Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Up and kayaking across Dublin Bay

• 08-02-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster on this forum. I want to get into the kayaking again.Had experience in my teenage years with the 5th port in Dollymount but really want to buy my own kayak and be self sufficient and get the experience to go out on my own.

I'm based in Clontarf and work until half 3 when I am in,however I do work some weekends.Could anybody recommend any schools or clubs in the area that would do courses for getting to that level.Would it be best to start from improver level?

Also, when I do eventually get to go out alone, I was wondering how safe it is to kayak from say Dollymount to Dalkey/Killiney in terms of the ferry etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭tphase

Sean Pierce is closest instructor to you http://www.shearwaterseakayaking.ie/

Crossing a busy navigation channel is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Properly planned (ie get the tides right, contact the port authorities etc), then it's a matter of getting across the channel as fast as you can when there's a gap in the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I would'nt be running before I could walk personally.

OP. look at canoe.ie for a list of local clubs near you. We are coming into Spring (as much as it doesn't feel like it) and they are starting level two courses. This could get you going with repsect to Kayaking in general and the principals behind it with respect to safety etc.

Then and only then would I be looking to head off onto Coastal waters. Enjoy whatever route you take :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭whizbang

Dollymount to Dalkey/Killiney

Very dodgy. only for seriously experienced.
    you wont make it if the winds against you!

I did it once with an entourage. felt safer under the cliffs of Moher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Thanks for the replies lads.I'm hitting the water for the first time this year on the 25th.Going to do the kayaking skills development day (improver level) with Shearwater kayaking and then do the ICU level 3 course thereafter.

I usually go open water swimming and have had the kayaking venture on hold for far too long.Dying to get started now.

@ Whizbang, what was particularly dangerous about that route? Was it sea conditions or the ferry or both? I must admit I am probably naive in thinking it looks straight forward if you look at it as a straight line from the strand to Dalkey Sound while sea conditions look favourable. I used to paddle in the lagoon behind the Bull Wall and last summer I went out paddling from Sandycove to Dalkey Island with a ruddered kayak and got some good feedback on how I kept up with the group.

Advertisement