Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Early Variety? suggestions.

Options
  • 08-02-2012 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Any suggestions on a first early variety? I set orla's last year and they were very successful but am looking for something a bit more floury. Sharpes Express, Home Guard ???

Soil temperature? 7C + needed ? would you go along with this before setting seeds potatoes.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

I set Epicure and Sharpes Express. Epicure seems to handle a bit of frost well and Sharpes take a little longer to mature. Both lovely spuds....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭usainbolt

Got a 5kg bag of sharpes express today. will chit them for a couple of weeks and hopefull the ground will be warmed up enough by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

you must grow some duke of york they are v flowery and v tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭usainbolt

Cheers will do, my dad loves his floury spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sitamoia

Hi, first post. I bought Sharpes Express today, had them last year and they were beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

usainbolt wrote: »
    Any suggestions on a first early variety? I set orla's last year and they were very successful but am looking for something a bit more floury. Sharpes Express, Home Guard ???

Soil temperature? 7C + needed ? would you go along with this before setting seeds potatoes.

Thanks.

First earlies are more waxy than floury, you have to let them grown on a little longer to get the floury flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Just dug my first Homeguards early this morning to see how they were getting on. Results from 3 stalks. Not a heavy crop, earlies never are but ideal size.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

recommend duke of Yorks, my fav of the earlies, you can put them in ground now once chitted..

Advertisement