Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you drink alcohol, yet you are against other drugs...

• 08-02-2012 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Are you a huge hypocrite

In my opinion, yes!

anyone that drinks alcohol or smokes tobacco yet are against cannabis,cocaine,heroin users are the biggest hypocrites there is

Alcohol and tobacco users are the biggest cost to the health service in most countries yet these legal drugs are tolerated more than the illegal drugs out there

i just dont get it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Not really, alcohol can have medicinal benefits.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well, I've never heard this argument before! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

jimpump wrote: »
    Are you a huge hypocrite

In my opinion, yes!

anyone that drinks alcohol or smokes tobacco yet are against cannabis,cocaine,heroin users are the biggest hypocrites there is

Alcohol and tobacco users are the biggest cost to the health service in most countries yet these legal drugs are tolerated more than the illegal drugs out there

i just dont get

I think you may be mixing up use and abuse. Just because I have a glass of wine at dinner but am against cannabis,cocaine,heroin use I am the biggest hypocrites there is? Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

People have been conditioned with falsehoods and propaganda since the 20s its not hard to see where they are coming from.
    They are wrong and hypocrites but its not their fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Ok bye now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Sindri wrote: »

are ya sure bout that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Anyone who disagrees with me yet breathes air is a hypocrite!!

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Ok bye now..

interesting response :rolleyes:

interesting response :rolleyes:

To such an equally interesting and inspiring thread.

Of course.

So can weed and cocaine can be used in dentistry, also there are studies that mdma can help with parkinsons cancer and MS.
    All alcohol can do is clean a wound.

• Advertisement

are ya sure bout that?

As sure as one can be. Are you sure of what you wrote in the OP.

So can weed and cocaine can be used in dentistry, also there are studies that mdma can help with parkinsons cancer and MS.

Not true.

Guinness is rich in iron, they used to give out free pints to people after donating blood.

FALSE

Its also gotten me laid! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Big big big difference between drink and heroin, cocaine's a crazy drug as well. Cannabis should be decriminalised, I'd say it's roughly as dangerous as drink. Your point falls down with heroin, it can actually ruin a whole life in one hour. It's not like being for or against different types of rape, it is not a black and white issue, people and substance use is not a simple issue, to say otherwise is simply naive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Alcohol and cigarettes are legal, cannibis, cocaine, etc are not!

Forgive me for not wanting to end up in Mountjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Alcohol is a drug and if it was newly discovered it would be promptly banned. It causes many problems, but so do drugs and if they were legal they would cause more problems.

So no I do not equate the two and i am not for legalising drugs.

As sure as one can be. Are you sure of what you wrote in the OP.

explain...

cocaine is used in dentistry

heroin,cannabis are used to relieve pain

only thing alcohol does is maybe clean a wound and damage your liver

explain...

Are you reading your own thread? look at post #13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i drink and smoke but i dont do drugs. tbh i couldnt give a **** if the next person is on drugs as long as they dont interfere with me or my family

• Advertisement

explain...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76971349&postcount=13

Big big big difference between drink and heroin, cocaine's a crazy drug as well. Cannabis should be decriminalised, I'd say it's roughly as dangerous as drink. Your point falls down with heroin, it can actually ruin a whole life in one hour. It's not like being for or against different types of rape, it is not a black and white issue, people and substance use is not a simple issue, to say otherwise is simply naive.

yet heroin/opiates/diamorphine keep plenty of people who have pain beyond belief live a normal life

get your facts straight

explain...

Maybe if you're living about 100 years ago.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

man are you stupid?
    drink and fags arnt drugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I can guarantee booze is far more dangerous then Cannabis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Doc wrote: »
    I think you may be mixing up use and abuse. Just because I have a glass of wine at dinner but am against cannabis,cocaine,heroin use I am the biggest hypocrites there is? Grow up.

And many cannabis users don't abuse it either.
    Having a smoke or a vape after dinner instead of the glass of wine at dinner.

Guinness is rich in iron,

Not any more.

QFT...... http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49735000/gif/_49735645_drugs_comparisons_464gr.gif
    Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin' says Prof David Nutt

Alcohol is more harmful than heroin or crack when the overall dangers to the individual and society are considered, according to a study in the Lancet.

The report is co-authored by Professor David Nutt, the former government chief drugs adviser who was sacked in 2009.

It ranked 20 drugs on 16 measures of harm to users and to wider society.

Heroin, crack and crystal meth were deemed worst for individuals, with alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine worst for society, and alcohol worst overall.

The study by the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs also said tobacco and cocaine were judged to be equally harmful, while ecstasy and LSD were among the least damaging.
    Harm score

Professor Nutt refused to leave the drugs debate when he was sacked from his official post by the former Labour Home Secretary, Alan Johnson.

He went on to form the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs, which says it aims to investigate the drug issue without any political interference.

One of its other members is Dr Les King, another former government adviser who quit over Prof Nutt's treatment.

Members of the group, joined by two other experts, scored each drug for harms including mental and physical damage, addiction, crime and costs to the economy and communities.

