Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emailing list New Startup

Options
  • 08-02-2012 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi, I am now at the stage were I finished designing my site and need to begin working on the marketing.

I wanted to know if it were possible to buy e-mailing lists, my target Audience is Female between 22 and 35, although our products and services are available to both men and female at all ages we believe from research that our biggest consumer would be females in this age bracket.

The business would fit in with the category of coupons, essentially it is another deal site like groupon, but obviously not the exact same as groupon.

So my Questions really are:

1. Can I buy an e-mailing list, if yes where and whats a rough cost.

2. What is a good way to build a mailing list before the launch of the site, like would partnering with people that have that sort of access be a good idea?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Be very very careful

You'd be better off advertising in an existing newsletter that people have chosen to subscribe to

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Blacknight wrote: »
    Be very very careful

You'd be better off advertising in an existing newsletter that people have chosen to subscribe to

I am presuming your be careful is in regard to data protection?

I know there are avenues like adervtising with newsletters but really what we are looking for is to have and build our own mailing list that we can contact when we need to.

Or perhaps I am misunderstanding your suggestion?

If you "buy" a list you have no way of knowing how the emails were collected

So do you want to be known as a "spammer"?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Blacknight wrote: »
    If you "buy" a list you have no way of knowing how the emails were collected

So do you want to be known as a "spammer"?

No, like most other businesses out there we want to be perceived in a positive light with our potential customer base, so I guess now its just

1. Can I buy an e-mailing list, if yes where and whats a rough cost.

2. What is a good way to build a mailing list before the launch of the site, like would partnering with people that have that sort of access be a good idea?

It depends on your market - go where they go and see what you can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 colmbie

It's a bit slow but when I needed to start an email list for a particular niche site, I went on twitter, found someone in my niche with a load of followers, followed all his followers, and then tweeted that there was a free related report on my site.

Everyone who wanted the report had to subscribe to my list.

Got a handful of signups each day for about a week and it's grown organically since then. But more importantly, starting off I got people who were actively interested in my niche...always better that having thousands of people who don't give a sh!te about what I'm promoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

As mentioned, when it comes to web marketing, think 'pull' not 'push'.

People don't want to be advertised at - but they are open to subscribing to you if they are interested in what you are offering. Especially if it is free -if you can produce something truly valuable then people will want to know more.

Advertisement