Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to a specific wireless network

Options
  • 08-02-2012 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My Work laptop is slightly f**ked, won't connect to the network in work but will connect to any other network like at home or in my rented gaff. Had it over with a technician there for a while and he rebooted it and all but still having no luck...tried a restore before he did the factory reset and it did nothing either. Scanned it myself for malware and viruses but got nothing back on that. Network here appears to be fine cos everyone else in the office is connecting no bother and my own personal laptop connects no bother. Serious bit of a mystery and no one has a slight idea of what to do about it! Have it connected now through the wired connection but don't have a wired connection in my office so its a only a short term fix! Let me know if anyone has any brain waves on it!

The laptop by the way is a HP G6 and is literally just over a month old. Pretty decent laptop till this nonsense started!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Can you see the network when you scan for it

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

and did it ever connect to that specific wireless network before ?

we have an issue where 1 laptop - a dell latitude e4100 cannot connect to my wireless network - she can see , will attempt to connect (connects but does not work)

small office(outside of my control ) running wep 128 bit

the issue is down to the wireless encryption in use - some network cards just dont seem to work with certain encryption types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 scfalcon

Sorry should have clarified that....yes I can see it and connect but with no internet access. we have two wireless routers in work running off the same network and I cannot connect to either of them! It was working for about a 3/4 weeks but just stopped randomly...one of the girls in the office is using the same laptop but is experiencing no trouble at all!Its a fairly small network with only 12/13 people connected each day!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Have you a static IP assigned to the laptop? It may behaving a conflict with something else on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

You need to clarify your statement above it somewhat contradicts itself

You can see the Work Network?
    You can connect to the Work Network?
    But you cannot connect to the Internet?

If you can connect to the Wireless connection at work but do not have internet access does your screen give you an indication as to what the problem may be?
    it sounds like a proxy issue

• Advertisement

Yes I can see the work network, I can Connect to the network but cannot gain internet access. The IP is set to automatically detect and I also tried inputting the IP off my personal laptop for the network but it told me it was incorrect. Windows has told me it is a router issue and I should reset the router...much easier said than done and makes no sense seeing as my personal laptop which was never connected to the network before this week connected no problem first time. There are 6/7 different types of laptop connected to the network and they are having no issues at all.

Don't know if this is significant or not but, from what I can remember the laptop has only stopped connecting to the internet at work since I took it home and used it there...I have used it on 3/4 different networks since.... but before that it had only ever been connected to the work network....I'll try to remember if this is definite.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Try uninstalling the wireless card and reinstall it just in case it is holding some strange settings somewhere.

Advertisement