Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES Fanboy finally adopts FIFA

Options
  • 08-02-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

I regard PES06 (fully patched on the PC) as the great footie game ever, and have been left disappointed by each PES game since. I tried to love each game but just got so frustrated with it.
    I tried each FIFA but couldn't get into it... until now.
    I have to say, FIFA12 has won me over. Sure it has some annoying aspects, but I haven't played a more enjoyable footie game since PES06.
    Anyone else made the switch and not looking back?
    Does anyone play both?

PES or FIFA? 55 votes

Still love PES! Only game for me
    0% 0 votes
    Always played Fifa
    10% 6 votes
    Used to be a PES player - now Fifa
    23% 13 votes
    Used to play Fifa - now play PES
    63% 35 votes
    I play both regularly!
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I made the switch after the god awful PES 2008 on PS3. My mates were always FIFA fans during the highs of PES and I would play FIFA (2008) whenever they brought over, and it played so much better and was much more enjoyable. I haven't looked back since but there's always a part of me that hopes PES will return to the good times.

PES 6 was without doubt one of the best football games I've ever played, and I loved the fact that there were no official licenses or names, it felt like we were playing the underground football game, the real fans choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

used to love PES since the ISS days, ISS pro 98 on PS1 was a brilliant game and kept playing PES until PES6. when PES stopped improving, I tried FIFA 08, it was ok but didnt grab me, thought it was a bit slow.

then fifa 09 happened! disappointingly I feel that Fifa has gone slowly backwards since then and the game has regressed a lot online as well and I havent played Fifa 12 yet, i probably will at some stage but probably not with the same commitment as previous games.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FlapsOfDoom

PES6 destroyed my love for the games, I remember when i played PES1-5 I always told everybody that it was the best football game ever because, simply, it was. But then PES6 happened, I can't remember exactly why I hated it so much but I just know it wasn't the same as 1-5. So i got FIFA 07 (i think) and ever since then its the only football game i play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

PES2008 on PS2 or PES6 on Pc were the greatest of the PES games.

But Konami messed up on the next gen consoles. There is no defending the PES games of the PES 3 or X-Box 360, absolutely dire.

FIFA 12 on the PS3 is the greatest football game I've ever played, it is absolutely amazing. Not only is it so real and fluid, the online play is spectacular with their new rankings based on form, but all the game modes are so engaging. It is beautiful.

Unfortunately I don't have a PS3 anymore so I have been playing PES 6 on the PC. Park Chu Young and Ronaldo FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I used to play PES6 nonstop whenever I wasn't in school. It never got old. The editing was far superior to Fifa and the gameplay was just wow! Gerrard's shots from distance were unreal. Now it's FIFA for me. I'll always try the Pes games everytime a new one comes out but FIFA has passed it and is by far a better game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

PES6 fully patched on xbox was amazing...

2008 absolutely sucked...

2009 fully patched on xbox was pretty good.... 2010 just sucked. So I switched to Fifa 10...

I still hope PES bring out a worthy game... I would switch back in a heartbeat... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Another vote here for PES6 being the best game ever. Still have it, and still play it.
    This year I tried both PES and FIFA demos and dont really like either tbh. Decided to buy PES anyway (as my mates and I have this league going that we've been playing for years with PES, and we take it semi seriously!), and its an ok game human v human (for want of a better phrase). But it can be fairly bad online and versus the AI.
    The last few years have been very poor for football games really though. No chance of a 3rd competitor ever emerging again to shake things up I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

^^ I really wish cos EA are greedy bastard$. They rarely make big changes cos they know there's no one out there to compete against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

We're gonna play football (soccer)
    Football (soccer)
    Football (soccer) all around the World

It's football (soccer)
    Football (soccer)
    Football (soccer) the greatest game of al-alllllll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Beefy78 wrote: »
    We're gonna play football (soccer)
    Football (soccer)
    Football (soccer) all around the World

It's football (soccer)
    Football (soccer)
    Football (soccer) the greatest game of al-alllllll

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

hefferboi wrote: »
    They rarely make big changes cos they know there's no one out there to compete against them.

Really? The impact engine and tactical defending are pretty good/big changes if you ask me. And thats just two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

They don't need to make drastic changes. Pro Evo didn't make drastic changes when they were on top. They had an engine which worked and they refined it each year. FIFA made drastic changes every year because their games were rubbish so each year they'd throw something new at the wall and hope that it stuck.

The game that they released in 2007/08 was the best game that they'd released in years and so they've since used that as a template and added things to is each year and it's Pro Evo which is having to change more drastically.

The key for EA is to not slip into the compacency that hit Konami in the middle of the last decade where they just took for granted that there were millions of people out there who would buy any old crap that they put out. They do need to tweak the game enough to make it an essential purchase.

Advertisement