Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moveable / modular stage advice

• 08-02-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi

I am involved in a refurbishment project in a community hall and we are looking at the option of installing a removeable / modular type stage. We have two active drama groups in the area plus school / dancing class performances etc. However, having had a fixed stage for years, we would now like to be able to use the full hall when performances are not in progress, and to have flexibility in our staging at other times.

I have heard all sorts of stories about moveable stages being everything from wonderful to a disaster and a death trap. I would be really grateful for any advice you might be able to give me.

Many thanks

JAMAS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭BlueValkyrie

Modular stages are used extensively right across the industry - there's nothing wrong with them safety-wise, provided that:

a. It's a proper purpose built modular staging system e.g. of aluminium decks or similar, with the correct legs, clamps and bolts that are meant to go with it

b. That it is moved, stored and assembled only by people who are experienced and knowledgeable with that kind of staging.

In a community hall situation, if you can't afford the proper kit, or don't have regular trained crew to handle it, then perhaps you would be better off with a permanent install. It also depends how high you want your stage to be (lower is easier, as you might expect, and don't forget to factor in some steps to access it).

Also, it takes time to set up a stage correctly - just because it is modular does not mean that the hall could necessarily have a free floor for a dance class in the afternoon, and then a performance on stage an hour later.

I work in theatre, but am not a staging expert - I'd reccommend posting your question in one of the technical theatre forums - e.g. http://www.aist.ie/forum.php?page=index.php (quiet but friendly Irish forum) or the British http://www.blue-room.org.uk/ . You would get much more informed opinions on either of those, and they are usually happy to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

jamas wrote: »
    Hi

I am involved in a refurbishment project in a community hall and we are looking at the option of installing a removeable / modular type stage. We have two active drama groups in the area plus school / dancing class performances etc. However, having had a fixed stage for years, we would now like to be able to use the full hall when performances are not in progress, and to have flexibility in our staging at other times.

I have heard all sorts of stories about moveable stages being everything from wonderful to a disaster and a death trap. I would be really grateful for any advice you might be able to give me.

Many thanks

JAMAS

Have you considered using retractable tiered seating, with the stage then being on the same level as the rest of the floor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭BlueValkyrie

Have you considered using retractable tiered seating, with the stage then being on the same level as the rest of the floor?

This is also a really good idea - and having a stage at ground height means that you maximise the height over the stage, which helps for lighting, and increases the possibilities for set design. Audience sightlines would probably be better than having flat rows on the ground and a raised stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭jamas

Thanks for that. We did look at retractable seating, but found that it was way beyond our budget.....

Advertisement