Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Psychotic boyfriend kicked, punched and threw my baby around like he was a toy'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

simit wrote: »
    This scum bag should be neutered while he's in prison.

I would be surprised if he gets out of prison in one piece.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Meh - nothing surprises me anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Pleading guilty to certain crimes should not lessen the sentence imo.

It should make no difference in cases such as this, the guy committed a horrible crime, one of the worst you can do. He should serve the maximum sentence regardless of whether he admits to it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

EGAR wrote: »
    Well, if he is a Psychopath then I understand it is not cureable so he is likely to re-offend.

Well if he isn't given any treatment and subjected to beatings he is likely to be worse. Given that the best solution would be simply to kill him . Wounder what the people who would dish out such punishments are going to be like.

The chances are he was subjected to beatings when younger too. He is most likely a victim himself. People will say that is some hippy liberal thought but with a few exceptions violent people are generally from violent back grounds.

You might as well complain Chineese people should speak English without ever being given any education.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

The law really is an ass sometimes

Trolling, plain and simple. You havent said one word in defence of the victim (who happens to be a defenceless baby). Its no wonder the law is the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

hanging would be preferable but the liberals here prob think he can be rehabilitated.

It's amazing how many OP's have hamstrung their own threads this week by not being able to move past a hatred for the phantom liberal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Well if he isn't given any treatment and subjected to beatings he is likely to be worse. Given that the best solution would be simply to kill him . Wounder what the people who would dish out such punishments are going to be like.

The chances are he was subjected to beatings when younger too. He is most likely a victim himself. People will say that is some hippy liberal thought but with a few exceptions violent people are generally from violent back grounds.

You might as well complain Chineese people should speak English without ever being given any education.

Oh yes, I forgot that part, he is a victim himself :rolleyes: and obviously has no free will etc pp. I wonder how the many other people who were beaten and mistreated yet managed NOT to do the same when they were grown up feel about your statement.

No one forced him to beat up and torture a baby, no one stood behind him with a gun to his head. Nor did he run around advertising himself as raving lunatic, no, he did it in the confines of a private home, well out of sight from the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The Human race has never really left the cave has it? Whatever way you look at it.
    In instances like this our primal part kicks in and we are animals after all only we can communicate I am no different to a lioness who will defend her young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

"Larry Connors abused my child for a three-week period and there was nothing I could do about it."

Wtf - couldn't do anything about it? Like a mother who turns a blind eye to abuse.

3 years is a joke for this kind of premeditated abuse. He should have gotten at least 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

EGAR wrote: »
    Oh yes, I forgot that part, he is a victim himself :rolleyes: and obviously has no free will etc pp. I wonder how the many other people who were beaten and mistreated yet managed NOT to do the same when they were grown up feel about your statement.

No one forced him to beat up and torture a baby, no one stood behind him with a gun to his head. Nor did he run around advertising himself as raving lunatic, no, he did it in the confines of a private home, well out of sight from the general public.
    I never said it obsolved him of what he did you decided that is what I must mean. There are lots of ways people deal with different situations from their past. Doesn't mean that the way somebody else behaves makes them non-human in fact it is quite the opposite. Some people are stronger than others. Lots of people who have been mistreated become alcoholics, drug adicts kill themselves etc... I am sure some would think that is prefferable. I can say that I am sure this was not is first violent act and unlikely his GF thought of him as a non-violent person.
    All I am saying if he isn't helped and is beaten regular he will be worse not less of a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

After the mothers interview was read out, Connors said: "she better hope I get life in prison for this" and he threw the memo at the gardai.

His lawyer said "he realises that he is going to prison and he hopes that this will be the first step on the road to recovery for him".

Any defence lawyers on boards answer me one question: How do you sleep at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Warper wrote: »
    "Larry Connors abused my child for a three-week period and there was nothing I could do about it."

