Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POS Acronyms

• 08-02-2012 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been reviewing my bank statements from over the hectic Xmas period, and I have a lot of POS (Point of Sale) transactions.
    All these transactions are followed by an abbreviation of the shop/company/vendor that sometimes bears no resemblance to the shop name,
    hence I am struggling to identify some transactions.

My question is a simple one,
    Is there a list of the POS codes/abbreviations available to Johnny Public, or must I contact the bank and query each one that I can't figure out myself ?

Thanks,
    SD13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Don't you have the till receipt / Laser / Debit Card transaction slip with which to reconcile the statement? Seems like a laborious but reasonably simple exercise to decode them. I tend to reconcile on date & transaction amount and not care much about the "where" part unless there's a problem (like a double debit for example), in which case I have the receipts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

Not all of them, at this stage.
    If there was a way to check where it each transaction took place, for me, that would verify it satisfactorily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Laser Card transactions used to have a very cryptic "LR0112" - Laser 01 December - for example, transaction code which unfortunately is far less understandable than the detail given by a credit card, for example. What type of card(s) were you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

Using Laser card,
    A sample of some of the ID/transaction codes,

POS-PENNEYS LIMERI

MSP-WH SMITH

GTSISCT112870847

POS-CRE.

While some are quite obvious, some are impossible to translate.
    Looking at the date and amount usually tells me where I spent it, but why should it be so difficult to translate.
    There must be a database of the ID code, to match against the name and address of business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement