Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you drink alcohol, yet you are against other drugs...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Jagle wrote: »

but often the argument you hear from the great ignorant populace

Due to being misinformed *Cough* news article not so long ago *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

mikom wrote: »
    Shur Jaysus himself drank it............
    made it himself too, copyright infringer he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭many

I would tend to agree with you, but I don't think hypocrite is the right word.

I think it's more due to the fact that certain substances are allowed in our society and others are illegal, I think that is why people view cannabis in a harsher light than tobacco.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

We look for the little good in evil and magnify it and then call it good in it's entirety .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Doc wrote: »
    I think you may be mixing up use and abuse. Just because I have a glass of wine at dinner but am against cannabis,cocaine,heroin use I am the biggest hypocrites there is? Grow up.
    not all drug users binge, some do them in moderation, just like a glass of wine every evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

No you can't. You may be able to guarantee that people who drink over the recomended daly alowance of alcohol can be at a far greater risk but not if they dont.

:rolleyes:
    http://alcoholireland.ie/alcohol-facts/

just pulled the very 1st stat I saw there from the pile, 10% liver cancer in males, 3.33% in Females.

Cannabis,

here's a few state funded studies which resulted in no increase in cancer of the patients over a lengthy period

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1360-0443.2002.00003.x/full

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sure the junkies at the Luas stations in Dublin will totally agree with you..

Role model material and all that.

most of them are off their head on legal tablets called zimovanes

h

What the OP's?

:pac: heh heh

think that was meant for u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Yakult wrote: »
    Due to being misinformed *Cough* news article not so long ago *cough*

oh youtalking about the article in the irish times a few saturdays ago?

PLEEEASE what a load of scaremongering nonsense,

Subject 1. female i think if i remember right talked about buying 4 50bags of weed a week. now any decent smoker would realise that for 200 a week, you can get 10grams of weed(going by the standard bad drug dealer bags of 2.5grams for 50, should be 3.3) would buy an Oz for 350(28.34 grams) first issue.
    second the being paranoid, i dont agree with anyone who has a prior mental illness smoking a psychoactive chemical, just as anyone with liver problems shouldnt drink, but no study has yet to take into account if the person had the ability to develop mental problems later in life that ive come across if you know any please share. and keeping something illegal makes a user have some level of paranoia as they are doing something that can get the busted, the going buying the drugs, driving with it in your car and such makes people nervous knowing that its an offense. cant remeber the rest of the nonsense if i can dig it out i will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Two big glasses of wine a day triples cancer risk

REGULARLY drinking two large glasses of wine or two strong pints of beer a day triples the risk of developing mouth cancer, research has shown.
    The findings came as it emerged that cancer was responsible for almost half of all deaths in Ireland last year.
    Health experts recommend that men should not regularly drink more than three to four units a day, while women should not regularly drink more than two to three per day.
    And drinkers are being advised to cut down by having alcohol-free days, not drinking at home before going out, swapping to low or alcohol-free drinks and using smaller glasses in a bid to cut the risks.
    The survey of more than 2,000 drinkers in Britain found that 85pc did not realise that drinking more than the recommended limits increased the risk of developing breast cancer.

more here:
    http://www.independent.ie/health/health-news/two-big-glasses-of-wine-a-day-triples-cancer-risk-3010673.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

jimpump wrote: »
    think that was meant for u

I don't think you get it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Good to see ignorance is still alive and well :D hup

*Brain explodes*

typo, go back and reread i edited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Alcohol and tobacco users are the biggest cost to the health service in most countries yet these legal drugs are tolerated more than the illegal drugs out there

i just dont get it

considering how much the government gets theres days off each box of smokes I don't think that's a fair argument.

really this argument? you cant compare cannabis to alcohol, you can compare alcohol to heroin tho, as its abuse you cant deny over the past generations of our people, and worldwide alcohol and tobacco kills more people then hitler ever did.

but hey dont wanna offend your ignorant opinion, id say you would be surprised how many people you interact with daily smoke weed

surprised? not at all

smoke weed, take tablets,smoke brown, drink....sure thats 90% of this population

im not surprised at all man

• Advertisement

surprised? not at all

smoke weed, take tablets,smoke brown, drink....sure thats 90% of this population

im not surprised at all man

so why are we hidding it letting gangs make millions off it and ruining our society, look at portugal and tell me we are right? look at america, even the medical thing is a huge tax take. Harbor Side Dispensary in cali paid 21 million in taxes last year and is a non profit. Watch weed wars on discovery channel and tell me we are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

:rolleyes:
    http://alcoholireland.ie/alcohol-facts/

just pulled the very 1st stat I saw there from the pile, 10% liver cancer in males, 3.33% in Females.

