Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you drink alcohol, yet you are against other drugs...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I love the way people are saying.... drugs bad because heroin destroys your life v's alcohol grand if you just drink sensibly.
    To make a realistic comparison you have to do better than that.

Compare a few joints with a few pints of beer.
    Compare speed with doing tequila slammers.
    Compare cocaine with drinking whiskey.
    Compare heroin with drinking pure ethanol.
    Get real FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 grazz

jimpump wrote: »
    Are you a huge hypocrite

In my opinion, yes!

anyone that drinks alcohol or smokes tobacco yet are against cannabis,cocaine,heroin users are the biggest hypocrites there is

Alcohol and tobacco users are the biggest cost to the health service in most countries yet these legal drugs are tolerated more than the illegal drugs out there

i just dont get it

Alcohol and tobacco destroy more lives than "illegal" drugs. Drink causes violence and family breakdown and deaths. Nobody has ever died taking marijuana or other illegal substances. Government are the biggest hypocrits in the prohibition against perfectly enjoyable and harmless past times. Marijuana is not addictive, tobacco is, how ironic Mr. Government Nannystate you allow more dangerous drugs on the market and make harmless and non addictive stuff illegal and rob its takers of their freedom to enjoy it legally like drinkers and smokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

grazz wrote: »
    Alcohol and tobacco destroy more lives than "illegal" drugs. Drink causes violence and family breakdown and deaths. Nobody has ever died taking marijuana or other illegal substances. Government are the biggest hypocrits in the prohibition against perfectly enjoyable and harmless past times. Marijuana is not addictive, tobacco is, how ironic Mr. Government Nannystate
    Im on the side of legalising drugs but please get your facts straight or everyone will think we are all uneducated ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Alcohol and tobacco destroy more lives than "illegal" drugs. Drink causes violence and family breakdown and deaths. Nobody has ever died taking marijuana or other illegal substances. Government are the biggest hypocrits in the prohibition against perfectly enjoyable and harmless past times. Marijuana is not addictive, tobacco is, how ironic Mr. Government Nannystate you allow more dangerous drugs on the market and make harmless and non addictive stuff illegal and rob its takers of their freedom to enjoy it legally like drinkers and smokers.

[citation needed]

Cannabis is atrociously anti social..

Well duhhh, you arent going to find people smoking it openly in pubs are you. In Holland its no less social than alcohol. Only difference is that you dont see people on weed smashing up things, starting fights, hurting other people, taking up hospital spaces and puking on the street after they are done.

snowfinch wrote: »
    and I think it hypocritical of people who go on about being socially upstanding yet take drugs that fund the lowest of the low.

They made alcohol illegal in America and it was abused by the mob and Al Capone. the prohibition of cannabis and other plants is whats causing the criminal gangs to be around. It also makes the drugs a lot more dangerous because all sorts of crap are put into them, like the mob used to put dangerous chemicals in drink to spread out the profit in the 20s and 30s. When alchohol was illegal, it funded illegal activity. People who want other recreational drugs are made to suffer while drinkers and smokers are allowed to legally carry out their habits which have been proven to cause a lot more social and health problems than drugs which are illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Drugs should be legal because alcohol and tobacco are? Wow, what a flawed, illogical - not to mention boring - argument.

Yes, booze and cigs are bad for your health. That doesn't mean that the flood gates should be opened for more $hit that's bad for you. Logically, alcohol and cigarettes should be made illegal - not the other way round.

To all who dont want weed legalised. Would you smoke weed if it was legal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

You need to be careful with arguments like this. If you finally get everyone to agree that alcohol is just as harmful as other drugs. What WON'T happen is that other drugs will be decriminalised. What WILL happen is that alcohol with either be banned or severely restricted.

In fact that it's slowly happening now as the nanny state gradually tightens the rules and increases the taxes.

To answer the OP's original insult. I am not a hypocrite for liking a drink and thinking other drugs should be kept banned. I would add cigarettes to that because they are addictive and will kill you. Ban them too. It's a pointless drug there is no high whatsoever.

Alcohol is a known quantity learned over the millenia. We know what happens when it's abused. For all the others, everyone of you indulging in a spliff or whatever are undertaking a giant experiment because no one really knows the effect it will have on you.

