Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Dimension 5150 graphics upgrade

Options
  • 08-02-2012 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All!

Im looking at upgrading the graphics card on my Dell Dimension 5150.I realize that this is a fairly old machine but a new system is just not in the budget at the moment. Im hoping a new graphics card will help with streaming videos and some casual gaming.Any advice on a suitable card would be greatly appreciated. Current system specs are as follows:

Dell Dimension DM051
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80Ghz
    2.79Ghz, 0.99 GB of Ram
    Windows XP Service Pack 3

Im also hoping to add another 2 GB of RAM

Any suggestions or advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I searched but couldn't find benchmarks. But all the forums seem to suggest that your CPU will be the main bottle neck. But that it might still be useful to do.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/gaming/f/3344/t/19257552.aspx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have your desktop PC at work. I threw in an old 3650 into it last year and can play the likes of COD4 no problem. New games will struggle under the CPU though.

I recommend that if you're really pushing to upgrade this, something cheap like the 6450 would give it a noticable bump in graphics performance. Don't expect modern games to run on it. Black ops barely runs. Games 2 years or so older run fine in my experience. Will also do the job for HD streaming.

Also for RAM, your desktop currently has 2 512mb sticks in it. It can maximum support 1GB per channel, up to 4 1GB sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chuffs20

Thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

COD4 is pretty undemanding. I find on my Core2Duo@2Ghz and GS7900 (laptop) I can play it as medium settings ok. But anything else after that, like COD5 just crawls, of anything more demanding of the same era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 McCon

hoping to get going on a rebuild project with two grandchildren to make the old DELL Dimension 3000 come back to life. Monitor is working - machine not powering up - fan on heat sink over the CPU not working so it could be the CPU is damaged beyond repair. Does anyone have a similar machine(s) that we can cannibalize ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

My friend still uses that same machine to play World of Warcraft

I gave him an ATI 4670 a good while back and it ran fine.

You can pick up the newer ATI 5670 for about 50 euros (less secondhand on ebay) or the 6670 for a little higher. You can get those cards in single slot versions if space is tight.

Your power supply should be grand for those cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 McCon

thats good to hear -tks

Advertisement