Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for somewhere to go jogging

Options
  • 08-02-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, I'm looking to move away from the treadmill and go running outside, has anyone got any suggestions for somewhere to go jogging in Galway? I'll be a woman jogging on my own at about 7 or 8 in the evening so it would have to somewhere safe enough.

I would prefer to avoid jogging around the city or on the prom

I have heard of people jogging in up at the race course in ballybrit, is this allowed?
    I live near terryland but don't mind driving to either side of the town.

Any suggestions welcome! :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Galway City Harriers do a regular fit-for-life and running group of all levels of fitness a couple of times a week. I think they meet at Westside library at around 7pm or so at least twice a week - a couple of girls I work with go along and they enjoy it.

You've got the prom which is great for running and with South Park at the Claddagh at one end and the campsite at the other there's scope for lengthening the run quite a bit too.

The race course is fine but quite secluded if you're running alone, great on long summer evenings when there'll be loads of people up there. Good hill training though.

edit - just re-read and saw the bit about the prom. Sorry.

Maybe Dangan as well, I know the Harriers go up there too so they would be my first port of call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

it depends- on your own, then the prom is well lit , and thats your best bet if evenings are dark to be honest. Dangan NUI grounds best in the brighter evenings. off road and plenty around.

If you wanted to join up with a club, then there is this

http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/fit4life/fit4life-training-times-and-contact-details

depends on your level, there is a jogging group in this, senior club also has evening session on tues,

Galway triathlon club also have two evening running sessions, tues and thurs..

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Ballybrit racecourse is mighty but it has to be during daylight as no lights. A loop is 1.45miles
    I'd otherwise suggest Dangan. Lots of places around there to explore during your run

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NiCiarain

Thanks for those suggestions :)

I would probably run 6 or 7 miles and wouldn't really be intersted in running with a club.

Dangan sounds good, but I'm not sure where is it. Is that out near the Glenlo Abbey? Does anyone have a suggestion on where I could park the car in Dangan?

Thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Dangan - next right after westwood hotel, its Nui grounds but open to public, plenty of parking.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Lower+Newcastle&daddr=Unknown+road&geocode=FR_5LAMdV7R1_w;FakvLQMdBYJ1_w&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&sll=53.290771,-9.080801&sspn=0.015392,0.052314&ie=UTF8&ll=53.290027,-9.074707&spn=0.015392,0.052314&t=h&z=15

link

btw if you can run 6 miles a day then you should probably run with a club, you might be good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

NiCiarain wrote: »
    Thanks for those suggestions :)

I would probably run 6 or 7 miles and wouldn't really be intersted in running with a club.

Dangan sounds good, but I'm not sure where is it. Is that out near the Glenlo Abbey? Does anyone have a suggestion on where I could park the car in Dangan?

Thanks again

There's a car park up there. I wouldn't suggest running there in the evenings at the moment though as all the lights are broken so it's impossible to see anything unless you run on the track.

I might take a spin out to Dangan this evening and see what the lighting situation is.

Thanks again for yer help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I do this run, well lit all the way, couple of hills and comes in around 10k

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/68381952/

McTigs wrote: »
    I do this run, well lit all the way, couple of hills and comes in around 10k

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/68381952/[/QUOTE]

A well lit 10k run sounds like what I'm looking for but I can't view that route because your profile is private. I never heard of the mapmyrun website before, theres some great routes posted by people in Galway so I'm sure I'll find one. Thanks :)

Advertisement