Cannabis,

here's a few state funded studies which resulted in no increase in cancer of the patients over a lengthy period

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1360-0443.2002.00003.x/full

The stats you refer to do not reflect the people that I specificaly pointed out to you it reflects people who drink over the recomended daly alowance of alcohol.

For every statefunded studie that shows no like to increases in cancer in cannabis users I could show you one that says it dose. Not only that but most reserch due to the ilegality of cannabis use are inconclusive in there findings. Cancer would not be my major issue with cannabis use anyway it would be the mental healt issues that I believe it can cause. I really dont want to get into a discussion regarding.

not all drug users binge, some do them in moderation, just like a glass of wine every evening

never said they did

so why are we hidding it letting gangs make millions off it and ruining our society, look at portugal and tell me we are right? look at america, even the medical thing is a huge tax take. Harbor Side Dispensary in cali paid 21 million in taxes last year and is a non profit. Watch weed wars on discovery channel and tell me we are right.

are you mistaking me with someone else?

im actually in favour of legalising all drugs...read my OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Cancer would not be my major issue with cannabis use anyway it would be the mental healt issues that I believe it can cause. I really dont want to get into a discussion regarding.

Something for your mind there....
    Cannabis and mental illness – the Keele Study

Something we’ve been waiting for ages for has finally arrived; the government has (albeit very quietly) published the study from Keele University entitled “Assessing the impact of cannabis use on trends in diagnosed schizophrenia in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2005″ (edit 2011 – read the full paper here)
    Some 16 months back the Guardian ran an item about the proposed (as it was then) reclassification of cannabis to class B. Under the heading “Brown plans tougher line on cannabis against advice of own drug experts” the paper reported research carried out by a team from Keele University:
    Their confidential paper found that between 1996 and 2005 there had been significant reductions in the incidence and prevalence of schizophrenia. From 2000 onwards there were also significant reductions in the prevalence of psychoses.
    The authors say this data is “not consistent with the hypothesis that increasing cannabis use in earlier decades is associated with increasing schizophrenia or psychoses from the mid-1990s onwards.”

“[T]he expected rise in diagnoses of schizophrenia and psychoses did not occur over a 10 year period. This study does not therefore support the specific causal link between cannabis use and incidence of psychotic disorders. … This concurs with other reports indicating that increases in population cannabis use have not been followed by increases in psychotic incidence.”

http://ukcia.org/wordpress/?p=76
    The Lancet published a meta-analysis that set the world spinning, even fooling Australias ABC Catalyst programme.
    Of 6.2 million cannabis smokers, 800 reported symptoms of psychosis. Or 0.00125% of cannabis smokers suffered a psychotic episode.No, we do not know what caused the episode – only that they also smoked cannabis.
    Also of the 800 out of 6.2 million we can see that 99.99875% of cannabis smokers do not experience a psychotic episode.
    Please remember 200% changes are considered lower level in the significance stakes. Lancet report a 40% increase. Also please remember alcohol causes an 800% increase in the risk of schizophrenia.

• Advertisement

Cannabis triggers mental health problems in a lot of people, not everyone of course, but that's the main problem with it. Mental health is a lot more important than taxes or money, and there are a lot more ways of making money.

Not wanting to get into a big discussion as that is off topic but I thought it should be pointed out.

Cannabis triggers mental health problems in a lot of people, not everyone of course, but that's the main problem with it.

According to the Lancet 0.00125% of cannabis smokers suffered a psychotic episode.
    I'll take those odds.

Cannabis triggers mental health problems in a lot of people, not everyone of course, but that's the main problem with it. Mental health is a lot more important than taxes or money, and there are a lot more ways of making money.

Not wanting to get into a big discussion as that is off topic but I thought it should be pointed out.

this is the reason why heroin is safer than cannabis

According to the Lancet 0.00125% of cannabis smokers suffered a psychotic episode.
    I'll take those odds.

No, as in depression etc.

And you're not going to find stats on it because it's not exactly something people would report. It can't be denied, I just thought it was an important thing to point out.