Wtf - couldn't do anything about it? Like a mother who turns a blind eye to abuse.

exactly the point i was going to make.

as far as i'm concerned the mother should be in jail too for negligence. 3 weeks you stay with that psycho while you knew well he was abusing an innocent child and you say there's nothing you could do about it? pure BS, utter s'hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

so you solution to the crime is to commit a worse crime.

Oh FFS!

Assault on a baby = Heinous crime.
    Assault on the scumbag who did it = Justice.

The point is - it shouldn't be a crime under these circumstances. Get the liberal blinkers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

This is Ireland people. we live here. How can this happen. I tell you why because we live in a country of liberals, we have no justice here. we release criminals. The guards here should have been able to beat this man close to death. And he should never have walked free. he should have no kneecaps to be able to walk. we have a rotten country here. rotten to the core.

Its usually conservatives who demand parents be allowed disapline children with smacks which leads to adults who deal with everything with violence. Yet its the liberals fault this happened.

This man is not right in the head. I wonder the conservative stance is on funding mental health.. :rollseyes:

blame teh libruls!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I hope everyone agrees that this man should be beaten to within an inch of his life and jailed for life.

Not if the guy is psychotic. Psychosis is a mental illness and, if the man's actions are a result of psychosis, then it's not his fault. Pschosis causes sufferers to suffer from hallucinations, paranoia and delusional beliefs. People experiencing psychosis may exhibit personality changes and thought disorder. Depending on its severity, this may be accompanied by unusual or bizarre behaviour. Rather than being jailed he should be sent to a psychiatric hospital for help and treatment.

It has been discovered that Anders Breivik, rather than being genuinely evil, is suffering from insanity. That is why he is not going to be going to jail but will instead be sent to a psychiatric unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Connors?
    Traveller??

Proof please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Batsy wrote: »
    Not if the guy is psychotic. Psychosis is a mental illness and, if the man's actions are a result of psychosis, then it's not his fault. Pschosis causes sufferers to suffer from hallucinations, paranoia and delusional beliefs. People experiencing psychosis may exhibit personality changes and thought disorder. Depending on its severity, this may be accompanied by unusual or bizarre behaviour. Rather than being jailed he should be sent to a psychiatric hospital for help and treatment.

It has been discovered that Anders Breivik, rather than being genuinely evil, is suffering from insanity. That is why he is not going to be going to jail but will instead be sent to a psychiatric unit.

i agree with this if it can be concluded he is in fact a clinical psychotic.

if it is the case i believe the mother would then be MORE guilty of a crime than he is.

take that pinky liberals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

He got a prison term. Perhaps inadequate but thats the shortfall of the criminal justice system

angryBollix , you have come back at a lot of posts here with replys not really condoning this scumbag and trying to blame justice system..

in you honest view here .. what do you think prison sentence should have been , what was your first thoughts when you read article.. mine was he got of lightly should have been at least 10 and first thoughts like a lot of others here was he deserves a good beating.:mad:

Haven't read the thread but after reading the article I have to wonder just what kind of animal the mother is. She was aware of this abuse occurring over a three week period but did nothing. Surely if she cared as much as she'd like us to believe at the first sight of any abuse she would have rang the guards and gotten her baby out of there.

I'm sure someone will trot out the old oh she's as much a victim as the child but if she cared so much she would have done something a lot sooner.

The guy in question is scum and is this is a perfect example of a time when the punishment should equal the crime. 3 years is a joke, an insult to every victim of abuse out there'. If they find him dead on his cell with his throat cut tomorrow morning I doubt anyone will shed a tear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Only managed to read some of it far too shocking..

Absolutle fucking scumbag

How the judge could give only 3 years he deserves sending down as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hootanany wrote: »
    Proof please
    He wasn't making a statement, just asking a question.

It's fair question, Connors being a popular traveller surname.

