Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach fishing help please

Options
  • 08-02-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

So, headed off to a beach for the first time last night at Ballybunion, had a few issues if anyone can help.

1. The bait was being taken in & out with the waves, was quite rough. I was using one of these.
    Basically it never rooted into the sand, what am I doing wrong?

2. I fished when the tide was fully out and moved in with the tide, is this the correct approach?

3. No sign of any lugworm on the beach. Do all beaches in the area have them or was it bad timing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

1.That was the right weight to use, its a grip weight, they will move if the swell is to big. When you cast out leave the weight settle for a minute to grip the sand then just reel in the slack line, dont move it or the wire grips will break out from the weight, you can also put a cable tie or elastic thread around the wires to stop them coming loose.

2. Most places fish better with in incoming tide, not always the case do, better to ask local tackle shop or people who fish the beach.

3. Not all beaches have lug on them, in stormy condition the cast the lug worm leaves is washed away leaving no sign of where they are, again ask the local tackle shop or lads fishing the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wind and Wave

Yes the weight was right but as a previous poster saidyou need to put tension on the weight through the line for it to anchor. I had the same problems starting out but invest in a rod rest it helps keep a constant tension and keeps your line clear of weed.

Lug worm can be dug on the cashen estuary up the road. There are local spots on the beach which locals know about, usualy indicated in relation to the hole numbers on the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Fished this beach twice but found the tide very strong there... Meant to be a great spot tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

No harm to do the odd day light session.......early morning or before dusk..

to allow you get accustomed to the gear.....if the lead is opening up

too easily try a rubber band to keep the spikes closed.....adjust same

until you can keep fast , and on pulling the line and lead it opens up

as you require......

a rod stand as mentioned is very useful keeps the line up more out of the

waves.....

a controlled roll around with a spike-less lead can be useful , specially

for flatties.......

if the surf is really wild perhaps better to find a calmer beach .....some

beaches are what I call "cross" angry at times.....better to leave them

alone until they calm down a bit......( safety first at all times)

Advertisement