Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Australia on a provisional licence?

Options
  • 07-02-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi I plan on moving to Australia in June and I never got my provisional in time to make the 6months to do my practical test before I go away. Can I drive in Australia on a provisional licence? Can I do my test in Australia? Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

No sorry, you'll need to start again in Australia.
    Have a read of RTA's website
    NSW
    VIC
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bolster4103

Not yet, can you do so if not a citizen?

Not yet, can you do so if not a citizen?
    Sorry have no clue what that question means .... can you be more clear?

But either way, to get driving in Australia from scratch is a long painful process. 4years + to get a full licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Im not 100% sure but I think that Queensland might allow you to exchange an irish learners permit for L plates, but if they happen to do this, you will still need to complete something like 120 hours of independent driving hours with a qualified driver, all which has to be put into a logbook - all this before you can take a test. Basically, it's a nightmare, far worse than the new 'stringent' measures for learners back home.

I came out here in November in a similar boat, basically I had too much on my plate with finishing college in October that I didnt bother doing my driving test, so now im stuck with the likelihood of having to book a 3 week trip home in the coming months to do my test. Basically im screwed here without a driving licence - especially when im travelling on my own. I've even had plenty of job offers which required a full licence or a car. And getting regional work is an utter nightmare for the same reason.

Look into doing it at home if it's at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What is an Irish provisional these days? Is it before or after a test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Is a full Irish licence ok over there guys?

Plug wrote: »
    Is a full Irish licence ok over there guys?

Yeah, if driving on a temp visa (holiday, WHV, 457) you do not need to swap you can just drive

If on a perm visa you need to swap after 6 months, and you need to have it 3 years if you want a full licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Zambia wrote: »
    What is an Irish provisional these days? Is it before or after a test?

Before test but you don't get a provisional anymore you get a learner permit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thanks Hussey.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

They won't swap your licence for an australian leaner permit, I tried to blag one :D when I was over there but no joy. I just paid my rego and drove on my provisional. I pretty much drove around the whole thing up/down the west coast down through esperance and across the nulabor plain up the middle and over and down the east coast to melbourne. It was a looong :eek: drive but great fun I did it over 10 months in a 1981 Hiace with 380k on the clock probably seen it twice. haha I was stopped once right in the middle just south of Alice Springs at a police check point. He asked for my licence and I handed over my prov nothing said :confused: checked Rego and on ya go. Might be a bit more strict in the cities couldn't tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I called into Vicroads in shepparton, which is the Victoria motor registry office. I showed them my learner permit and they said that I can swap it straight for victorian L-plates. Also, because im over 21, I dont need to fill a log-book for my L driving, so I am free to go ahead and apply for the test. The woman at the desk told me that I could drive on my Irish learner's permit but i would be subject to Victorian rules, so she said that if i drove with a qualified learner etc, then i'd be fine. I must go in and change the learner's permit over as i need to get my test over and done with asap.

Victoria is a far cry from NSW where the log-book thing is extended to u-25s, and an Irish learner permit is totally worthless. If you need to get driving over here, get out of NSW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Leif you cant drive on a foreign learners. End of story get the Vic one.

Advertisement