Of course, whether he's a traveller or not is utterly irrelevant, though it would shed more light on why the child's mother allowed the abuse to continue for 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It was a fair question, with that head and that name, but its not relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Batsy wrote: »

The mother described his behaviour as "psychotic". Not a mention of him having psychosis at all in the article. Try harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I can understand the discussion being focussed on what should happen to the guilty party here, but I'd be much more concerned about what happens to the child...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

He'll get his just desserts in prison...
    Even your average ODC has kids & won't tolerate the likes of him...
    Prison justice is swift & ruthless as he will no doubt discover !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Sick ****, I'd like a few minutes in a room with him, He should be beaten senseless for it the dirty scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Three week period? This happening once, you could see how she didn't realise he was a maniac. But over three weeks? And she hadn't a single chance in that time to run, call the Gardaí, call family or neighbours or if necessary immobilise or kill this maniac? That doesn't make sense. How is this woman fit to keep this child? I'm sure I'll get lambasted for this, but she's a disgrace of a mother.

You don't rehabilitate people like this guy. He might well be psychotic. But he should be institutionlised or committed for life. He's a danger to society, end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭SeanW

You dont condone vioence but you'd willingly paralyse someone.

Contradictory
    He does not condone INITIATING violence. All bets are off because this psychopath started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

The judge should get a slap for giving him 3 years.That fooker should brought to the zoo thrown over a wall into the Lions Den and eating alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

krudler wrote: »
    I dont understand this reduced sentence for pleading guilty thing, what does that make you less guilty? knowing you'll get a reduced sentence purely for admitting guilt is just working the system, get 3 years, probably be out in 2 years or less for keeping his head down in jail, providing he doesnt get murdered by an inmate, I hear convicts love child abusers in jail.

A few reasons. Firstly as pointed out it saves trauma for the victims and secondly for cost and time issues. If there wasn't a "reward" for pleading guilty then no one would ever do it so every crime would have to go to a full length trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Putting aside what I'd personally like to see happen to this twisted fu*k, I wonder will he be released from prison having been psychologically assessed at all?

There's clearly some serious, deep psychological damage there and if he's released without some form of help, it'll only be a matter of time before this cowardly bastard kills some other child somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

token101 wrote: »
    Three week period? This happening once, you could see how she didn't realise he was a maniac. But over three weeks? And she hadn't a single chance in that time to run, call the Gardaí, call family or neighbours or if necessary immobilise or kill this maniac? That doesn't make sense. How is this woman fit to keep this child? I'm sure I'll get lambasted for this, but she's a disgrace of a mother.
    You, sir, are damn right.

She should have been charged too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

This is Ireland people. we live here. How can this happen. I tell you why because we live in a country of liberals, we have no justice here. we release criminals. The guards here should have been able to beat this man close to death. And he should never have walked free. he should have no kneecaps to be able to walk. we have a rotten country here. rotten to the core.
    Suck my hairy yellow hole, Ireland is about as liberal as landing strip one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

mongdesade wrote: »
    He'll get his 1. just desserts in prison...
    Even your average ODC has kids & won't tolerate the likes of him...
    2. Prison justice is swift & ruthless as he will no doubt discover !

1. We live in a state governed under the rule of law. Justice can be dispensed only by courts of law and in accordance with our legislation. Criminals are not authorised or mandated to dispense justice and if they assault another criminal, irrespective of what crime that person has been convicted of, they are committing a further crime in addition to the one that got them into prison in the first place. If ODC stands for "ordinary decent criminal" (a very dubious phrase), that person would show greater respect for his own kids' welfare by desisting from committing crimes and, if he is nevertheless prepared to commit further crimes of violence while in prison, he is certainly not decent.:rolleyes:

2. "Prison justice", i.e. convicts committing crimes of violence against other inmates, is an oxymoron.:D:D

Whether you like it or not, the State has a duty to protect every person in its custody. Or perhaps you would prefer to abolish the State and just leave all "law enforcement" to ad hoc vigilante groups?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/3814-west-limerick-farmer-to-be-imprisoned-indefinitely.html

From the same judge, I use the term loosely

“People have to obey court orders, You are going to stay in prison until you purge your contempt”.

