Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for Solidworks/CAD

Options
  • 08-02-2012 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi folks, this is my first post on boards.ie so your patience would be appreciated!:)

I am a masters student who just got a copy of Solidworks 2012 (student edition) and I am also looking into buying a new laptop. I hope to use the solidworks to model 3D parts as part of my thesis this year.

From their system requirements page...
    http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

...I can see the RAM etc needed to run it BUT I am struggling to follow the graphics card requirements (integrated ok? or dedicated?) I am finding it hard to discern what is OK amongst a bewildering array of graphics cards.

BOTTOM LINE - What are the cheapest laptops out there that can run a student copy of Solidworks 2012 to a decent standard?

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Can't confirm it will run SW2012, but I would expect it to.
    Dell Precision M4400
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Laptops-Netbooks-/177/i.html?_nkw=dell+m4400&_catref=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have you asked the guys who sold you the Solidworks what they'd recommend in a laptop? As far as I know the guys in SolidSolutions would also sell you a laptop too. If not they'd definitely be of help with the specs for one.

Remember it's in their interest to help you out as in the future you could be upgrading to a full Solidworks pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

P45Gael wrote: »
    BOTTOM LINE - What are the cheapest laptops out there that can run a student copy of Solidworks 2012 to a decent standard?

"Decent standard" is going to need some sort of dedicated graphics card. I don't know what the minimum graphics requirements to get Solidworks running are (assume they're pretty low), but there is a list of certified drivers here, so you can be sure a particular driver on a particular card/PC spec works ok. The Precision M4400 mentioned above is listed, as is some Intel P3000 integrated chipset.

I'd see what graphics cards Dell, HP etc. offer and just build a system around one of these (rather than vice versa).

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steve_kav

I am running solidworks on a toshiba satelite.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOSHIBA-SATELLITE-C660-23U-500GB-15-6-INCH-LAPTOP-SILVER-/330687052644?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item4cfe7bfb64

It was the cheapest laptop I could find at €299 in harvey norman. It's good for anything up to 500 features and then begins to get a bit laggy. If your doing assemblies it doesn't lag unless the combined total number of features in the parts are around 500 also.

It really depends how many features you want in your models. If your passing 500 on a regular basis like myself this laptop can be quite annoying with the lag but I dont know what type of drawings you want to do.

Advertisement