Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Badly burned with a 2nd hand iPad

• 08-02-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I bought a 2nd hand ipad on the 6th of January this year for the princely sum of €315 on adverts.ie.

I was informed that it was well maintained (charged at only less that 5% etc) and so, as it came with all of the packaging, I picked it up.

One month to the day of the purchase, the ipad started to act up and by that I mean the screen started to "jump", apps freezing etc.

My first port of call was the Apple helpline who simply informed me that as the ipad had been purchased in the USA, it only comes with one year's warranty, and the device is 196 days out of warranty. They said the only remedy is replacing the device - cost - circa 260 euro!!!!

My second port of call was to message the guy I bought it from and his reply was effectively "it was working fine when you got it" and inferred that I must have dropped it or mishandled it in some way - which is, for the record, absolutely not true. Now, I could infer that its fairly strange that the device never displayed any problems whilst he had it, and it was just poor luck on my part that it "broke" one month after I got it, but that would get me nowhere.

My second port of call was "compub" who asked me to check the jackplug lead for any discolouration, of which there was none.

So, my question is, has my ipad before a very expensive teapot coaster, or is there anything I can do with it?

I am truly gutted as I spent a good bit of time deliberating on whether to spend the money on it at all, and when I finally decided to get one, this happened!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate,

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

A stupid question I know - but have you tried doing a restore on it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

have you tried a restore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

I think it's a bit unfair on the seller to say you've been badly burned.

It worked perfectly for a month and then started acting up. I don't think the seller could've "patched up" a broken iPad in such a way that it'd work for a month and then pack in.

As previously suggested, try a restore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

from experience iPod/ipad failures tend to happen suddenly ... the fact that it was in use for a month before failing .. i'd give the seller the benefit of the doubt.

Drop it in to someone like the techfixers and see if they can do a repair .. i've had a iPhone and iPod touch repaired by them recently and was happy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry OP but I don't have much sympathy for you even though it's frustrating.

This is always the risk with an electronic device, they can suddenly develop faults that did not exist before, so why you're blaming the seller is beyond me.

Just try the restore or bring it to a repair centre, I'm sure they can fix it.

Also, how is an iPad properly maintained? Apart from the battery charging, which AFAIK does not matter with modern batteries: What else can be done to maintain it apart from cleaning screen and avoiding liquids and falls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

That is the risk of buying a second hand item like this. You get it about half price but there is always the risk that something will go wrong. I have bought many things 2nd hand and just had to suck it up when it didnt work out.

As advised, give the seller the benefit of the doubt and try and get it fixed. Maybe think twice about the type of item that you would by second hand in the future, for me I always try and make sure that there is a genuine reason that the seller is selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Thanks a mill for that,

I haven't yet tried a restore as when I called Apple immediately - they mentioned nothing about trying any procedures with the device - simply that the only option was a replacement. This may speak to the cynical of ye who would think "well they would just say replace it - cha ching"

Perhaps I should give the seller the benefit of the doubt, but when you think you've lost €315 for one month's use of a device (it only having been recharged once which goes to show how little it was used) its unlikely that you would think instinctively so benevolently of the seller.

Obviously, its a case of "buyer beware" but frankly, if I were in his shoes, I would think about trying to come up with a solution for the buyer rather than assume he's some sort of clutz who opens doors with the ipad...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

no sympathy from me im afraid - this is the risk buying 2nd hand from a private seller.

not the sellers responsibility either - maybe if it failed the next day you may have a case but considering its been working fine for a month i'd suggest the problem wasnt there when you bought it.

try a restore and hope for the best !

good luck

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

everlast75 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that,

I haven't yet tried a restore as when I called Apple immediately - they mentioned nothing about trying any procedures with the device - simply that the only option was a replacement. This may speak to the cynical of ye who would think "well they would just say replace it - cha ching"

Perhaps I should give the seller the benefit of the doubt, but when you think you've lost €315 for one month's use of a device (it only having been recharged once which goes to show how little it was used) its unlikely that you would think instinctively so benevolently of the seller.

