Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eamonn Coughlan joins Fine Gael

• 08-02-2012 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

I'm slightly disappointed he has taken this step so early in his tenure as a senator - with a few harsh budgets to come over the next few years, I think an independant voice in the senate who could question cuts in sports funding was useful whereas now he will have to tow the party line really.

TAOISEACH ENDA Kenny declared himself “thrilled” yesterday at the news that Senator Eamon Coghlan is to take the Fine Gael whip.
    The former champion athlete, who was nominated to Seanad Éireann by Mr Kenny earlier this year, said he had taken the initiative on the matter by approaching Fine Gael.

Full Story:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0208/1224311466356.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭too much trifle

independent my a**e,
    a taste of power,
    power corrupts etc etc,
    who better to explain sports cuts than a national hero,
    :mad:if it comes from Eamonn Couglan, it must be the right thing to do,:mad:
    so obvious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

independent my a**e,
    a taste of power,
    power corrupts etc etc,
    who better to explain sports cuts than a national hero,
    :mad:if it comes from Eamonn Couglan, it must be the right thing to do,:mad:
    so obvious!

I genuinely don't believe that was the motivation from either side, but it is now the road he will be forced down - he will have to support things he does not agree with, thats the nature of being in a party. I find it strange though that Coughlan would join Fine Gael when they intend to do away with the Senate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I find it strange though that Coughlan would join Fine Gael when they intend to do away with the Senate.

You may have answered your own question with that. From Irish Times

"Asked if he would now be going for election to the Dáil, Senator Coghlan said his next step was to become a member of Fine Gael. “We’ll take it from there,” he said."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    You may have answered your own question with that. From Irish Times

"Asked if he would now be going for election to the Dáil, Senator Coghlan said his next step was to become a member of Fine Gael. “We’ll take it from there,” he said."

Eamo for Mayor of Dublin - that would suit his style I think.

If that does not work out give him a job in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Eamo for Minister of Sport. He will then convert all those golf courses to cross-country courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Did anyone hear his reaction after someone texted in to say that he would lose his 27 k allowance as "leader." He didn't know this, and seemed shocked. Hmm, one wonders if he really will go thru with joining now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I honestly think the he'll have more say in how sports is funded from within the government as opposed to being an independent senator, which as we all know the senate is just a talking shop for either up and coming TDs, or failed election candidates, which no one really listens to.

He's still active in athletics isn't he, sure didn't he have his fellow senators doing their exercises recently.

walshb wrote: »
    Did anyone hear his reaction after someone texted in to say that he would lose his 27 k allowance as "leader." He didn't know this, and seemed shocked. Hmm, one wonders if he really will go thru with joining now.

Look at the legacy left behind by FF in politics, when only a few days ago the man was seen as a national hero and in one fell swoop some people are now seeing him as being morally corrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    Eamo for Minister of Sport. He will then convert all those golf courses to cross-country courses.

He wont be in FG long if he tries that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    Former captain of Luttrellstown Golf Club ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I honestly think the he'll have more say in how sports is funded from within the government as opposed to being an independent senator
    Didn't work out well for George Lee. A newbie to the party won't have much of a say.

• Advertisement

George Lee was/is a whinger. And there's not many feet to thread on in the whole sporting area within the party, unless Leo takes exception.

George Lee was/is a whinger. And there's not many feet to thread on in the whole sporting area within the party, unless Leo takes exception.

There are plenty of people in line for a ministerial position in FG before Eamonn Coughlan. Like George Lee he will be a good vote puller and good for the parties image. He wont make a ministry---that will be one of the "old boys".

Like George Lee he will find attempts to influence the relevant minister futile. Thats politics. Im sure if he complains he'll also be dubbed a whinger.

Im surprised he made the move after his frustrating experience in athletic administration/politics.

I'm not talking from the point of view as him getting a ministerial position, but from having his policies noticed. Lee was trying to get into the finance/economics area where there's lots of vying for position whereas I think as there's less interest in the sports bar some vested interests there'll be less voices to be heard over.

But Lee was like a little spoiled child when he left the party after such a short time, he didn't come out of it looking good at all, he handled it very badly.

I'm not talking from the point of view as him getting a ministerial position, but from having his policies noticed. Lee was trying to get into the finance/economics area where there's lots of vying for position whereas I think as there's less interest in the sports bar some vested interests there'll be less voices to be heard over.

But Lee was like a little spoiled child when he left the party after such a short time, he didn't come out of it looking good at all, he handled it very badly.

I think it was strongly implied to Lee that he would have some influence in Finance in the very short term. That was quite obvious. Not as minister but certainly in an advisory capacity. They actually wanted Lee for one thing: to top the polls in a bi-election. I fear the same motive for Eamonn....and if i was Lee i would also be pissed off too after having made such a commitment to be more or less blanked. He was treated rather badly i thought.

Hope the same fate doesnt await Coughlan. He'll be humoured with the odd meeting with the sports minister. That will be it tho.

I thought if he went as an independent for the Dublin mayorship he would be in a far stronger position to make a difference. The Mayorship is something that obviously suits an independent and the public would certainly back someone like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

walshb wrote: »

Where can I listen to that ?

I think I'm just a littler more optimistic than yourself T Runner, the start of February is too early to turn a pessimist for me, give me a couple of months and we'll be singing from the same hymn sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

To be fair, I'd lose my mind if I had to sit through that bleeding show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

rom wrote: »

Jaysuz and they wonder why people turn away from politics!!

School children would be better behaved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Chairman of the Bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I thought one of them performed very well, especially after being "manhandled" by Coghlan. ;)

Advertisement