In my opinion he is as much as a danger to society as Larry Connors

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I don't know why mothers (and fathers too) let their partners go on abusing their child. It upsets me.
    When/if I have a baby my first allegience will be to that baby's safety, not my partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

so you solution to the crime is to commit a worse crime.

sorry , how is beating this man to almost death worse than what happened to the innocent child? at least the man can fight back.

if anyone did this to my child i would kill them . if your a parent would you let this man go with 3 years? well your alot calmer than me so.

I have to agree with Julie here. We are not dealing with a rational person here. There is no doubt he needs to be locked up for at least 10 years. Thats serving 10 by the way, not out in 3. If could be made to feel the abject terror that poor baby felt then that could be considered justice. Lets face it he will be out in less then 18 months and will most likely terrorise the mother , who I think is getting a harder time then she deserves here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Whether you like it or not, the State has a duty to protect every person in its custody. Or perhaps you would prefer to abolish the State and just leave all "law enforcement" to ad hoc vigilante groups?:)

Absolutely correct, I concur on point # 1...

Absolutely not on point #2...however...I have no qualms or moral dilemnas regarding the likes of this animal being dealt some rough justice from whatever quarter it comes from...my bad ! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

This happened in Shannon, about 10 minutes walk from where i grew up. The lad is a total scúmbag and yes he is a traveller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

lock him up, throw away the key, feed him bread and water. If i done what he'd done thats how'd I expect i should be treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

there is nothing to suggest he has pyschosis,this sounds like yet another stupid confusion of pyschosis instead of what the correct term shoud be-pyschopathy,or to be formal- anti social personality disorder.
    this guy is taking out whatever problems/issues he has onto someone who is very vulnerable and cannot defend themselves,clearly a pyschopathic trait his girlfriend woud have known long before now if he also had pyschosis due to halucinating and delusional behavior.

as someone who has diagnosed pyschosis,can say the experience is nothing like pyschopathy at all and it is rather an insult to be included with a group that can purposely choose to harm other beings and lack morals in what they are doing at all.
    pyschosis is a mixture of halucinations and delusionary beliefs which can entirely change the way that think-but it varies depending on the person and severity,someone who is living with a pyschotic person will know about it.

pyschopaths are not pyschotic unless they have it seperately,anti social PD is a way of thinking,behaving and understanding that is learned by a person,often as a reaction to maybe family problems when they are younger.

having a very poor level of education does not cause anti social PD,nor does it cause pyschopathy,am speaking as someone who was and still is at the lowest level [entry level] in special education for almost all subjects,yet have got strong morals and am very protective of anyone who is classed as very vulnerable for whatever reason be they a baby,child or disabled adult.

some people have mentioned that this person shoud be hospitalised,well if am remembering correctly,for things like what this guy has done pyschopaths get jailed they dont get hospitalised because they are not classed as insane [or whatever the courts use as the criteria].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Scum like that man don't deserve to have a life of freedom.

When I think of all the couples out there who wish they could have kids, but can't for one reason or another.

If anyone did that to my child, death would come as a relief to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    The word "psychotic" in the heading should be a clue. A person like him needs 1) to be kept away from children and 2) to receive effective treatment. A psychosis is an illness, and essentially anyone can develop it. There but for --- and all that.:rolleyes:

Although some of the posters here are undoubtedly getting off imagining the torture they would like to inflict on him, and would love to give scumbags who are in prison for other reasons, probably good ones, the pleasure of beating him up, that will not undo what he has done. Nor does it matter whether he spends two or ten years in prison if he just emerges even more brutalised and probably dangerous than he already is.:)

The same posters who are outdoing the Daily Hatemail in their thirst for hanging, flogging and other cruel and unusual punishments would probably be no less vocal if anyone suggested better and more proactive and outreaching social services to try and prevent cruelty like this rather than cry to the moon for vengeance when it happens.:cool:

