Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing old Hedge and planting a new one

Options
  • 08-02-2012 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I am hoping to cut out the old hedge this weekend and plant a new Privet hedge in its place.
    This is going to sound stupid but I know the best way to do this is to cut the old hedge and dig out all the roots, but I’d like to avoid the digging bit.
    Question I have is, will I get away with cutting the old hedge right down to the base and planting the new hedge in between where the old hedge was? Will this restrict the growth of the new hedge?
    I know I'm looking for an easy way out :rolleyes:, but would like to hear your opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

What is in the old hedge that will start regrowing from the stumps? You could paint a bit of killer on to the cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

Yeah that would be my plan. But teh old hedge is dead since last winter so I can't imagine much growth left in it. But yeah, a bit of brushwood killer or something on the cuts should do it. I am more worried about the old roots restricting growth on the new hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

claw14 wrote: »
    Yeah that would be my plan. But teh old hedge is dead since last winter so I can't imagine much growth left in it. But yeah, a bit of brushwood killer or something on the cuts should do it. I am more worried about the old roots restricting growth on the new hedge.

All depends, what variety is the old or new hedge? If the old hedge is dead no need to treat but as you suggest the roots will most likely inhibit the development of the new hedge. How tall or old is the existing hedge? It may be possible to pull/lever out the old hedge with most of the root material attached. An axe might be useful to sever any snagging roots.

Most common cause of plant failure and/or underdevelopment is poor ground preparation and it rarely pays to take any short cuts. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

claw14 wrote: »
    Sounds like a griselinia hedge that died on you. As long as you can get the roots of the new plants into the ground, I doubt you willl have much of a problem establishing the new hedge.
    If the old roots are very strong, you can hire a stump grinder and grind them away. Fast and easy to use. When your new plants are safely in, make sure to mulch around them with grass clippings or wood chip for a year or two untill well established.
    Good luck.

Thanks Guys, Yes its another griselinia that died in the frost. I'm putting in a golden privet in it's place to match up woth a neighbouring/mixed hedge that seemed to survive. When you say "safely in" what exactly do you mean? Should I leave them a month or 2 before putting the grass clippings around them ? Is it a good idea to add fertiliser when planting ? If so what's best ?

Thanks again......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 greenart

You can try and plant in between the old hedge stumps but it will be quite difficult as you will come across a number of tough roots to deal with as well as the fibrous roots to get through. Also to space the new plants equally apart with the old hedge system in place will not make it easy either. i think in the end you will better off taking up the old hedge and starting a fresh.

Quick update, Cut out the old hedge and was left with stumps at ground level. Drilled a few holes in each and painted with brushwood killer. Planted new hedge approx 8" outside the old hedge. It will fill back over time!!!! Came accross very few old roots. Anything I did come accross were fairly small and easily broken/cut with the spade. Anyway fairly straigh forward job but taking out and getting rid of the old hedge is by far the worst.

Just one question. There was quite a bit ov ivy up through the old hedge. I pulled as much as I could but is there a way to kill the ivy without harming the new hedge ?

Thanks for all your help folks.

Advertisement