Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should universities be reformed?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Hours vary from course to course. For example, I do B.Sc. BIS in NUIG and you could be in early enough that it's still dark outside, and then only come back when the library closes at 10, plus you have an option of staying in until 1:30am in the reading room afterwards — which tends to happen the odd time. Maybe it's just your course, personally I welcome all this work, it keeps me occupied and away from the College Bar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Prophet lol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ah here 13 hours? Are you studying law or something? When I was studying science I was in from 9 until 6 four for lectures and lab work bar friday when I only had lectures and was in from 9 until 3.

im doing law and have 24 hours of lectures a week!!:mad: not as much as other but not 13 like:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There are 250 people in my maths lecture and my lecturer has to mark all mid terms and term exams, make notes for us and does her own research.

There's a very good chance that your lecturer gets one their underlings grad students to do the correcting for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't know what course you did, but most days I'm in at 9am and don't get out of college till the place closes. We have about 28 hours of lectures/labs per week. But usually have to stay on extra for project work/use of machines. I would love the extra time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The thing I have always wondered about is ..how come you can do an honors degree in 3 years in the UK, but it take 4 years here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

mariaalice wrote: »
    The thing I have always wondered about is ..how come you can do an honors degree in 3 years in the UK, but it take 4 years here?

I think a lot of the NUI degrees are 3 years actually-Arts and Commerce in UCD and Maynooth definately are.

The UK and to a lesser extent Ireland are the only states in the western world with 3 year degrees as far as I know. The US, Canada, France and Germany are all 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Op would ya do me favour and record urself having a talk with the dean of your school or the president of the university about this issue,maby then you will realise how silly your thread is,if you are attending college for 12-13 hrs a week what do expect to be at?scratching ur hole doing nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Actually maybe the OP has a point, if he can manage to get through first year; maybe we do need a reform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Odysseus wrote: »
    Actually maybe the OP has a point, if he can manage to get through first year; maybe we do need a reform.

Me-oowww!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I think a lot of the NUI degrees are 3 years actually-Arts and Commerce in UCD and Maynooth definately are.

The UK and to a lesser extent Ireland are the only states in the western world with 3 year degrees as far as I know. The US, Canada, France and Germany are all 4 years.

It takes six semesters to complete a bachelor's degree in Germany. But you can go on for longer if you want.

Advertisement