Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking appeal of Permanent Ban

Options
  • 08-02-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I have been issued a permanent ban by one of the Mods on the Shooting Forums.

I have sought redress from the Mod (also a CMod) who has directed me to begin the DR process.

I contend that the Mod/CMod in question (Sparks) issued me the ban, not because of a breach of the rules of boards.ie but due to a personal dislike for my comments in a discussion topic on the forum. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056541191

He has, obviously, allowed his own personal feelings and beliefs on the topic under discussion to inform his decision making process, thus making the decision to ban me, not as a Mod/CMod of boards, but as a poster on the discussion topic.

I believe that this is not grounds for any form of infraction, never mind a permanent site ban - indeed is a misuse of the privileges inherent in being a Mod/CMod - and would ask that the matter be reviewed and my account reinstated without delay.

B'Man
    Sparks wrote:
    Bananaman wrote:
    Sparks wrote:
    Hi Bananaman,

You have been banned from Shooting for the following duration:

Permanent

for the following reason:

Because I've had enough of your dishonest crap. Find somewhere else to go and badmouth our sports. I'm done giving you a platform for it.

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after Permanent. You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the allotted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.

Bans occur after a serious rules breach so please keep in mind that Moderators don't just decide to ban people out of the blue. If you wish to appeal this ban, please follow our Dispute Resolution Process here. Your first action should always be to PM the Moderator(s) of the forum to discuss the ban. Remember that our Mods are volunteers and are not always online, so they may not be able to answer you straight away.

All the best,
    boards.ie

I would appreciate if this decision was ratified by a higher authority in boards.ie.

I fail to see how I have breached the rules of boards.ie and under what conditions you feel you are justified in handing down a permanent ban from the site.

As you are obviously too close to the matter under discussion and are in no way able to offer an objective viewpoint I feel your decision making process is compromised.

Nigel Barrett
    Bananaman

I issued the ban and the only other CMod in Sports is currently unavailable, so begin the DR thread in accordance with the charter and the Admins will deal with it directly.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Bananaman wrote: »
    I contend that the Mod/CMod in question (Sparks) issued me the ban, not because of a breach of the rules of boards.ie but due to a personal dislike for my comments in a discussion topic on the forum.
    He has, obviously, allowed his own personal feelings and beliefs on the topic under discussion to inform his decision making process, thus making the decision to ban me, not as a Mod/CMod of boards, but as a poster on the discussion topic.

I will not be accepting the above reasons for your ban as it is not the case and could not be further from the truth.

I know that all the Mods of that forum have discussed your behaviour for some time now and it is the mutual decision of those Mods that your behaviour in that forum is unacceptable.

This perma ban has more to do with your over all, constantly unacceptable behaviour.
    Please note, this ban has not been taken lightly.
    Over the life of the forum, there have only been a handful of perma bans given.
    This says a lot about the reluctance of the Mods to hand them out and when they do, it is because they have no other choice.

I have been looking into this over the course of the morning and considering the length of time you have been causing the Mods of that forum hassle, I cannot understand how it took them so long to come to this decision.
    They have been exceedingly patient with you and for what it's worth, I would certainly not have given you as much leeway as they have.

Considering the amount of time these Mods have put into you as a poster, I see no reason to ask them to once again do so.
    They are volunteers and their time shouldn't be constantly wasted on someone who does not know how to conduct themselves appropriately.

I see no reason to over turn this ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Thank you for taking the time to review the matter.

It is a pity the mods (on shooting.boards.ie) cannot separate their duties as mods, where they are meant to be objective and ensure the fora charters are adhered to, from their own subjective viewpoints on a topic under discussion.

I feel that this ban is a symptom of that very dilemma. The mod in question (Sparks) may feel he is giving over an inordinate amount of his volunteered time as a mod to arguing with me - but he is doing that as himself, by choice, not as a mod, by necessity.

The issue at hand is that he no longer sees the difference.

He, personally may offer an opinion on a topic, but as a mod he may only ensure that the fora charter is adhered to, objectively.

In this instance the line was muddied as I was not in breach of the fora charter and he has issued a perma ban, on the sole basis that he did not like what I had to say, on a topic of discussion that he has a particular viewpoint on.

I have spent a number of hours reviewing my posting history on shooting.boards.ie and this has very often been the case.

I have been variously attacked by one or more of the mods because they, personally, did not agree with me. That is the nature of discussion, the purpose of discussion topics. I have no problems with that. It's a free world.

If the mods disagree with what I have to say, then that is a subjective decision,. based on their own personal views, and not an objective one made as a mod.

Therefore I do not agree that they have been wasting their time on me. They have been spending their time on me, by choice.

Obviously, the Dispute Resolution Process has been exhausted seeing as you, as an admin, have made a decision.

I have no doubt you will have to make many more, when these bans may be issued, for no other reason than the mods do not agree with your point of view.

B'Man

Advertisement