Something for your mind there....

Mikom I have based my judgment on a lot of reading and research into the subject. I have not solely looked at things trying to prove the point of view that cannabis was bad. I wanted to find out if it had the effects that I thought it might have. I have spoken to doctors and read a lot. I am perfectly happy to admit that there is contrasting opinions and research backing both points of view but after seriously looking into it I have formed my own opinion. I am also happy to admit that people can often use it without many if any negative outcomes. I don’t begrudge anyone their own opinions on the subject and would never judge anyone for using it themselves as it’s their life but I would not encourage anyone to use it and I would not want it to be legal because of my experience and research. I am always happy to read through any new information on the subject and I have not closed my mind to the subject at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Are you a huge hypocrite

In my opinion, yes!

anyone that drinks alcohol or smokes tobacco yet are against cannabis,cocaine,heroin users are the biggest hypocrites there is

Alcohol and tobacco users are the biggest cost to the health service in most countries yet these legal drugs are tolerated more than the illegal drugs out there

Alri, alri,

I'll sort this Oi will.

So the question is whether people who drink alcohol or smoke or chew tobacco are hypocrites if they are against the use?:confused: (or legalisation?) of other recreational drugs.

And what do you do to validate this argument but...

This is true yes. An unbelievable proportion of money giving to treat substance abuse is used to treat tobacco and alcohol related diseases.

Why does this make those people hypocrites though?
    i just dont get it

Neither do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

But herion is just so deliciously moreish. :pac:

I heard it can give you a bit of a gippy tummy.

Mikom I have based my judgment on a lot of reading and research into the subject. I have not solely looked at things trying to prove the point of view that cannabis was bad. I wanted to find out if it had the effects that I thought it might have. I have spoken to doctors and read a lot. I am perfectly happy to admit that there is contrasting opinions and research backing both points of view but after seriously looking into it I have formed my own opinion. I am also happy to admit that people can often use it without many if any negative outcomes. I don’t begrudge anyone their own opinions on the subject and would never judge anyone for using it themselves as it’s their life but I would not encourage anyone to use it and I would not want it to be legal because of my experience and research. I am always happy to read through any new information on the subject and I have not closed my mind to the subject at all.

I am also happy to read through any new information on the subject.
    Could you provide me with any or all links to your research reading?

I am also happy to read through any new information on the subject.
    Could you provide me with any or all links to your research reading?

Here are some research and reading refrences I have on the computer at the moment not sure how many are online or not but at least the abstract should be up for a lot of them. Reserch into the subject is difficult because of the illigality cannabis.

Self reported cannabis use as a risk factor for schizophrenia in Swedish conscripts of 1969: historical cohort study (2002) Zammit S, Allebeck P, Andreasson S, Lundberg I, Lewis G. British Medical Journal 2002; 325: 1199-1201.

Cannabis use and psychosis: A longitudinal population-based study (2002) Van Os J, Bak M, Hanssen M, Bijl RV, de Graaf R, Verdoux H. American Journal of Epidemiology; 156: 319-327.

Cannabis use in adolescence and risk for adult psychosis: longitudinal prospective study (2002) Arseneault L, Cannon M, Poulton R, Murray R, Caspi A, Moffit TE. British Medical Journal; 325: 1212-1213.

Cannabis use and mental health in young people: cohort study (2002) Patton GC, Coffey C, Carlin JB, Degenhardt L, Lynskey M, Hall W. British Medical Journal; 325: 1195-1198.

A longitudinal study of cannabis use and mental health from adolescence to early adulthood (2000) McGee R, Williams S, Poulton R, Moffitt T. Addiction; 95: 491-503

Mental health of teenagers who use cannabis (2002) Rey JM et al. British Journal of Psychiatry, 180, 216-221.

Prospective cohort study of cannabis use, predisposition for psychosis and psychotic symptoms in young people. Henquet C et al British Medical Journal, 330, 11-14.

Tests of causal linkages between cannabis use and psychotic symptoms (2005) Fergusson DM, Horwood LJ and Ridder EM Addiction, 100 (3).

Cannabis-induced psychosis and subsequent schizophrenia-spectrum disorders: follow-up study of 535 incident cases (2005) Arendt M et al British Journal of Psychiatry, 187: 510 - 515.

