at 05.Mb (512Kb) and this is the average for your Adsl fixed broadband connection using *NGB.

By the way, your modem itself, may not be the source of this problem and there are no reported connection problems in your area.

To check if your internal setup (network) is responsible for your connection problem, please take a look at the following Technical Support BB troubleshooting suggestions:

Restart the modem:
    Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

*It is important that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. For example: Long private telephone cables or secondary phone sockets within your premises.
    Remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

Ensure that all secondary phone sockets are 'Filtered' using the correct Adsl Filter (and not the Adsl Splitter). If you have problems with your secondary phone extension(s), you may need to assistance from a vendor (3rd party or electrician).
    Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow Ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Once you have checked this, try your connection again on the eircom Speedtest website : www.eircom.net/speedtest

Don't worry too much about connecting over wireless at this point. Remember, to connect ONLY one computer over Ethernet cable to the modem.

NOTE : All other computer devices should be temporarily shut down completely when testing your broadband speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?
    * These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.
    Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?
    * Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance.

Please see contact information below.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Note: *NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times.

NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to *12 or *24Mb in cases).
    ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for. See www.ngb.ie for more information.

1758647326.png

56359080.png

Restarted router, tests were done while connected wired. Tried test wirelessly with similar result.

Don't plan calling phone support until my official complaint from the last call comes to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Thank you for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

I see that you have a recent case logged with Business Technical Support. At the time they attempted to do some basic troubleshooting on your broadband connection and they referred you to Sales as you wished to discontinue your account. -- The troubleshooting which the engineer was suggesting is the same procedure we have undergone several times in the past over the phone. Unplug all but one computer, restart router, run a speed test. *test gives satisfactory results* thank you have a nice day. Unfortunately there isn't 24/7 phone support so if we experience a problem at 10pm, we have to wait till the next day to phone about the horrible service, so for 80% of our calls, there was no problem at the time, and this procedure is next to useless.

I don't know if I can shed any more light technically. Technical Support are eircom's fundamental source for all broadband technical issues. If you do not wish to try the basic troubleshooting checks, Technical Support can arrange for an engineer to check your broadband connection eitherway. However, it will save time and assist Technical Support greatly if you were to complete their quick suggestions when you are on the phone with them. Otherwise, it is quite difficult for Technical Support to assist and the engineers will test your broadband connection only up to your premises. -- Same point, had tried several ping tests and speed checks before calling, told the engineer that we had already done them and he insisted we did them again. I did run several tests taking 20minutes at the least with him going AFK for a couple minutes between each one to check if the results were ok. These results still were not satisfactory as although we were getting the correct download and upload speed, they were not consistent and we were experiencing a lot of latency to any server we tested with.

Apart from the broadband speed you don't mention your local setup. Are you using more than one computer device, for example? -- At the time of conducting both the speed tests in my first post and at the time of the tests during my last call, there was one computer connected to the network via a wired connection. Separately on both that occasion and others, as much as 4 other computers were used separately one after another to check. All with similar results.

Your broadband is setup on *NGB, up to 12Mb. Your broadband appears synced perfectly on 8Mb, with good attainable rates. Your broadband pre-prequalifies for slighly less, at 7Mb and this is important in your capacity to get higher broadband speeds. Maximum broadband speed is not the issue here

That said, your connection is showing absolutely solid across eircom's Authentication servers. Your download speed is lower than the average(6.5Mb), and this might suggest 1) That you are experiencing a weak local wireless signal 2) That you are sharing your connection over more than one computer device. 3) Your computer equipment or software are the cause of your slow download -- 1. Weak local wireless signal, referring to me connecting to the router wirelessly? The computer carrying out these tests was wired. 2. No 3. No

Your upload speed, by the way is fine at 05.Mb (512Kb) and this is the average for your Adsl fixed broadband connection using *NGB. -- Agreed.

By the way, your modem itself, may not be the source of this problem and there are no reported connection problems in your area. Well I'm not making this up. This certainly isn't my idea of fun.

