Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamburg for a stag

• 08-02-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭

Thinking of heading to Hamburg for a stag in Aug or Sept. Anyone been there and could suggest some good places to go? We want to avoid Irish bars as I hear they're awful there. Will also be trying to take in a match if possible at the time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

dan1895 wrote: »
    Thinking of heading to Hamburg for a stag in Aug or Sept. Anyone been there and could suggest some good places to go? We want to avoid Irish bars as I hear they're awful there. Will also be trying to take in a match if possible at the time.

Thanks

I've been there :p

The Reeperbahn is where most of the action is at, most of what you would want is around there, clubs, bars, restaurants, strip clubs, tranny shows, gigs, etc. Hamburger Berg & Hans-Albers-Platz are probably the best parts around the Reeperbahn.

Schanze also has good bars but is more laid back.

What type of a match are looking to try for? If it's football then HSV and St. Pauli are the 2 main teams. HSV tickets are easy enough to get outside the stadium, St. Pauli tickets are near impossible to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Hey guys, not sure the rules for posting here on an old thread .

Anyway I'm going to Hamburg for my stag this summer , other than the repperbahn is there an area in Hamburg with normal bars / clubs ?

A work colleague is back from Hamburg last weekend and he says the repperbahn is a rough seedy kip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Hey guys, not sure the rules for posting here on an old thread .

Anyway I'm going to Hamburg for my stag this summer , other than the repperbahn is there an area in Hamburg with normal bars / clubs ?

A work colleague is back from Hamburg last weekend and he says the repperbahn is a rough seedy kip

I don't remember Hamburg 5 minutes after getting home never mind after a wedding, 5 years of marriage and two kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

good man Dan, cheers for that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

I'd agree with the observation that the Reeperbahn is a seedy kip. I was there nearly 20 years ago and it obviously hasn't changed.

I'd suggest maybe checking out tripadvisor or similar for advice on bars or clubs that are less seedy & kippy as that's generally my first source when travelling somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I was in Hamburg in November just for one night before going to Copenhagen, the area around the Reeperbahn felt like a kip and there were groups of African men hanging out everywhere and we were warned by several groups to watch out for pickpockets. We were staying in the St. George area as we needed to be beside the train station, the city centre area was like a ghost town at night, there was nobody around and we struggled to find anywhere to grab a pint.

We were only there for a few hours so not really fair to judge but did not strike me as a place I would be rushing back to.

Advertisement