Thanks for that Doc.
    These are solid with my views that youngsters (whose brain is not fully developed) should not smoke cannabis.
    It's a view I would hold for cigarettes and alcohol as well.

For adults though?

Question.
    Even though cannabis use rates have risen over the last 40 years, where is the matching increase in psychosis rates?

It is also worth noting that these "psychotic symptoms" measured in a lot of the published cannabis reports are not actual diagnosed illnesses.
    "Psychotic symptoms" identified included "having ideas or beliefs that others do not share" and "feeling that other people cannot be trusted" .
    The social and legal stigmatisation of cannabis would make anyone think that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Are you a huge hypocrite

In my opinion, yes!

anyone that drinks alcohol or smokes tobacco yet are against cannabis,cocaine,heroin users are the biggest hypocrites there is

i just dont get it
    Only because they are legal, socially acceptable and readily available. Could you image the damage caused if cocaine and heroin were as available as alcohol and tobacco :eek: The only one that would be feasible to legalise is cannabis.

Thanks for that Doc.
    These are solid with my views that youngsters (whose brain is not fully developed) should not smoke cannabis.
    It's a view I would hold for cigarettes and alcohol as well.

For adults though?

Question.
    Even though cannabis use rates have risen over the last 40 years, where is the matching increase in psychosis rates?

Mikom as I said I had a perticular intrest in reserching the subject in relation to pericular questions I had. The information I have given is just some of the stuff I have read up on in relation to the questions I had, but I am by no means an expert on psychosis rates and cannabis. There may well be evedence to match increases in psychosis rates I dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Yeah I'm sure the junkies at the Luas stations in Dublin will totally agree with you..

Role model material and all that.

Not to mention the homeless alcoholics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

yet heroin/opiates/diamorphine keep plenty of people who have pain beyond belief live a normal life

get your facts straight

I don't have a problem with people who are terminally ill or in severe pain from using drugs to stop physical pain. I mean morphine is legal in this country in this context.

My point is that heroin shouldn't be legal and widely available to anyone who wants it.

Big big big difference between the first point and the second, if you can't see the difference between these two things than you need to get your facts straight I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

No, as in depression etc.

And you're not going to find stats on it because it's not exactly something people would report. It can't be denied, I just thought it was an important thing to point out.

Seeing as you're bringing this back to depression rather than psychosis, alcohol also causes similar problems when overused/abused - how is that different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I can guarantee booze is far more dangerous then Cannabis

I can guarantee that is not an absolute rule. From my experience cannabis fucks your brain up much more than booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well I partake in the odd pint of Guinness myself, but I also like a doob. Imagine if booze was made illegal, I would be going up to street dealers and saying "any chance of a few tins of that black stuff, the Guinness like." instead of scoring the squiggy black stuff heh heh.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Are you a huge hypocrite

In my opinion, yes!

i just dont get it

Ignoring the fact this thread comes up every two minutes.

In my experience on a motorbike. I didn't take many drugs but one or two of the ones I took, I took a fair amount.
    Cigarettes = never crashed a bike or rode the bike in a bad way cos of them.
    Weed/hash= I got home and slept like a baby.
    Cocaine= I got home and done the best of wheelies and had a little crash, more of a , this corner is comfortable, jaysus I'm on the ground but I'm well comfortable so ill have a nap.
    Bangers /e/etc = I'm home now but why am I watching rossi, I can do that.
    Heroine= oh you're doing that, **** you then buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I like the odd bit of heroin but I can take it or leave it.

It's nice with a meal or while watching the football.

I sometimes tend to go a bit overboard at the weekends, but who doesn't?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think you may be mixing up use and abuse. Just because I have a glass of wine at dinner but am against cannabis,cocaine,heroin use I am the biggest hypocrites there is? Grow up.

So much wrong with this paragraph it's ridiculous.

What you're essentially saying is:
    'I use a drug sensibly. I am still against the use of other drugs sensibly.

'How the hell does that make me a hypocrite'?

That absolutely qualifies you as a hypocrite. Well done for completely contradicting yourself and confirming that you are indeed a hypocrite, while claiming not to be, in the space of two sentences.

Originally Posted by Doc
    I think you may be mixing up use and abuse. Just because I have a glass of wine at dinner but am against cannabis,cocaine,heroin use I am the biggest hypocrites there is? Grow up.”

So much wrong with this paragraph it's ridiculous.