If someone invented alcohol today, it would be immediately banned for it's effects. But it's been around as long as mankind. Nothing to do with governments wanting to make money out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I spend most of my life giving up one drug or another , after all the pleasantries ware off - a few years off weed , started making me seriously paranoid, if i was not so already , a few years off drink - completly wore me out in the end (my stomach) - currently a few weeks off cigarettes - having just returned from America , the worst drug I see is crack/cocaine/ice - serious mental side effects - they should be illegal IMO - legalising weed would allow it to be properly checked and controlled , getting rid of some of the more toxic additives that are added these days - I'd also legalise heroin, so as to control its usage , similar to the questionable legal methadone approach - either way it doesn't effect me, as i couldn't smoke it again , unless maybe some milder forms of hash - but doubt it

xflyer wrote: »
    You need to be careful with arguments like this. If you finally get everyone to agree that alcohol is just as harmful as other drugs. What WON'T happen is that other drugs will be decriminalised. What WILL happen is that alcohol with either be banned or severely restricted.

In fact that it's slowly happening now as the nanny state gradually tightens the rules and increases the taxes.

To answer the OP's original insult. I am not a hypocrite for liking a drink and thinking other drugs should be kept banned. I would add cigarettes to that because they are addictive and will kill you. Ban them too. It's a pointless drug there is no high whatsoever.

Alcohol is a known quantity learned over the millenia. We know what happens when it's abused. For all the others, everyone of you indulging in a spliff or whatever are undertaking a giant experiment because no one really knows the effect it will have on you.

If someone invented alcohol today, it would be immediately banned for it's effects. But it's been around as long as mankind. Nothing to do with governments wanting to make money out of it.

You do know marijauna has been in use about the same amount of time as beer? Egyptians used it, the chinese, victorians and it was legal until 1930 when american cotten farmers lobbied against the cheaper easier to farm hemp farmers, and then it was told to the masses only lazy blacks and mexicans used it then the lies continued up until today when you are now espouting the same **** the goverments of the world want you to say.

You know what happens when you smoke weed? You watch family guy with your friends or you eat some chips and laugh.

What happens when you drink? You never know whats going to happen leading to kids in hospital, the number of broken jaws going through the roof after the smoking ban. Black outs, date rape and most importantly spousal and child abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I don't give a sh!t what anyone does as long as it doesn't cost me money, or affect me, my family or friends in anyway. Go blow cocaine up a dogs ar$e through a straw for all I care! Just make sure you don't increase the price of cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

They made alcohol illegal in America and it was abused by the mob and Al Capone. the prohibition of cannabis and other plants is whats causing the criminal gangs to be around. It also makes the drugs a lot more dangerous because all sorts of crap are put into them, like the mob used to put dangerous chemicals in drink to spread out the profit in the 20s and 30s. When alchohol was illegal, it funded illegal activity. People who want other recreational drugs are made to suffer while drinkers and smokers are allowed to legally carry out their habits which have been proven to cause a lot more social and health problems than drugs which are illegal.

That is why later on in the same post that you refer to I said that I was for legalisation of drugs as the money would go the state. I have no interest in what other people do with their health. I agree if alcohol were illegal it would fund criminals and criminal activity in which case I wouldn't touch it either.

xflyer wrote: »
    Ah come on now. :)
    Cannabis use 3,000 years, Opium use 4,000 years, and they are just the numbers we have actual evidence of.
    Closer to home, every year many of our lovely fields fill up with a very nice type of Mushroom, and another very interesting one which has been used in shamanistic rituals for thousands of years can be found in our woods, so no doubt the Túatha De Danann or Fir Bolg were using these little gems.

Basically people have been using all sorts of drugs for millennia and an extremely recent ban isn't going to change what seems to be an innate human desire to get of our heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Are you actually comparing drinking alcohol to using herion, cocaine...ect....

The thing is, OP, most if not the majority of people can enjoy a causal few drinks out and not descend into alcoholism.

Yet the majority of heroin users effectively destroy their own lives and others. Correct me if I'm wrong. Alcoholism is terrible and for those who turn into alcoholics, its devestating, but most people can enjoy alcohol safely, bar some who cant.

The use of hard drugs like Heroin have immediate disasterous results on someone. And the studies of cocaine ect.....have proven results of mental disorders occuring due to its usage.

So no, it's not hypocritical. Alcohol has been deemed safe to consume as long as you adhere to the guidelines in place on how much you consume. But considering how addictive Heroin and other hard drugs are, there is a reason why they are not legal.

So is it really that shocking that someone might look down on a person who has destroyed their life with heroin when its been made perfectly clear how destructive the drug is. People who are alcoholics aren't exactly looked at as nicely either. The fact is, people look down at how people have abused something to the extent that their lives are ruined. So naturally, why would you begrudge someone enjoying one glass of wine or a beer ect. If heroin ect could be enjoyed safely without serious consequences, it would be exactly the same. but the fact is, its not.

you couldnt be so wrong

there are plenty of 'casual' heroin users out there as well who only use it the odd time, much like people just going for a few pints at the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

you couldnt be so wrong

there are plenty of 'casual' heroin users out there as well who only use it the odd time, much like people just going for a few pints at the weekend

Heroin is a chemical addiction though and over time recreational use manifests into dependency. It differs from alcohol and tobacco as every heroin addict reaches a stage where stopping use suddenly could kill them, hence recovery treatment consists of been weaned off the drug with the use of methadone etc.

