Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Application - outsouring experiences?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm on the cusp of finishing my web application site/design plan to outsource. The problem is I've tried something like this a number of years ago and took a 2k hit for it, for something that basically was incompletely delivered by an overseas developer (through scriptlance).

The project I'm designing now is not massively complex, however it will require a lot of customisation and requires attention to detail. I'm very wary of parting with my cash again. Looking at the likes of elance.com and scriptlance.com there doesn't appear to be a huge uptake in people applying for these projects either.

What are your experiences in this area, good or bad? If your experiences are good, how did you price your job ... or how was it priced for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I had good and bad experiences of elance, people per hour etc. In the end I found that some of the problems for losing money (in one case) was simply down to me not understanding the process and people on that site taking advantage of that.
    Although you 'think' your money is in escrow - it is kind of, but its released at milestones and will never be returned.

I posted a few projects up - if you want to pm me the spec on one of the sites i'd gladly have a look and give you my thoughts (if that would help)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

"was simply down to me not understanding the process and people on that site taking advantage of that"

That is the reason to seek developers who take your project on a per project fee.
    Steer clear of per hour fees.
    I have got into many heated discussions on design message boards over this.
    How are you to judge how long a project will take...does it include their coffee breaks...phone calls to different clients etc..it is like writing a blank cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Nothing to do with time
    Fee agreed up front - not addendums
    Me - took the eye of the ball and got it in the yinger
    Could have happened outside these types of sites.
    I would/have used them again and was much more cautions in the approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

blue4ever wrote: »
    I had good and bad experiences of elance, people per hour etc.

Ok you left the fee up front part and from this first part I took it as per hour fee.

Advertisement