To check if your internal setup (network) is responsible for your connection problem, please take a look at the following Technical Support BB troubleshooting suggestions:

Restart the modem:
    Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

*It is important that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. For example: Long private telephone cables or secondary phone sockets within your premises.
    Remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

Ensure that all secondary phone sockets are 'Filtered' using the correct Adsl Filter (and not the Adsl Splitter). If you have problems with your secondary phone extension(s), you may need to assistance from a vendor (3rd party or electrician).

Are you connecting wirelessly? No

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow Ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Once you have checked this, try your connection again on the eircom Speedtest website : www.eircom.net/speedtest

Don't worry too much about connecting over wireless at this point. Remember, to connect ONLY one computer over Ethernet cable to the modem.

NOTE : All other computer devices should be temporarily shut down completely when testing your broadband speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?
    * These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.
    Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?
    * Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance.

Please see contact information below.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Note: *NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times.

NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to *12 or *24Mb in cases).
    ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for. See www.ngb.ie for more information.

Added answers to your post

Sorry if anything reads a little aggressively, it was not my intention.

Thanks,
    Darren.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your post and for advising that you have completed the broadband checks.

Once you have done these checks it is much easier for Technical Support assist. Broadband Support have vast years of experience, dealing with similar broadband related issues. Their basic reasoning behind the checks is : If there's no problem with the customer's own setup, then this must be on our side.

Therefore, once you are convinced this is not related to your setup, an engineering crew can be assigned to repair any eircom related fault with your broadband. You can also agree that the engineers will not enter your premises and therefore no call out charges are applied. If you are convinced that this fault is on eircom's external network, then you also have the option to agree to call out charges. This way the engineer will enter your premises only after an appointment has been made. The engineer will then inspect your local setup as well. It is up to you what you require.

Don't worry about the connection dropping after Broadband Support are closed at 10Pm. Broadband Support can always check the authentication servers to see when you were connected. By the way, eircom Technical Support have a proud tradition of excellence in customer & Technical Support. Im not aware of many residential Broadband Support departments globally, that are open 8am-10pm, 364 days.

If you wish to have an engineer check your broadband, please DM me with your mobile phone contact number.
    Also, please advise whether you accept a call out fee if this is found to be a non-eircom related fault.

You can also contact Broadband Support directly :

Best wishes,
    Ant

ping.png

technician who called out the other day suggested unplug all phones and alarm when the lag is happening to see if it's caused by them, other than that no problem on our end. That picture is of about 10 minutes ago, nothing else but the magical internet box plugged in. also getting similar pings on one other computer also connected wired. turned off wireless to run these tests also.

In my untrained opinion it is a problem with my local exchange; wherein, during peak hours my connection is extremely congested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hi Darren,

By the way, eircom Technical Support have a proud tradition of excellence in customer & Technical Support.

LOL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056410474

Good luck OP, maybe 6 months down the line they might look at it

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    LOL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056410474

Good luck OP, maybe 6 months down the line they might look at it

I'm certainly not holding my breath for them to do anything at all any time soon. It's pretty ridiculous to be dealt with like this.

ping.png

technician who called out the other day suggested unplug all phones and alarm when the lag is happening to see if it's caused by them, other than that no problem on our end. That picture is of about 10 minutes ago, nothing else but the magical internet box plugged in. also getting similar pings on one other computer also connected wired. turned off wireless to run these tests also.

In my untrained opinion it is a problem with my local exchange; wherein, during peak hours my connection is extremely congested.

Hi, thanks for your post fronzenfrozen,

I've checked with Broadband Support and they confirm that an engineer called out this week. The engineer advised that no faults were found on the exchange after testing. They have advised though that they found the fault is possible with CUST PROCT/BOX DZ (e.g: system / alarm) - POSSIBLE DAMAGE ON CUSTOMER'S SIDE. The engineers also checked local cabling, after they had tested your phoneline connection at the exchange.

Your broadband sync and conection look perfect at the moment. You're syncing at 8Mb with good attainable rates and your broadband connection has been solid across eircom's Auth(entication) servers for over 1 day and 12 hours.

Tech Support have advised that you try to test your connection as advised by the Technician with out your alarm first (i.e: unplug all phones and alarm). If any further connection issue, then please report this to Broadband Support.
    Currently Broadband Support have a pending suspended case open and are waiting for you to report any further connection issue.