Heroin is a chemical addiction though and over time recreational use manifests into dependency. It differs from alcohol and tobacco as every heroin addict reaches a stage where stopping use suddenly could kill them, hence recovery treatment consists of been weaned off the drug with the use of methadone etc.

what a loada of bull

cold turkey off of heroin has never killed anyone

where did you get this dumb info?

oh and just to add, its actually alcohol that can kill you if stopped suddenly

Methadone is about 60% more addictive than heroin though. But Its a nice drug with a copyright?
    Also the most addictive drug on the market legal or illegal is nicotien and cold turkey can kill you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

what a loada of bull

Probably from a reliable source...

Anyway, sudden heroin withdrawal can be fatal to heavy users. It's not common but if the person is already in poor health it definitely can kill.

Anyway, sudden heroin withdrawal can be fatal to heavy users. It's not common but if the person is already in poor health it definitely can kill.

the key word there is poor health

truth is, unless heroin is injected, it is less harmful than alcohol and nicotine

i have never heard of a heroin OD through smoking it. its those that use the needle(which is a small minority of users) that are most at risk

heroin being smoked is as safe as a pint or smoke of a spliff

• Advertisement

There are 1000 chemicals in a cup of coffee 26 of those have been tested half of which have caused cancer in rats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Never heard of that before and I work and study in the drug treatment area.A possible underlying medical condition may kill , though not withdrawal symptoms.
    Heroin withdrawal can be very uncomfortable , utter agony for some , but it won't kill you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

ntlbell wrote: »
    why do you keep banging on about heroin?

Why can someone not go out and casually have a joint or two?

snort a few lines?

drop an acid or E enjoy their night and go home?

Alcohol obviously because of the larger user base ruins more famlies and homes and lives than any other drug.

why harp on about heroin?

Relax, I just used heroin as an example.

And I obviously dont share the same viewpoint as you regarding drugs whatsoever. Not going to start on this as its a point for another thread. But if you have a history of mental illness in your family, smoking joints ect....can trigger it with awful effects. That's fact.

Relax, I just used heroin as an example.

And I obviously dont share the same viewpoint as you regarding drugs whatsoever. Not going to start on this as its a point for another thread. But if you have a history of mental illness in your family, smoking joints ect....can trigger it with awful effects. That's fact.
    Also if your family has a history of mental illness having pints and doing shots etc... can have truley horrific effects. Thats a FACT.

what a loada of bull

oh and just to add, its actually alcohol that can kill you if stopped suddenly

I really want to throw the word idiot out there, but Id rather not get an infraction. Take it from someone who has family members who work in rehabilitation. Casual Heroin usage nearly always leads to dependency. And cold turkey unless it is managed by a professional in a rehab centre can lead to death, simply because if the addict is a serious addict, their body rejects whats happening to them. actually idiot is the right word. :rolleyes:

I really want to throw the word idiot out there, but Id rather not get an infraction. Take it from someone who has family members who work in rehabilitation. Casual Heroin usage nearly always leads to dependency. And cold turkey unless it is managed by a professional in a rehab centre can lead to death, simply because if the addict is a serious addict, their body rejects whats happening to them. actually idiot is the right word. :rolleyes:
    Wrong. And my brothers a chef that dosent mean I know how to cook a chicken.

Yes, so very wrong you are

look whos the idiot now

Wrong. And my brothers a chef that dosent mean I know how to cook a chicken.

Im not wrong, Temptamperu, the problem is with serious heroin users, serious addicts is, if they go cold turkey without help, they can seriously harm themselves, others, and fatally shoot up if they get their hands on heroin again. Furthermore, none of your business to tell me what I do and dont know, considering you havent a clue. grow up.

Yes, so very wrong you are

look whos the idiot now

Wow, Ive been talked down by a clear genius. :rolleyes: No. I'm not wrong. Learn to accept other people's viewpoints and experience. Stop shooting someone down just because you don't agree. But plugging heroin as not being seriously dangerous and leading to death is wrong.

If someone is a serious alcoholic the same can happen. So why cant I buy heroin in a store but i can buy as much booze as i want? I can legally walk into a shop and buy enough alcohol to kill thirty people. But opium is a no no because i "might" get hooked.