Obviously, its a case of "buyer beware" but frankly, if I were in his shoes, I would think about trying to come up with a solution for the buyer rather than assume he's some sort of clutz who opens doors with the ipad...

Apple won't provide free technical support after 90 days, never mind 2 1/2 years. The Tech Support agent would get in bother for telling you to restore. In fairness they could have charged you €40 for Tech support, and then told you to restore..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Op maybe you can give these guys a try http://www.mactivate.ie/

They are based in Blanchardstown in Dublin if you can make it out that way. If not, then I think they can collect the unit from you.

Give them a call anyway they are very helpful over the phone, They have been from my end anyway. Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

As mentioned just do a restore, iOS could just have got a bit corrupted, it happens, and its easy to fix. Restore, or wipe and reinstall,

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Any luck with the restore everlast75?

I must admit, at first glance all I saw in thread title was "Badly burned hand... iPad" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭mihau

as they are electronics and things can go wrong with them anytime, I for one agree with the seller. There was no way for him to know what would happen after 1 month with the iPad. Sorry man but unfortunately you were just unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In the immortal words of the Professor from Futurama... "good news everyone"..

The restore worked!

All of this trouble could have been avoided if I was simply told by Apple to try this. Their immediate and definitive words left me under no illusion but that I was simply f**ked and it was going to cost me over 260e. Unfortunately and like I said, given the proximity to the purchase, I was rather miffed.

To those that advised a "restore", many thanks indeed.

Likewise to those that extended their sympathies.

To those that thought "tough sh*t", well let's just say it must be marvellous to be able not worry about losing 315e, you are truly considerate people and finally I do hope a similar fate doesn't become you.

Anyhoo, could a mod please close this thread?

Many thanks folks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Great news Everlast75.
    Happy to say i was the first in with the "have you tried a restore".... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

I think you can close the thread yourself in Thread Tools.

And as for your thoughts for the "tough sh*t" people, maybe if you asked for help first instead of blaming the seller for selling you a dud, people might've reacted differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

The restore worked!

All of this trouble could have been avoided if I was simply told by Apple to try this. Their immediate and definitive words left me under no illusion but that I was simply f**ked and it was going to cost me over 260e. Unfortunately and like I said, given the proximity to the purchase, I was rather miffed.

To those that thought "tough sh*t", well let's just say it must be marvellous to be able not worry about losing 315e, you are truly considerate people and finally I do hope a similar fate doesn't become you.

In view of the thread title you chose, perhaps you didn't explain it to Apple in such a way that would lend them to offer the solution you sought? In any case, the fact that the unit was bought in the USA in no way affects its warranty, only the fact that it's out of date is relevant.

A misbehaving iPad can invariably be disciplined simply by holding down the home button and power button simultaneously and not releasing until it shuts down and the Apple logo reappears. Alternatively resetting network settings will also clear matters up.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

my lack of sympathy was purely due to your insistence that the seller was somehow responsible - which they cannot possibly be after it worked for a month.

i'm happy the restore worked for you - as with most technology, a reboot and/or software reinstall normally fixes things.

i wager that it was probably some new app that you installed that did the damage - perhaps you can recall if you made any modifications to the ipad in the days leading up the the bad burn?

happy days anyhoo, i'm chuffed for ya !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The restore worked!

Wow, just wow. Talk about gratitude

I think you should look back over the posts. Nobody here didn't give a sh1t, all advised a restore whilst some felt you were wrong to blame the seller.
    Also Apple got it wrong too, but of course that's nothing to do with your communication skills.

Also in the time it took you to start a thread here and ring apple you could have googled your problem and found a solution within minutes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

As mentioned by others, you blamed the seller before accepting that it could just be something technical. I'm glad the restore worked, but you blamed the seller, people opinioned that it wasn't the sellers fault, as they had a right too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Was the seller happy when you rang him after the restore and said sorry that it was your mistake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

apple support is good but i'd always try with queries here first.
    Save yourself an 1850 call, most likely your problem is common & has been asked here before & you'll get a helpful & quick response.

Great to hear that you got it resolved though!

Advertisement