What you're essentially saying is:

Quote:
    'I use a drug sensibly. I am still against the use of other drugs sensibly.

'How the hell does that make me a hypocrite'?

That absolutely qualifies you as a hypocrite. Well done for completely contradicting yourself and confirming that you are indeed a hypocrite, while claiming not to be, in the space of two sentences.

Basically you are just wrong.

What you have done here is wrongly paraphrase and misinterpret what I have said to justify your position. To clarify what I said was responding to the OP who said
    ...anyone that drinks alcohol or smokes tobacco yet are against cannabis,cocaine,heroin users are the biggest hypocrites there is

If I drink in a way that is not harmful to my body and am against use of the illegal drugs cannabis, cocaine and heroin all of which I consider dangerous to use over time unlike the sensible consumption of alcohol then I am not being a hypocrite.

If all people who drank abused alcohol in a way that was dangerous to their health and still thought that that it was okay to do so, but condemned people who used other dangerous drugs then the OP and you would have a point. This is not what he said and why I made the distinction between the consumption of the recommended safe level of alcohol and the abuse of alcohol and why I say that his argument and yours are invalid. It dose not make me a hypocrite in any way.

Basically you are just wrong.

Here's what you said.
    Just because I have a glass of wine at dinner but am against cannabis,cocaine,heroin use I am the biggest hypocrites there is?

I'll answer the question again. Yes, you are indeed a hypocrite.

Here's what you said.
    Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Just because I have a glass of wine at dinner but am against cannabis,cocaine,heroin use I am the biggest hypocrites there is?

I'll answer the question again. Yes, you are indeed a hypocrite.

No that is a partial quote this is what I said

And you have not explanied how I'm being hypocritical, in my last post I clearly explained how I was not.

You say I'm hypocritical without saying why.

And you have not explanied how I'm being hypocritical, in my last post I clearly explained how I was not.

I'm not sure you're going to get this but let's try again.

You believe your having a glass of wine (your drug of choice) is somehow not wrong whereas the use of the other drugs is.

That is an irreconcilable stance, ergo, hypocritical.

You believe your having a glass of wine (your drug of choice) is somehow not wrong whereas the use of the other drugs is.

You believe it to be a irreconcilable stance but it is not.

You are disregarding the huge differences between the use of alcohol (a legal drug that when use within recommend guidelines is safe) to other drugs (which are illegal and with different levels of potential danger and not generally recommend be consumed at all)

I can be in favour of the use of one type without being in favour of the other without being a hypocrite and am simply baffled that you can't understand this.

Just because two things can be classified under the same umbrella term dose not make them the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

You are disregarding the huge differences between the use of alcohol (a legal drug that when use within recommend guidelines is safe) to other drugs (which are illegal and with different levels of potential danger and not generally recommend be consumed at all)

The medical people who claim that alcohol in moderation is fine also happen to be, in most cases, users of the drug themselves. Hmm, I wonder is that just a coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You really equate drinking a glass of wine with injecting a syringe of heroin? You would be equally as comfortable for your kids to take either?

You are disregarding the huge differences between the use of alcohol (a legal drug that when use within recommend guidelines is safe) to other drugs.

This is a logical fallacy; an appeal to common practice. Just because many people drink alcohol and it is visible and accepted in society does not mean that it is a more moral drug. In fact evidence has been presented earlier in this thread that alcohol is one the most destructive drugs availiable.
    (which are illegal and with different levels of potential danger and not generally recommend be consumed at all)

The illegal status of a drug has no bearing on whether it's consumption is wrong or right. Alcohol is illegal in many middle eastern countries - if you partake in alcohol use in these countries you are breaking the law.

Do you think it is fair that you are labelled a criminal in Saudi Arabia for something that you choose to do routinely in Ireland? Of course you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Do you think it is fair that you are labelled a criminal in Saudi Arabia for something that you choose to do routinely in Ireland? Of course you don't.

The country where you can be locked up for kissing. Is that wrong too?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    You really equate drinking a glass of wine with injecting a syringe of heroin? You would be equally as comfortable for your kids to take either?

Who said anything about injecting heroin? Heroin can be smoked. Smoking opium was a common practice before it was outlawed. Why is it any worse than having a pint?

Injecting heroin is abusing the drug rather than using it. Just like slamming cans of cider versus having a glass of wine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement