Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valentine's day

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

ah...cause they're just that strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

And as each's OH they would only be one anyhow. and a weak one at that - they wouldn't stand a chance...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

My thing about Valentine's Day is people act like it's this day to show your love for a person and all that sh*te but surely your anniversary is the day for that. The day you guys first met/got married/whatever you celebrate is surely more of a cause to celebrate your love than a day that forces you to show it.

Or even the other person's birthday or Christmas if you have to?
    Or just some random day.

Why some day that was just chosen to be the "day of love". I really do not get the point of it.
    For so many girls it's like a proof that their man loves them, if you need that there is something wrong.

I'll prob get my boyf a card coz I know that he'll get me one. But our Vday will consist of meeting up at Spar for lunch.

It's his 21st on Sat, that's when he gets to be treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

To the person who called resentful, I'm not resentful at all. I just happen to think people who need VD to feel loved must have serious emotional problems.

Resentful? No. I'm just secure in my relationship in that I don't that kinda validation with Tack

Resentful, bitter, unhappy, unloved, childish, hateful.
    For some reason these words come to mind when I read your posts. Wonder why...
    Get over it. I'm sure you're a delight to be in a relationship with.
    It's the anniversary of her mothers death on Feb 14th so that probably takes precedence over a day marketed by card and gift companies.

All the more reason to do something nice for your girlfriend. How horrible can a person be to not at least buy a flower for their girlfriend on her mother's anniversary? Show her you love her. What reason have you for not doing that?
    My thing about Valentine's Day is people act like it's this day to show your love for a person and all that sh*te but surely your anniversary is the day for that. The day you guys first met/got married/whatever you celebrate is surely more of a cause to celebrate your love than a day that forces you to show it.

Or even the other person's birthday or Christmas if you have to?
    Or just some random day.

Why some day that was just chosen to be the "day of love". I really do not get the point of it.
    For so many girls it's like a proof that their man loves them, if you need that there is something wrong.

I'll prob get my boyf a card coz I know that he'll get me one. But our Vday will consist of meeting up at Spar for lunch.

It's his 21st on Sat, that's when he gets to be treated.

People do show their bf/gf they love them on other days.
    I'm with my bf for 8years and it's not like we only say 'I love you' or buy a card/cook dinner/do something nice on 14th Feb every year.
    We celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, NYE, Halloween, random Thursdays, sunny days in summer, wet and windy nights AND Valentines Day. We don't make a big deal out of all of these, but we celebrate in our own way.
    This Valentines Day we both work different shifts so won't see each other. But I'll cook him dinner to take to work with him and I'll buy him a pair of $25 baseball cleats cuz he wants them. Not sure what/if he'll do anything but I know he'll tell me he loves me so how can that be a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love Valentine's Day :D

It's not a Hallmark holiday, it dates back to old Roman and Christian traditions.

It's what you make of the day I guess. When I was single I would give cards to my sister, and always get that one of my Mam from a secret admirer.

Last year I couldn't be with my boyfriend so I sent him some funny little gifts, he sent me a single rose that I loved. He did this because I had mentioned I had never gotten flowers ever, but he didn't want to spend a lot of money and I'd be allergic to a bouquet, it was perfect.

This year I sent cards and small presents to my friend, sister and dog (cause I'm a saddo.) Just to let them know I am thinking of them and give them a smile. Sent a card and some small, meaningful gifts to my boyfriend because we can't be together. Nothing heart shaped or tacky, little things I know he will like.

I don't think Valentines is the one day couples say I love you and do nice things for each other. But why not celebrate and make the effort to spend time with each other and maybe get some chocolates and food and the ride on a Tuesday! Any excuse sure.

Yes girls who insist on expensive presents and break up if you don't get them are extreme, but are def in the minority. Nobody I know anyway! Most people just do something nice to pass the tradition, like any holiday really.

All the more reason to do something nice for your girlfriend. How horrible can a person be to not at least buy a flower for their girlfriend on her mother's anniversary? Show her you love her. What reason have you for not doing that?

People do show their bf/gf they love them on other days.
    I'm with my bf for 8years and it's not like we only say 'I love you' or buy a card/cook dinner/do something nice on 14th Feb every year.
    We celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, NYE, Halloween, random Thursdays, sunny days in summer, wet and windy nights AND Valentines Day. We don't make a big deal out of all of these, but we celebrate in our own way.
    This Valentines Day we both work different shifts so won't see each other. But I'll cook him dinner to take to work with him and I'll buy him a pair of $25 baseball cleats cuz he wants them. Not sure what/if he'll do anything but I know he'll tell me he loves me so how can that be a bad thing?

What I'm saying is why do you need Valentine's Day for that? Why can't you just do that anyway without all the ridiculousness of V day? Surely he tells you that he loves more often than on the big days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I always picture/imagine a letter or a message from lost flames, but never get anything, so yeah I dont like it :(

What I'm saying is why do you need Valentine's Day for that? Why can't you just do that anyway without all the ridiculousness of V day? Surely he tells you that he loves more often than on the big days?

Did you even read my post?

Did you even read my post?

Yes I did, I repeat my question
    Why do you need Valentine's day as an excuse. Why not use May 18th or March 22nd or Nov 6th to buy him his cleats?

Why go for the day that forces you to be romantic, why not be spontaneously romantic? To me, that would mean more than being bought something on Vday just because it should be done.
    I don't see the romance in Vday because it's not really romantic when it's all expected and has to be done.

Why do you need Valentine's day as an excuse. Why not use May 18th or March 22nd or Nov 6th to but him his cleats?

It's March 14th is the date he will look forward to for celebrations.

• Advertisement

Why do you need Valentine's day as an excuse. Why not use May 18th or March 22nd or Nov 6th to buy him his cleats?

Why go for the day that forces you to be romantic, why not be spontaneously romantic? To me, that would mean more than being bought something on Vday just because it should be done.
    I don't see the romance in Vday because it's not really when it's all expected and has to be done.

Let me try this again.

Let me try this again.

Still waiting for an answer to my question so

Still waiting for an answer to my question so

The answer was in my 1st post. Seriously, are you not catching on or just trolling?

The answer was in my 1st post. Seriously, are you not catching on or just trolling?

I did not ask you what other days you celebrate. I asked why the need for Valentine's day?

I'd quit the attitude if I were you.

I did not ask you what other days you celebrate. I asked why the need for Valentine's day?

I'd quit the attitude if I were you.

Or what? You'll type words at me? Please, no.

Because Valentine's day is a day to show/tell someone you love them. Why wouldn't you take the oppourtunity to do that? What valid reason have you for not doing it?

Or what? You'll type words at me? Please, no.

Because Valentine's day is a day to show/tell someone you love them. Why wouldn't you take the oppourtunity to do that? What valid reason have you for not doing it?

Because I do it every time I see my boyfriend. I don't need a specific day to do it

Because I do it every time I see my boyfriend. I don't need a specific day to do it

Why go out of the way not to? If you do it all the time why stop on 14th Feb?

Why go out of the way not to? If you do it all the time why stop on 14th Feb?

Because I'd rather surprise him someday, then do it on Feb 14th just because it's Valentine's Day and I have to.

I'm not going out of the way at all. In fact we're seeing each other on a Tuesday, even if it is for lunch. That's rare.

Valentine's Day is not romantic. It's just forced and that's why I don't like it.
    True romance involve spontaneity and unexpectance.

Because I'd rather surprise him someday, then do it on Feb 14th just because it's Valentine's Day and I have to.

I'm not going out of the way at all. In fact we're seeing each other on a Tuesday, even if it is for lunch. That's rare.

Valentine's Day is not romantic. It's just forced and that's why I don't like it.

Like most other couples who also celebrate Valentine's Day and multiple other days throughout the year?
    Valentine's Day isn't romantic for you because you make it that way. You seem to go out of your way to oppose the day and doing something nice for your boyfriend because you say it's forced.

No-one is forcing me to tell my boyfriend I love him that day. I do it because it's a recognised day for it and it's nice to have your girlfriend tell you she loves you. I also do it on other days when it's only 'our' day.

True romance involves doing something for the other person rather than yourself.
    You have a lot of growing up to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    ?????
    Profit!

Like most other couples who also celebrate Valentine's Day and multiple other days throughout the year?
    Valentine's Day isn't romantic for you because you make it that way. You seem to go out of your way to oppose the day and doing something nice for your boyfriend because you say it's forced.

No-one is forcing me to tell my boyfriend I love him that day. I do it because it's a recognised day for it and it's nice to have your girlfriend tell you she loves you. I also do it on other days when it's only 'our' day.

True romance involves doing something for the other person rather than yourself.
    You have a lot of growing up to do.

Do I really? I'd reread your own posts before making such immature statements.

Where did I say that I wasn't doing anything for my boyfriend or that I wasn't going to tell him I love him? Where did I say that I was going out of my way not to do anything for him?

I doing something nice for him. I'm meeting up with him, I'm getting him a card because I know that it will make him happy and if it means something to him I'll do it. I'm doing that because I love him not because of a stupid day.

I'll repeat my point. Why do we need a specific recognised day for all this. That's what annoys me.