The study involved 16 criteria, including a drug's affects on users' physical and mental health, social harms including crime, "family adversities" and environmental damage, economic costs and "international damage".
    'Valid and necessary'

The findings run contrary to the government's long-established drug classification system, but the paper's authors argue that their system - based on the consensus of experts - provides an accurate assessment of harm for policy makers.

"Our findings lend support to previous work in the UK and the Netherlands, confirming that the present drug classification systems have little relation to the evidence of harm," the paper says.

"They also accord with the conclusions of previous expert reports that aggressively targeting alcohol harms is a valid and necessary public health strategy."

In 2007, Prof Nutt and colleagues undertook a limited attempt to create a harm ranking system, sparking controversy over the criteria and the findings.

The new, more complex, system ranked alcohol as three times more harmful than cocaine or tobacco. Ecstasy was ranked as causing one-eighth the harm of alcohol.

It also contradicted the Home Office's decision to make the so-called legal high mephedrone a Class B drug, saying that alcohol was five times more harmful.

The rankings have been published to coincide with a conference on drugs policy, organised by Prof Nutt's committee.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210

Doc wrote: »
    FALSE

Its also gotten me laid! ;)

and probably got you on a floppy

Maybe if you're living about 100 years ago.. :confused:
    40 years ago actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭inagoodway

yes

• Advertisement

40 years ago actually.

That made me lol. :P

Jagle wrote: »
    man are you stupid?
    drink and fags arnt drugs

Not sure if serious???

No you can't. You may be able to guarantee that people who drink over the recomended daly alowance of alcohol can be at a far greater risk but not if they dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If you regularly get pissed drunk yet condemn people who occasionally take narcotics, yes you're a hypocrite IMO.

As for the ethics angle: there are numerous industries - e.g. coffee, tea, chocolate, soft drinks, clothing, footwear - where abuse is rife.

The legal angle? Fair enough, but I still don't see a cause for someone who gets pissed often being influenced by this. Simply not taking narcotics would suffice IMO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If you abuse alcohol and are against people taking other drugs, you're a hypocrite.
    If you like a few pints at the weekend and look down on someone who likes to have a few joints instead, you're a hypocrite.
    If you like a few pints at the weekend but disagree with a highly addictive drug like heroin, you're probably just a sensible person.

• Advertisement

That made me lol. :P

put down that vodka and red bull and pick up a book

educate yourself

and probably got you on a floppy

Nope not once yet thank god. The comment was only meant as a joke though.

But herion is just so deliciously moreish. :pac:

3units a day, or a pint and a half is the recommended dasily intake for males in this country..
    promise you no one ever has that little, having a few pints in the pub with the lads will intake more, and bottom line people dont follow these limits.

http://www.saferchoice.org/content/view/24/53/

both graphs in these article just show how dangerous drink is

Kids in Italy and France drink a small amount of wine with their lunch/dinner regularly, obviously that is not 'more dangerous' than cannabis or any other illegal drug which would obviously not be given to them as they are dangerous.

end of pointless thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Guinness is rich in iron, they used to give out free pints to people after donating blood.

It has some iron. Certainly not rich in it.

Not sure if serious???

defo not serious.

but often the argument you hear from the great ignorant populace

If you abuse alcohol and are against people taking other drugs, you're a hypocrite.
    If you like a few pints at the weekend and look down on someone who likes to have a few joints instead, you're a hypocrite.
    If you like a few pints at the weekend but disagree with a highly addictive drug like heroin, you're probably just a sensible person.

what about a few smokes of heroin the odd time?

i guarantee its just as safe as a few pints the odd time as well

everything in moderation

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Kids in Italy and France drink a small amount of wine with their lunch/dinner regularly, obviously that is not 'more dangerous' than cannabis or any other illegal drug which would obviously not be given to them as they are dangerous.

end of pointless thread?

End of pointless posts instead maybe?

everything in moderation

Yeah I'm sure the junkies at the Luas stations in Dublin will totally agree with you..

Role model material and all that.

Yakult wrote: »
    End of pointless posts instead maybe?

What the OP's?

:pac: heh heh

everything in moderation

really this argument? you cant compare cannabis to alcohol, you can compare alcohol to heroin tho, as its abuse you cant deny over the past generations of our people, and worldwide alcohol and tobacco kills more people then hitler ever did.

but hey dont wanna offend your ignorant opinion, id say you would be surprised how many people you interact with daily smoke weed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

end of pointless thread?

Shur Jaysus himself drank it............
    ? you cant compare cannabis to alcohol, you can compare alcohol tho,

*Brain explodes*

really this argument? you cant compare cannabis to alcohol, you can compare alcohol tho, as its abuse you cant deny over the past generations of our people, and worldwide alcohol and tobacco kills more people then hitler ever did.

but hey dont wanna offend your ignorant opinion, id say you would be surprised how many people you interact with daily smoke weed

I think they were actually being serious... :eek:

What about methylated spirits.

It cannot be bought off the street any more, it causes blindness and madness but up to a few years ago it was able to be bought in pharmacies rather easily.

Should that be legal?

Or a highly addictive substance which can cause death?

Or acetone, lets all drink that.

Or uranium, that should be legal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement