Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - on-line Marketing in Ireland?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

How much would you say Netflix are spending on on-line Marketing in Ireland? They're everywhere!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Umm.... how would we guesstimate that ?

How can you check out many sites have there ad's on them.. how can you check how many affiliates they have up and running.

I'd say €11 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gralus

haha

Could an online advertiser not give a decent guesstimate?

By looking at the different websites I have been on that had Netflix's ads - we can say that there is no specific target market apart from the general public of Ireland.

On this basis - Would an online advertiser not have a list of top 100 sites in Ireland (traffic)? They should then have the costs for one month advertising or an average cost of a successful ppc campaign on a website for a month?

With the size of Netflix and the amount of ads I've seen so far - I would guesstimate that they would be on 70% of the top 100 websites.

If we had these figures you could give a pretty decent guesstimate..no? If not, what do you guys say (stats) when a big company comes in to you with a 100,000 online ad budget, asking what can you do with that?

Just some sort of calculated guestimate would be nice to here - no?

Also, there should be some service out there that allows you to view your competitors advertising online spend (well not spend but presence)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Most of the ads I'm seeing are run via both content based and remarketing on Adwords.

I haven't seen much in the way of "paid for" banners, so it's really hard to say how much they're actually spending.

But it's probably not as much as some people think - just because you see a banner ad a lot doesn't mean anything ..

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Haven't actually seen them that much...mainly just on Facebook and some AdWords.

As Blacknight says, doubt they are actually spending that much. Although I did see an TV advert - and they are always expensive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Ye im watching their ads on tv quite a bit but i cant say that i have been inundated with ads on the web.. ive seen one that i can mention ..

Discussed this the other day with someone i dont think netflix have quite the grasp on what exactly they will get from the irish population just yet..
    For instance
    1. Although Broadband isnt quite saturated despite the government rollout of the rural bb schemes etc it has high penetration but eircom are notably the highest carrier, that would lead me to believe that their 20gig cap is Pittance when u get hold of a service like netflix .. lol
    2. Sky (competition) Although their are other minor ones that dont get a mention sky go is FREE to ANYone with a sky package to the household with an approximate 30 channels inc all the movies and sports etc.. Pretty awesome quality too with a Fantastic NEW and Older database which is ever growing..
    3. Netflix eventhough is very cheap.. 7 euros .. It has a very poor up to date new catologue of movies and series, of which they dont have a top name old catalogue film collection.. :(

Im wondering ,
    1. Have they done their homework,
    2. Although cheap, will they think its value for money to be watching the predator 2 films again for 7 euros a month again ?
    3. Possibly released to quickly to become first to market (even do skygo is here months) ??

Any thoughts guys ?

2. Sky (competition) Although their are other minor ones that dont get a mention sky go is FREE to ANYone with a sky package to the household with an approximate 30 channels inc all the movies and sports etc.. Pretty awesome quality too with a Fantastic NEW and Older database which is ever growing..

I'm confused by this comment.

If you are a Sky subscriber you don't get the sports channels or the movie channels unless you pay extra for them.

As for Netflix's catalogue - the US one is obviously better, but hopefully they'll expand what's available here ..

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Blacknight wrote: »
    I'm confused by this comment.

If you are a Sky subscriber you don't get the sports channels or the movie channels unless you pay extra for them.

As for Netflix's catalogue - the US one is obviously better, but hopefully they'll expand what's available here ..

Em yes, I think you might want to check that one again Apprentice....!

Ahem.. Yes i stand corrected apologies to all..

Indeed my household has the full package and yes, it was either a typo or me being just plain blind to the facts at hand... prob the latter

IF u have the Full package .. u get the movies and sports gigs to supplement what you pay for already .. great for bedroom/laptop movies.
    Now u know why my posts are rushed and grammatically **** ^ :D

Well guys.. plenty of comments on the post but none on the company ??

I definitely think Netflix have done their homework - I think there presence in the market is more important than penetration. They are aggressively trying to get whatever user base they can in Ireland before Amazon come knocking.

I'm sure they know the size of market and broadband usage...and the lack of content/movies they have - They're just scared of the potential of Amazon et al dominating their industry globally and feel first mover advantage is a lot more important than market penetration and product value??

• Advertisement

Indeed my household has the full package and yes, it was either a typo or me being just plain blind to the facts at hand... prob the latter

IF u have the Full package .. u get the movies and sports gigs to supplement what you pay for already .. great for bedroom/laptop movies.
    Now u know why my posts are rushed and grammatically **** ^ :D
    Well it's not a "full" vs. "not full" package.
    I have all the movie channels because I'm into films, but I don't have any of the sports channels

I went into detail about my impressions of Netflix here:
    http://www.michele.me/blog/archives/2012/01/netflix-ireland-might-be-a-bit-overhyped/

Some fantastic reading on that link blacknight..

Im actually jealous of the quality of the review.. Its what i should have wrote :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

My internet is full of ads for Netflix, and the new Nokia phone.

I have both...

Ad money well spent I suppose.

Some fantastic reading on that link blacknight..

Im actually jealous of the quality of the review.. Its what i should have wrote :P

:)
    I just threw it up fairly quickly
    I must get round to doing a followup post

Since the post blacknight i saw your bump

Sky have now offered any new release movie for 4.99 kind of similar to xtravision and their rental dvd market .. only streamed

Mark my words netflix will not survive in its current state

Mark my words netflix will not survive in its current state

"Survive"?

They're already hugely successful in North America and their pricing blows everything else in the UK and Irish market out of the water.

Advertisement