And i am sorry for the insult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭gmac102

Are you a huge hypocrite

In my opinion, yes!

anyone that drinks alcohol or smokes tobacco yet are against cannabis,cocaine,heroin users are the biggest hypocrites there is

Alcohol and tobacco users are the biggest cost to the health service in most countries yet these legal drugs are tolerated more than the illegal drugs out there

i just dont get it

lol at ur silliness

If someone is a serious alcoholic the same can happen. So why cant I buy heroin in a store but i can buy as much booze as i want? I can legally walk into a shop and buy enough alcohol to kill thirty people. But opium is a no no because i "might" get hooked.

And i am sorry for the insult.

I'm not arguing that alcohol isn't a killer. It is! But the chances of getting hooked on heroin are a lot higher than getting hooked on alcohol, hence why one is legal, the other is not. Personally I just believe heroin is a life destroyer. As is alcohol, but the majority of people can control themselves with alcohol. Im not sure Id fancy my chances with heroin were I to try it and I wouldnt risk it either

I have smoked and snorted heroin I really enjoyed it but its not something I would want to do a hell of a lot of. Booze? first drink i had got me hooked. I suppose its different for everyone.

I have smoked and snorted heroin I really enjoyed it but its not something I would want to do a hell of a lot of. Booze? first drink i had got me hooked. I suppose its different for everyone.

I hate drugs to be honest, Temptamperu, and I probably am biased and slightly harsh due to that view, but I wasn't being cheeky or all high and mighty in saying Ive seen terrible cases due to relatives professions.

I agree its different to everyone. But heroin imo is a disaster and I would never look down on addicts either, its tragic what can happen to people. But there is no way I would compare alcohol to heroin. Not unless you took a serious alcoholic and a serious heroin addict and compared. But you cant compare a 18 year old girl having her first drink to the same 18 year old girl shooting up for the first time. I know which one Id be hauling home by the ears. :D

I hate drugs to be honest, Temptamperu, and I probably am biased and slightly harsh due to that view, but I wasn't being cheeky or all high and mighty in saying Ive seen terrible cases due to relatives professions.

I agree its different to everyone. But heroin imo is a disaster and I would never look down on addicts either, its tragic what can happen to people. But there is no way I would compare alcohol to heroin. Not unless you took a serious alcoholic and a serious heroin addict and compared. But you cant compare a 18 year old girl having her first drink to the same 18 year old girl shooting up for the first time. I know which one Id be hauling home by the ears. :D

shooting up heroin/opiates is not the same as smoking it
    you would need to be smoking everyday for weeks on end to get a habit

trust me, i know. dont believe the nonsense that if you try it once you're hooked for life

just like if you could inject alcohol...now that would be 10Xs worse than drinking it

injecting does not equal smoking.....sick of pointing that out

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

I wonder what age the OP is..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The way I look at it is that while one E or shot of heroin etc could kill you, one drink is very unlikely to unless you mix it with drugs or are allegric or something. Personally I wouldn't touch them.

If you wish to do drugs and are ok with the risks then that's your business but do not lable me a hyprocrit because I choose not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

You seem here (and excuse me if I'm wrong) to consider using your drug of choice as "use", yet the use of any other drugs as "abuse". That seems a bit odd.

No sorry I think you have missed my point which was that just to use alcohol and not abuse it was not in my opinion as bad as using the other drugs the OP mentioned and that this did not make me a hypocrite. This was my point.

Others have tried to argue around and distort what I have said but I think it is justified to have one opinion about one type of drug and another about other types without being classified as a hypocrite which is the crux of my argument and the basis for the ridicules statement in the OP.

• Advertisement

In all fairness all you have said recently is that you don't have a problem with alcohol but you hate drugs because heroin is bad. Sorry but that isn't a rational argument.

Since Heroin is a very strong form of processed opium, why even bother comparing someone having their first drink to someone trying the strongest form of a strong drug and using the most serious way to get it into their body i.e. injection.
    It makes about as much sense as using the complete opposite argument, that is, comparing a young girl taking few Nurofen+ to get a buzz for the first time, to a young girl drinking a bottle of ethanol for the first time. I know which one I'd be hauling home to the hospital by the ears.
    As I said in an earlier post, at least compare realistic options.

In all fairness all you have said recently is that you don't have a problem with alcohol but you hate drugs because heroin is bad. Sorry but that isn't a rational argument.

