Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why won't my emails send?

• 08-02-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

I have an iphone 4 and for the past week it doesn't seem to send emails for me. It keeps them in the message outbox and constantly tries to send and eventually fails. It had been working fine for the past year or so. My email is eircom.net. I can receive mail perfectly.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Your outgoing email server needs to be your ISP's. Eircom's outgoing server won't work unless you are connected via their network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Your outgoing email server needs to be your ISP's. Eircom's outgoing server won't work unless you are connected via their network.

This is something I've had problems with too with an eircom account. Does that mean you have to change your outgoing email server every time you switch from say a Wifi to a 3G data connection?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, you can add multiple outgoing servers. If the primary one doesn't work, it will automatically send using one of the other ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thanks Professor, but why did it change last week? And how can I solve it? It's three I'm with.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

finbarrk wrote: »
    Thanks Professor, but why did it change last week? And how can I solve it? It's three I'm with.

Add this : mail-relay.3ireland.ie to your list of SMTP servers, and it should use that when you are out and about

• Advertisement

Just checked that and it's on it allready. Anyone any other ideas on how I can solve this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

go into the outgoing server and re-enter the password and try send an email, it should work

Username and password are optional so I hadn't a password on it.
    The message that comes up is 'The SMPT server 'mail-relay.3ireland.ie' is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the 'Outgoing Mail Server' field.
    Confused.

the passwrod you need to enter in the outgoing is the same as the password you use to login to view your email on a pc

Tried that Guil, but once I put in the password, 'verifying' just stays on at the top of the screen and nothing happens after that.
    Just wondering what is 'server port' 25 on the bottom line of the Outgoing Mail Server section?

• Advertisement

not sure, try deleting the account and set it up again

Did that guil but I am now trying to get it going again and this message is on the screen. 'Cannot connect using SSL. Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL? Yes/No'
    I don't know what this means.

I have it set up again but back to square 1, still won't send an email.
    I wonder would the staff in the three shop be able to sort it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Did that guil but I am now trying to get it going again and this message is on the screen. 'Cannot connect using SSL. Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL? Yes/No'
    I don't know what this means.

You should answer yes to this. Apparently 3 won't offer any support for the SMTP server according to other threads I've read, some say they won't even acknowledge it exists!!:eek:

Settings should be:

mail-relay.3ireland.ie
    User name blank
    passwork blank
    SSL - OFF
    Server port 25.

Just tried it on mine, and its working fine.

I don't know whiterebel, those settings are the same as mine but still no good.
    The funny thing about this is I have had iphones for 3 years now and they always sent emails. Via eircom.net. Maybe it's an Eircom problem?
    I'm still receiving emails though.

I don't know whiterebel, those settings are the same as mine but still no good.
    The funny thing about this is I have had iphones for 3 years now and they always sent emails. Via eircom.net. Maybe it's an Eircom problem?
    I'm still receiving emails though.

I don't know how it can do that, unless you're on an Eircom network. Someone has suggested eircom webmail details to go in there, but I've never seen that working. If you do a search on this forum for eircom you might find the suggestions.....

Seems to be sorted now whiterebel. This morning I put the settings to,
    Host Name: webmail.eircom.net
    User Name: (the first part of my email address)
    Password: *********

SMTP: mail-relay.3ireland.ie

Advanced
    Incoming Settings
    Use SSL: OFF
    Authentication: Password
    Delete from server: Never
    Server Port 110

It has sent 4 or 5 emails there now anyway thankfully.

Seems to be sorted now whiterebel. This morning I put the settings to,
    Host Name: webmail.eircom.net
    User Name: (the first part of my email address)
    Password: *********

SMTP: mail-relay.3ireland.ie

Advanced
    Incoming Settings
    Use SSL: OFF
    Authentication: Password
    Delete from server: Never
    Server Port 110

It has sent 4 or 5 emails there now anyway thankfully.

Thats how its working - you're using your username and password. Most ISPs don't need these, thats why they won't allow it to send on other SMTP servers, it stops them being used by spammers.

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Advertisement