Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible/probably rent scam.

Options
  • 08-02-2012 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

So I'm looking for a new place. A house/apartment share.

I was looking on daft and saw 4 apts near work in the same complex. I messaged each one (none of them had a phone number). One messaged me back and I arranged a time to see the place. I got there and the guy wasn't there. He arrived a few minutes later. I saw the apt. He said I could move in this friday. But I'd have to provide him with Id and a deposit/rent on the day. I asked how he wanted the deposit, he said bank. I asked which bank and he said whichever one was easiest. And he wouldn't be able to let me move in till 9pm that night.

Over the next day I started to feel dodgy and yesterday decided I wasn't going to move in. The bank deposit before I moved in, the fact that he wasn't there when i arrived. All these things started making me feel uneasy.

This morning I checked daft. The 4 listings that had been there were taken down. But there were 4 more. They're the apartment I viewed. The photo's are all from different angles. But it's the same place. None of the listings have a phone number, and they each have a different contact name.

I'm obviously not going ahead with it. But I want to do something about it. I was thinking about going to the police. But I don't know if they can do anything. I was also thinking about contacting Daft. But I don't know what they can do either. Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Tell Daft.

From what you say, it looks like a scam. I am sure Daft has experience of such things, and has ways of dealing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

St_Crispin wrote: »
    So I'm looking for a new place. A house/apartment share.

I was looking on daft and saw 4 apts near work in the same complex. I messaged each one (none of them had a phone number). One messaged me back and I arranged a time to see the place. I got there and the guy wasn't there. He arrived a few minutes later. I saw the apt. He said I could move in this friday. But I'd have to provide him with Id and a deposit/rent on the day. I asked how he wanted the deposit, he said bank. I asked which bank and he said whichever one was easiest. And he wouldn't be able to let me move in till 9pm that night.

Over the next day I started to feel dodgy and yesterday decided I wasn't going to move in. The bank deposit before I moved in, the fact that he wasn't there when i arrived. All these things started making me feel uneasy.

This morning I checked daft. The 4 listings that had been there were taken down. But there were 4 more. They're the apartment I viewed. The photo's are all from different angles. But it's the same place. None of the listings have a phone number, and they each have a different contact name.

I'm obviously not going ahead with it. But I want to do something about it. I was thinking about going to the police. But I don't know if they can do anything. I was also thinking about contacting Daft. But I don't know what they can do either. Anyone got any advice?

Scam for certain. Contact Daft. Unfortunately the most they can probably do is take the adds down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Forget Daft. Contact the Gardai. Perfect situation for them to catch someone red handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

its not that uncommon..get the keys to an apartment, show it and look for the readies ASAP afterwards. Had someone try it with me years back, probably mostly aimed at newly arrived foreigners

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 networkguy

Report it to Daft - Gardai wont be able to act quick enough, as you can bet whoever is at it will be long gone before the Gardai arrive, plus unless you have actually been a victim of a crime the Gardai will not investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

networkguy wrote: »
    Report it to Daft - Gardai wont be able to act quick enough, as you can bet whoever is at it will be long gone before the Gardai arrive, plus unless you have actually been a victim of a crime the Gardai will not investigate.
    So, if you heard that someone was planning a robbery and you told the Gardaí, they wouldn't do anything as you're not a victim?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

That is nonsense. Not everyone who reports a crime is a victim of that crime. People often report a car being driven dangerously. How do the guards investigate a murder when the victim is by definition invariably dead? Anyone who can give information about a crime can get a Duistrict Court Judge to issue a summons against the accused let alone make a complaint to the garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

:rolleyes:

Advertisement