Since Heroin is a very strong form of processed opium, why even bother comparing someone having their first drink to someone trying the strongest form of a strong drug and using the most serious way to get it into their body i.e. injection.
    It makes about as much sense as using the complete opposite argument, that is, comparing a young girl taking few Nurofen+ to get a buzz for the first time, to a young girl drinking a bottle of ethanol for the first time. I know which one I'd be hauling home to the hospital by the ears.
    As I said in an earlier post, at least compare realistic options.

you need to read the posts carefully, I said, you cant compare them because they are so unlike each other. I may have used a very hard drug to make an example of. but likewise, Id be more worried about any type of drug over alcohol. I absolutely hate drugs. Be them soft or hard.

also, I just took heroin as an example, didnt mean to focus on it, ffs. so relax there.

you need to read the posts carefully, I said, you cant compare them because they are so unlike each other. I may have used a very hard drug to make an example of. but likewise, Id be more worried about any type of drug over alcohol. I absolutely hate drugs. Be them soft or hard.

also, I just took heroin as an example, didnt mean to focus on it, ffs. so relax there.
    I read that bit, but then commented because you actually did compare them.

If you hate drugs why don't you hate alcohol, the drug that is responsible for filling up our hospital A+Es every weekend, is the cause of family break ups and traumatised children, and is directly or indirectly responsible for many many deaths.
    Alcohol is a very strong and physically addictive drug, there should be no lines drawn between it and all "other drugs", unless you also hate alcohol you personally cannot say "I hate drugs" but you can say "I hate most drugs", or "I hate certain drugs".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Holy fcuk this girl is completely clueless and has no idea what she is on about.

Long story short...

If you lock a heroin addict in a room for 3 days and allow them to detox there is no risk of death. A truly horrible experience, both physically and mentally, all the same.

Put a serious alcoholic in a room and try get them to detox without medical attention...significant risk of death a la Amy Winehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Where are you getting this from ? The only two drugs that can kill during withdrawal are alcohol and benzos . Withdrawal from heroin and most opiates almost never causes death.

Methadone is about 60% more addictive than heroin though. But Its a nice drug with a copyright?
    Also the most addictive drug on the market legal or illegal is nicotien and cold turkey can kill you.
    :eek:

What a load of bollix...where do these nutjobs come up with these stats?

OK Temptamperu, please provide a link to show

1) Methadone is more addictive than heroin

2) Nicotine withdrawl can kill you

Imagine genuinely thinking giving up fags cold turkey could kill you? People would be dropping like flies.

Jesus, nobody can be this thick, gotta be a troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

heroin being smoked is as safe as a pint or smoke of a spliff

wouldn't believe that - if nothing else , the fumes and toxins from the foil will and have, destroyed lungs very quickly - smoking heroin can also rapidly turn into addiction , much faster than a weed smoker or casual pint drinker

Holy fcuk this girl is completely clueless and has no idea what she is on about.

Long story short...

If you lock a heroin addict in a room for 3 days and allow them to detox there is no risk of death. A truly horrible experience, both physically and mentally, all the same.

Put a serious alcoholic in a room and try get them to detox without medical attention...significant risk of death a la Amy Winehouse.

Dont be such a d*ck and call me that. Im not clueless. You don't even know me. I don't agree with some points made in this thread. I never said alcohol wasnt bad. I just hold a different opinion regarding drugs. but dont fking call me clueless. Boards is supposed to be a forum for difference of opinion and ideas, not a forum to get nasty and be insulting. You dont know me. so cop the fcuk on with your assuming.

I read that bit, but then commented because you actually did compare them.

If you hate drugs why don't you hate alcohol, the drug that is responsible for filling up our hospital A+Es every weekend, is the cause of family break ups and traumatised children, and is directly or indirectly responsible for many many deaths.
    Alcohol is a very strong and physically addictive drug, there should be no lines drawn between it and all "other drugs", unless you also hate alcohol you personally cannot say "I hate drugs" but you can say "I hate most drugs", or "I hate certain drugs".

and I agree with you, Cu Giobach, everything you wrote there is true. I didn't obviously outline what I meant properly.

Dont be such a d*ck and call me that. Im not clueless. You don't even know me. I don't agree with some points made in this thread. I never said alcohol wasnt bad. I just hold a different opinion regarding drugs. but dont fking call me clueless. Boards is supposed to be a forum for difference of opinion and ideas, not a forum to get nasty and be insulting. You dont know me. so cop the fcuk on with your assuming.

You are entitled to your own opinion. But when you talk shi.t about dying from going cold turkey on heroin then you need to be pulled up on it. Making nonsense up in your head is no way to defend your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Long story short...

Pretty obvious who the clueless one is!
    Do some actual research (watching Trainspotting doesn't count).

• Advertisement
Advertisement