Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Cale, The Button Factory, Dublin October 3rd.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭cudsy1

anyone goin to this? is he playin with a band or on his own?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Just about to post here. He has a 3 piece band I think. Really looking forward to it. Gonna get the new album tomorrow and give it a few spins before tomorrow night

If it's the same band as last year it could be like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SiC8GrTtes&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭cudsy1

http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=john+cale

recent setlists

this from 2 weeks ago

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-cale/2012/riverfront-theater-chicago-il-1bddf5b8.html

half n half old and new ie last years EP and the new album

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Anyone listen to the new album yet?

• Advertisement

No not yet, just heard the two tracks on here. Gonna pick it up tomorrow before the gig and listen to if a few times.

CiaranK wrote: »
    No not yet, just heard the two tracks on here. Gonna pick it up tomorrow before the gig and listen to if a few times.

Yeah, I've heard those two singles too. They both sound pretty good. Hopefully, the rest of the album is just as good.

Anyone know who the support act is? I've been trying to find out but having no luck.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Anyone know who the support act is? I've been trying to find out but having no luck.

No support for the gig tonight. Cale on stage 8.45-10.30(ish)

New record very, very electronic. It's interesting. Haven't quite decided if I like it or not yet though.

• Advertisement

Just had a listen to the new album and i have to say I'm liking it. Scotland yard being one of the standout tracks for me. Anyway, can't wait for the gig, should be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Not a great gig for me.

Didn't play anything from my favourite albums.

He seemed to just want to get through the set and get out of there. No encore.

Haven't seen him before so not sure if this is the norm.

bullpost wrote: »
    Not a great gig for me.

Didn't play anything from my favourite albums.

He seemed to just want to get through the set and get out of there. No encore.

Haven't seen him before so not sure if this is the norm.

Yeah, I was disappointed that there was no encore and he didn't play much of his older stuff. He played Gun at his last show and that's my favourite song of his so I was disappointed that he didn't play it last night. I still enjoyed it though.

I really enjoyed it. The new stuff worked very live. I think Cale is a genius. The sounds were so good. The drummer had lots to do setting off triggers all the time for different sounds to sweep across. It's hard to believe he is 70. You wouldn't think it when he is playing that strat last night. He was due to play Gun at the end according to the setlist. He seemed wrecked when he was walking off the stage. I just don't think he had it in him to do the extra song. Overall I thought it was a fantastic evening. Cale is somebody I've always wanted to see :)

I really enjoyed it. The new stuff worked very live. I think Cale is a genius. The sounds were so good. The drummer had lots to do setting off triggers all the time for different sounds to sweep across. It's hard to believe he is 70. You wouldn't think it when he is playing that strat last night. He was due to play Gun at the end according to the setlist. He seemed wrecked when he was walking off the stage. I just don't think he had it in him to do the extra song. Overall I thought it was a fantastic evening. Cale is somebody I've always wanted to see :)

Yeah, despite the disappointment, I definitely enjoyed it. The sound was great and the backing band were very good. It was definitely as good a show as you can expect from someone that's 70.

Just on another note, I think the photograph thing was way over the top. Someone takes one photo and security is over straight away. It'd be a different thing if someone was holding up a big SLR camera, flashing away all night, blocking peoples view. It was getting distracting having him having to push through the crowd all the time. With phones now it is a ridiculous to try and stop everyone taking photos. It's not like they would be sold on O'Connell bridge the way they might have been years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Didn't know that.

I was considering bringing a good camera in so happy now I didn't.
    Just on another note, I think the photograph thing was way over the top. Someone takes one photo and security is over straight away. It'd be a different thing if someone was holding up a big SLR camera, flashing away all night, blocking peoples view. It was getting distracting having him having to push through the crowd all the time. With phones now it is a ridiculous to try and stop everyone taking photos. It's not like they would be sold on O'Connell bridge the way they might have been years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pedrofcuk

Advertisement