Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parish maps of Galway request

Options
  • 08-02-2012 12:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever seen parish maps of galway, in this case for the roman catholic church? Where it outlines which geographic area is assigned to which church building. Where can I get my hands on one?
    Have they changed in the last 25 years given the increase in population?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not for the RC church but the map below shows the civil parishes of Galway, you probably already seen that?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/civilparish/index.cfm?fuseaction=GetMap&CityCounty=Galway

Maybe something here
    http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Superhoops

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen parish maps of galway, in this case for the roman catholic church? ... Have they changed in the last 25 years given the increase in population?

Yes, they've changed.

The Doughiska/Roscam/Ardaun parish was formally established in 2007, after someone was appointed to work in the area in 2004.

I don't know dates for Renmore, Mervue, Ballybane or Tirellan, but understand that they were established in living memory. Maybe a little more than 25 years ago, though.

Official boundaries do exist (at least in the mind of the Catholic hierarchy), though I don't know if they're published for the public to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

JustMary wrote: »
    I don't know dates for Renmore, Mervue, Ballybane or Tirellan, but understand that they were established in living memory. Maybe a little more than 25 years ago, though.

Mervue church was built in the 60s (there's a plaque near the sacristy entrance commemorating somebody who died during its construction.

I'm fairly sure the parish (and the others) came into being around this time (they were formerly part of Castlegar afaik).

I can't remember seeing one in Meruve, but a few churches in Galway have a list of the PPs and curates that have served the parish - that'd be a good pointer if the list started in the 1900s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Superhoops wrote: »
    Aren't you the smart one? If you are so smart maybe you can point to the specific Google result that actually leads to the map the OP was asking for. I've gone through five pages of Google results and I don't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

JustMary wrote: »
    Yes, they've changed.

The Doughiska/Roscam/Ardaun parish was formally established in 2007, after someone was appointed to work in the area in 2004.

Official boundaries do exist (at least in the mind of the Catholic hierarchy), though I don't know if they're published for the public to see.
    Ballinfoyle (Tirellan) was part of Castlegar parish until sometime in the 1980s I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Most new parishs came out of Rahoon or Castlegar parishes.

Read this and links.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68733810&postcount=49

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Check out the old OSI maps on OSI.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So how do I find out the geographic boundary between those whose assigned local church is St. Josephs or Sacred Heart or Cathedral?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

OP is there a particular parish you're interested in or just a general interest? The parishs on the west side of the city have changed a few times because of the churches being built in Westside and Knocknacarra and because of the new estates built in these areas. I don't know about the other parishs but you should be able to get a map defining Knocknacarra parish from the Knocknacarra national school as they use it in deciding which children to give places too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm just interested to see how the growth of the town has been reflected in parish maps tbh and where boundary lines have shifted or been created.
    I've never seen a map like it yet I presume it does exist.
    Maybe I should write to the bishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I'm just interested to see how the growth of the town has been reflected in parish maps tbh and where boundary lines have shifted or been created.

Did you try the diocese website? I don't know if they have a map but they have a list of parishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

When I was in St. Mary's there was a map of the city parishes and of the diocesan boundaries up on the wall in the entrance hall. For administrative purposes I believe the parishes are being merged into 'clusters'.

Historically the parishes were much bigger, i.e. Salthill, Westside, and Barna were all part of the parish of Rahoon, until the population growth necessitated they be split up.

It is important to note that the 'Civil Parish', is a historical administrative unit based on the medieval parish structure of the Church, these were then used by the Church of Ireland, and in many cases are contiguous with the parish structure still used by the CoI.

Advertisement