Technical Support are open until 10pm all over the weekend, if you need them. Don't worry about a reference number, just give your phone number if you need to call.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Hi, thanks for your post fronzenfrozen,

I've checked with Broadband Support and they confirm that an engineer called out this week. The engineer advised that no faults were found on the exchange after testing. They have advised though that they found the fault is possible with CUST PROCT/BOX DZ (e.g: system / alarm) - POSSIBLE DAMAGE ON CUSTOMER'S SIDE. The engineers also checked local cabling, after they had tested your phoneline connection at the exchange.

Your broadband sync and conection look perfect at the moment. You're syncing at 8Mb with good attainable rates and your broadband connection has been solid across eircom's Auth(entication) servers for over 1 day and 12 hours.

Tech Support have advised that you try to test your connection as advised by the Technician with out your alarm first (i.e: unplug all phones and alarm). If any further connection issue, then please report this to Broadband Support.
    Currently Broadband Support have a pending suspended case open and are waiting for you to report any further connection issue.

Technical Support are open until 10pm all over the weekend, if you need them. Don't worry about a reference number, just give your phone number if you need to call.

Best wishes,
    Ant

I'm not making this up for fun. This is not fun. Even though the damaged alarm cable was bypassed during the test, for the sake of me getting my head around this issue, let's just say that it wasn't taken out of the equation, and that it was causing the problem:

So this damaged cable which the technician said must have been cut or damaged somewhere inside the wall with a nail or something similar, is causing problems ONLY during the hours of 19:30 - 00:00 each night? Surely if this damaged cable was causing the problem it would be 24/7, or at least not during peak usage hours.

I'm not making this up for fun. This is not fun. Even though the damaged alarm cable was bypassed during the test, for the sake of me getting my head around this issue, let's just say that it wasn't taken out of the equation, and that it was causing the problem:

So this damaged cable which the technician said must have been cut or damaged somewhere inside the wall with a nail or something similar, is causing problems ONLY during the hours of 19:30 - 00:00 each night? Surely if this damaged cable was causing the problem it would be 24/7, or at least not during peak usage hours.

Hi frozenfrozen,

If you'd like me to re-escalate this to our engineers, I will do this. The engineeers will check the phoneline connection up to your house (or the master phone socket) and there will be no call out charges.

Otherwise, do this directly by calling into Broadband Support as advised earlier. They are open over the weekend and you can call them during the hours when your connection is affected at 19:30. They will also be able to do some quick checks when you are on the phone. If necessary, they would be able to call you back on a mobile contact number.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Don't bother your arse, they don't check for things like latency. Once your point of access in the exchange is connected all is daisy in the garden of Eircom.

• Advertisement

Hi frozenfrozen,

If you'd like me to re-escalate this to our engineers, I will do this. The engineeers will check the phoneline connection up to your house (or the master phone socket) and there will be no call out charges.

Otherwise, do this directly by calling into Broadband Support as advised earlier. They are open over the weekend and you can call them during the hours when your connection is affected at 19:30. They will also be able to do some quick checks when you are on the phone. If necessary, they would be able to call you back on a mobile contact number.

Best wishes,
    Ant

I shall give them a call later and post the result here. If it isn't fixed I'm afraid this will have to be escalated like you suggested.

Thanks,
    Darren.

The automated answering service claims operating hours are up until 6pm, so I wasn't able to do as advised.

The automated answering service claims operating hours are up until 6pm, so I wasn't able to do as advised.

Thanks for your post.

Apologies if you were unable to get through to Broadband Support.

I've rechecked with Residential Technical Support (eVR) and can confirm that their current opening hours are from 8am to 10pm.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Thanks for your post.

Apologies if you were unable to get through to Broadband Support.

I've rechecked with Residential Technical Support (eVR) and can confirm that their current opening hours are from 8am to 10pm.

Best wishes,
    Ant

We are on a business package, I'll call again tonight if I get the chance.

Thanks,
    Darren.

We are on a business package, I'll call again tonight if I get the chance.

Thanks,
    Darren.

Hi Darren,

Just to advise. The opening hours for Business Technical Support are 9am to 6pm (7 days)..

Kind regards,
    Ant

Advertisement