Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insomnia

• 08-02-2012 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

What are peoples experiences with insomnia. Most of us will get it at some point in our lives.
    I have it bad enough right now. I'm about to go to bed in the next 45 mins but I know I'll wake up around 5ish and not be able to sleep again. Then I'll fell tired around 12ish but can't go to sleep then.
    I get lots of energy around 2200-2300 which is really annoying.
    I've have sleeping aids but they're not much use. The tablets don't do much for me to be honest, and leave me with a dazed felling the next day.
    Anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Don't worry about Insomnia, it's not worth losing sleep over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I have sleeping aids

Teddy has Aids.

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Stop taking sleeping pills.

You just need to rebalance your rhythms. It never worked for me but that's because I never tried it.

Stop posting on Boards late at night or doing anything stimulating just before sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Sindri wrote: »
    late at night or doing anything stimulating just before sleeping.
    o.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Teddy has Aids.

Lol.
    :pac::D

Whoopsi! I can't thank that....can I...
    This is how rumors start:P

• Advertisement

Stop taking sleeping pills.

You just need to rebalance your rhythms. It never worked for me but that's because I never tried it.

Stop posting on Boards late at night or doing anything stimulating just before sleeping.
    I'm about to shutdown but I bet I will post here again around 5ish. We just hope I'm wrong:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Have a good fap before bedtime, that should see you through the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a good nights sleep helps

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Watch the first star wars film (of the new ones, the one with JarJar Dickhead in it). Never fails to put me to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Have suffered from insomnia on and off, it's usually a big session or holidays that mess me up.

I find getting up early-ish say around 7.30am and not having a nap in the evening, regardless of how tired you are, works for me. You'll soon get back into a normal routine. If you bring your laptop to bed with you make sure you lower its brightness right down and as soon as you feel yourself dozing off close it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Get a routine going before bedtime, for example I always watch certain programmes in bed.

Listen to some relaxing sounds ie waterfalls, rain, drumbeats

www.soundsleeping.com

I'm about to shutdown but I bet I will post here again around 5ish. We just hope I'm wrong:(

I drink alcohol. Works a charm.;)

darokane wrote: »
    Get a routine going before bedtime, for example I always watch certain programmes in bed.

www.soundsleeping.com
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76950839&postcount=36
    Yep was using that last night, but work up about 4.40.

Alcohol is not good for a real sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I had it bad for years turns out i was depressed with an anexity disorder, medication working sleeping better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I struggle to sleep at least a few nights a week. I'm reluctant to class it as insomnia, however, as I think it's partially attributable to over-stimulation late at night (I always go online before bed and usually play games).

I normally end up sleeping between two and three and I have to get up at eight the following morning for school.

The most annoying thing is that society is pretty much orientated towards early mornings and I normally only feel energised sometime around 7pm most evenings. Working nights in the future may be beneficial for me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

www.soundsleeping.com

with your left hand on the mouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

luckyfrank wrote: »
    I had it bad for years turns out i was depressed with an anexity disorder, medication working sleeping better
    That's unlucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

do you do any running? i find since i took up running i sleep alot better, i go out on my 20 min run at about 8:30pm, uuughhhh i didnt go tonight tho because i had a chinese.... food that is ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

do you do any running? i find since i took up running i sleep alot better, i go out on my 20 min run at about 8:30pm, uuughhhh i didnt go tonight tho because i had a chinese.... food that is ...
    exersize that late is not a good idea or eating a chinese for that matter, i agree that a fap is good releases chemiclas in the brain for you to relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My work means some night i finish work at 5am and it just messes up my sleep pattern for days after. I take one sleeping tablet on the night before my days off, that then give me a good nights sleep with an early wake up. Puts me right for my two days off but back to work messes me up again.

• Advertisement

BED!!

NOW TEDDY. I'll bring you up some warm milk and cookies and read you a story. Do you like TV Guide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've had the odd dose of it. Went on two weeks straight once and on and off the odd time if my mind is buzzing or over thinking, but got over it cause eventually I get so tired or over tired I pass out from exhaustion so have to catch up on lack of sleep.

Best thing is to calm your mind down. Totally relax your mind and body before going to bed. Dim the lights and do something that bore you or get you to sleep like reading a book to get you to sleep and totally relax. Listen to relaxing or slow moving solo music.

Over-stimulation like lights, over thinking, stress, worry, technology - computer and tv, and certain foods and drinks can or being sick with a cold even might upset your sleeping hormone's and sleeping/REM/Body Clock rhythm.

with your left hand on the mouse?

:D
    You have to skip the boring bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

luckyfrank wrote: »
    exersize that late is not a good idea or eating a chinese for that matter, i agree that a fap is good releases chemiclas in the brain for you to relax

ok for the chinese, that stuff aint good for anyone what ever time of day it is, but why is running bad for you at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

We just hope I'm wrong:(
    Insomnia seems to be the least of your mental problems.

Anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

At the count of three I pull back the duvet

Made my way to the refrigerator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I also have sleeping aids, it sucks. :-/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I love bedtime and I don't have insomnia, even though I often stay up quite late. A lot of the time I'd fall asleep in front of the fire, or doze off in an armchair while listening to some music.

It has lead to some embarrassments when I was younger though, once I had a **** in the sitting room in just the candelight. I sputzed all over my teeshirt but I drifted off without cleaning it. When my parents came home they woke me up and I have forgotten about the jizz on my chest front. I had a full conversation with them and walked around the house for about 20 minutes before my sister eventually pulled me aside. Cringe city!

The-Rigger wrote: »

What about when you're awake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Insomnia sucks. I find myself that lying in bed willing myself to go back to sleep doesn't work. Get up have a cup of tea and go back to bed and I drift right off. I find staying in bed and fighting it makes me feel stressed so I stay awake longer. I hope you get a good nights sleep soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Not as bad as Cat AIDS.

If anyone needs help sleeping, PM me.

I'll exhaust you baby, all night long.

p.s. Teddy, it's free for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What about when you're awake?

Clean as a whistle, it's the damndest thing.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Not as bad as Cat AIDS.

Funny, I just read an article today in National Geographic about a study being done with cats and AIDS.

It could lead to better treatments.

Hold in there El Weirdo, and please, never use my eating utensils or lavatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

If anyone needs help sleeping, PM me.

I'll exhaust you baby, all night long.

p.s. Teddy, it's free for you.

so everyone else gets charged? for that?

• Advertisement

so everyone else gets charged? for that?

You don't but very few here could afford me.:p

Clean as a whistle, it's the damndest thing.

Remind me never to roofy you.

Advertisement