And no, I see nothing romantic about being bought a present or given a card just because aceryain stipulates that it must be done. My personal opinion does not see the romance in that

Don't pretend it's not forced. See all the cards, flowers, chocolates, etc in the shops. There's the forcing right there.
    EDIT: you've even said it yourself: "I do it because it's a recognised day for it". How is that not forced?

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    ?????
    Profit!

That's part of it! :D

Where did I say that I wasn't doing anything for my boyfriend or that I wasn't going to tell him I love him? Where did I say that I was going out of my way not to do anything for him?

I doing something nice for him. I'm meeting up with him, I'm getting him a card because I know that it will make him happy and if it means something to him I'll do it. I'm doing that because I love him not because of a stupid day.

I'll repeat my point. Why do we need a specific recognised day for all this. That's what annoys me.

And no, I see nothing romantic about being bought a present or given a card just because aceryain stipulates that it must be done. My personal opinion does not see the romance in that

Don't pretend it's not forced. See all the cards, flowers, chocolates, etc in the shops. There's the forcing right there.

And who's making you buy the card, flower's and chocolate? You clearly have a choice when it comes to purchasing things.
    Make a card like you did when you were 10. Pick some flowers, bake a cake. If you buy stuff then that's your choice so stop acting like someones holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do something nice for the person you love.

Do you celebrate any holiday without a grudge? Do you enjoy Christmas? Do you do something on your birthday? Do you tell your parents you love them on Mother's/Father's day? Do you go out on St. Patricks day, Halloween? Do you tell a joke on April Fools day?
    If the answer is no to all of these then that's fair enough. If it's yes to one or more then shut up about your idiotic nonsense about 'forced days' and quit whining.

You really have a lot of growing up to do and I hope someday your boyfriend has a decent girlfriend who doesn't sit and act like a grump just because it's Valentine's Day.

Goodnight, enjoy your Tuesday.

And who's making you buy the card, flower's and chocolate? You clearly have a choice when it comes to purchasing things.
    Make a card like you did when you were 10. Pick some flowers, bake a cake. If you buy stuff then that's your choice so stop acting like someones holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do something nice for the person you love.

Do you celebrate any holiday without a grudge? Do you enjoy Christmas? Do you do something on your birthday? Do you tell your parents you love them on Mother's/Father's day? Do you go out on St. Patricks day, Halloween? Do you tell a joke on April Fools day?
    If the answer is no to all of these then that's fair enough. If it's yes to one or more then shut up about your idiotic nonsense about 'forced days' and quit whining.

You really have a lot of growing up to do and I hope someday your boyfriend has a decent girlfriend who doesn't sit and act like a grump just because it's Valentine's Day.

Goodnight, enjoy your Tuesday.

Funnily I have never acted like a grunp because it's valentines day. Also my boyfriend bases his relationship choice on more than something as petty as a reaction to a day. A not very important day in that, whatever you may think.

Really darling, get over yourself and stop being so rude to me and others (you owe storminateacup an apology for your totally unnecessary comments to her) just because you don't agree with our opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Valentine's day has been cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Mathematicians have finally found the equation for love, where 'i' is an element of surprise, 'u' is an element of happiness and the 'x' is long gone

9x-7i < 3(3x-7u)
    9x-7i < 9x-21u
    7i < 21u
    i <3 u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

That's what you want to see when you read her posts, she is none of those things.

I don't mind VD, it's just a day to make a little special effort for the person you love.If some people want to spend loads of money on each other so what it's no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hallmark holiday
    Money racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

:PI have a idea for a new web site: for 9.99 you can have flowers and a hand-write card delivered to your door or your office. For loners like me:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

1 single red rose in lidl =€1, 1 valentines card in the euro shop =€2.

Blowjob for effort............... priceless.

We dont celebrate valentines anymore though coz It's bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

No woman will ever be truly satisfied on Valentines Day, because no man will ever have a chocolate penis that ejaculates money .... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

billybilly wrote: »
    Anyone who says Valentine's day is a meaningless, commercialized holiday would best be prepared to say the same thing about Christmas, in order to save themselves from looking like a gigantic hypocrite. Contrary to popular belief, Jesus was born in the summer-time. December 25 was originally a pagan holiday where people would copulate like crazy and kill each other as it was the darkest day of the year. The Catholic church changed Jesus's official birth date to December 25 as a way of eclipsing this barbaric pagan holiday.

Perhaps you'll say Christmas brings families closer together, but Valentine's day brings romantic partners closer together and we certainly have a problem with how close the opposing genders are in this country, as we do with how close families are as well. So both are a good thing in my view.