Some of the posters here are at least as sick in their minds as he has been in practice, and one only has to wonder how they would behave if the circumstances were conducive to losing it.:eek:

Here is where i will disagree with you.
    Normal people are hardwired to protect children they are not "sick in their minds" to be affected by the behaviour of that man, this is part of the very thing that makes us human, it guarentees our survival. It is Normal to be outraged by this, as a socitey it is correct for us to be baying for blood at this stage after reading about what happened to that baby. It would be completely wrong to have any sympathy at all for Connors at this stage as well. He is an adult and is responsible for his actions. If he had the sense to lock the door behind him then he had the sense to control his actions. The fact that he locked the door means that he was aware of what he was about to do. If he burnt the baby with an iron then he had to plug the iron in and wait for it to heat etc. We can all sit back and
    intellectualise from our keyboards etc but the facts are the facts.
    lets put this in perspective. If the new anti piracy laws are enacted the crime of downloading the latest movie will carry a longer sentence then torturing a baby. You cant "prevent cruelty". Cruelty is part of some peoples makeup and those people need to be removed from where they are doing harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I would like to have more info on this before making a call. People are right the only reference to psychosis is from his ex. As for being a psychopath, which is different to anti-social/dissocial personal disorder, he needs to be assessed.

On one hand it is safe to say something is wrong if he can commit such acts, but if there was a mental disorder there, usually the defence will have the person assessed in order to prove it to the court. So it raises the question why has this bloke not been clinically assessed? Or is the Indo just not reporting the full case?

If this guy is mentally ill, he needs treatment that is what the Central Mental Hospital is there for. However, I was involved in a similar case [not as severe] a number of years ago and there was no psychosis present, neither was the offender a psychopath.

I can't agree with the rants though, knocking the bollix out of him is not going to serve any purpose. How will that help the child? It is not going to help rehabilitate him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Surely she should be arrested for neglect too?

The 'there was nothing I could do about it' for something that went on for weeks is bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I don't know why mothers (and fathers too) let their partners go on abusing their child. It upsets me.

+1 to this.

This ^^ is such nonsense it raises my blood pressure. How could anyone do nothing about it, least of all the mother??

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnny D. Mudd

Well such a heinous crime usually brings out the vengeful wish for bloodshed in some and while I can understand such a visceral to what is a horrifying story, violence in return is certainly not the answer. What is the answer however is a much stiffer sentence for a psychotic madman who clearly has no concept of empathy. Just looking at that degenerate, you can tell just how much of a gormless, waster, scobie that scumbag is and he was never going to be anything more than a labourer at best.

3 years is clearly not nearly enough for an attack on a helpless infant who will no doubt suffer serious consequences as a result of this abuse. It seems like this violence took place over a period of time too which begs the question, why didn't the mother do something if the baby was in danger there? Still rat-faced bastard should not be on the streets until he is at least in his late 40's for what is a startling run of attacks on an infant.

A ****ing infant for ****'s sake!!!!

Seriously!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

I'm literally bawling my eyes out reading this.
    I have a three month old little girl and I worry if she's in pain every time she cries! I can't imagine anyone actually breaking a babies bones!
    I can't believe he will be out in three years or less. What will he do next?
    He is hardly the type of guy that will be law abiding for the rest of his life..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Abuse to anyone is terrible but there is something particularly disturbing about abuse towards a child.

It takes a sinister human being piece of filth to do that.

I truly believe these "people" get what they gave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

scumbags like this only understand one thing violence. its the liberal attitude of , oh let the courts decide and violence isint the answer etc that has these things happening in our society. If there was real retribution for violent crimes, half if not more of these disgusting stories would not happen. People have no fear of the LAW.
    It doesn't work. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates
    You would think that, logically, it would be a deterrent. But humans are not logical, especially the kinds who commit this kind of crime.

Advertisement