Hello everyone, my name's Billy. I look forward to conversing with you all about various issues in the not too distant future.

Ah I think that would make them inconsistent not hypocritical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Feeona wrote: »
    Mathematicians have finally found the equation for love, where 'i' is an element of surprise, 'u' is an element of happiness and the 'x' is long gone

9x-7i < 3(3x-7u)
    9x-7i < 9x-21u
    7i < 21u
    i <3 u

That's not an equation.

edit: Moreover
    -7i < -21u implies 7i > 21u not 7i < 21u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have seen the pain in my father's eye's over the fact that my mother is no longer here (she died last June just after my daughter's birth) so I will be comforting my father tomorrow. I remember that my parents used to take us out for a family meal if we were single on Valentines day which was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Valentines Day is the day before my birthday, so I always feel excited about it.
    I always send a card to someone. I think its great fun.
    This year I have got a Valentines card, box of Dairy Milk chocolates, and a dozen red roses ready to give a girl I secretly admire.
    Its nice to have some romance in your life and enjoy the thrill of the chase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I have seen the pain in my father's eye's over the fact that my mother is no longer here (she died last June just after my daughter's birth) so I will be comforting my father tomorrow. I remember that my parents used to take us out for a family meal if we were single on Valentines day which was nice.

I feel for you.
    Both my parents were killed in a car accident 7 years ago.
    They were married 40 years and my dad still gave my mum a Valentines card every year.
    I always do the same, give someone a Valentines card every year. Its nice to feel wanted and desired by someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Sindri wrote: »
    I enjoy blowjobs.

Giving or receiving ? :pac:

CathyMoran wrote: »

Thats just lovely :) For me Valentines Day isn't just about your partner, its anyone you love. My sister is 18 now, but she is still single and even if she wasn't I will probably still always send her a card. And my Mam used to buy us chocolates. Hope you have a nice day. I know it won't be the best but at least you can remember all the love for your mother.

Thread is filling me with warm fuzzies. I am pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hope ye all get something nice tomorrow be it flowers, chocolates or even the ride :pac:

I'll 'take one for the team' cos I'll be getting fook all, in fact tomorrow will prob be a pain in the arse as I try to replace players in my Tuesday 5 a side cos they have been pussy whipped into taking out their OH's!

So don't be worrying about me, I'll be alright, ye just enjoy the day!

*in before 'Forever Alone' jpg :P

kfallon wrote: »
    Hope ye all get something nice tomorrow be it flowers, chocolates or even the ride :pac:

I'll 'take one for the team' cos I'll be getting fook all, in fact tomorrow will prob be a pain in the arse as I try to replace players in my Tuesday 5 a side cos they have been pussy whipped into taking out their OH's!

So don't be worrying about me, I'll be alright, ye just enjoy the day!

*in before 'Forever Alone' jpg :P

Bring chocolates and cards to the pitch! They will love and appreciate you.

• Advertisement

Bring chocolates and cards to the pitch! They will love and appreciate you.

They will think I'm gay and they will never let me play football again! :(

No it's best I just go about my usual routine and then cry myself to sleep tomorrow night because of me loneliness :P

They will think I'm gay and they will never let me play football again! :(

No it's best I just go about my usual routine and then cry myself to sleep tomorrow night because of me loneliness :P

Then they aren't your real friends!

Then they aren't your real friends!

Well they're not actually, they are just fellas I play football with! ;)

If we win by a few goals tomorrow night I shall be referring to it as the "Valentine's Day Massacre" :P

Well they're not actually, they are just fellas I play football with! ;)

If we win by a few goals tomorrow night I shall be referring to it as the "Valentine's Day Massacre" :P

I know a way to make them friends! Valentines cupcakes!

Spread the love!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I dont like it but I will still make my girlfriend something nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Alone myself so no cards or flowers expected this year - but it doesn't stop me knowing what I'd like and like thousands of others its a really nice bunch of fresh flowers.

Was just in the local super value and a nice looking guy had picked up a bunch of faded and jaded looking white lilies with the petals about to drop off. Later I saw that the shop actually had some nice fresh looking red roses in bunches large or small or even singles. Had to really restrain myself from taking the lilies off him and handing him the roses instead.

Yes to flowers always - no to dying lilies!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

i think its fun! Like doin all these cheesy things ;) Dont take it too serious tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Shouldn't there also be an established day for singletons? Why just highlight those already together. Or, from my perspective at least, give us something to really celebrate

There is. It's called Palm Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

so whats everyone up to on this night of slushy/lovey day eve?

im nicely drunk, blasting out some good tunage, and thinking of watching Valentines Day out of irony :p:D:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement