Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics Experience

• 08-02-2012 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Anyone here who know their politics well or have studied it in college. I have an assignment due for next week on the Arab Spring and I would like to ask a few questions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Dr. Aziz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

What's the essay question or topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

A paper on the Arab Spring? Very contemporary. I assume you've been reading The Guardian, New Statesman, etc etc?

I know my politics well (and indeed am learning all the time) but unfortunately this is not an area I'm great with.

I would take the time, however, to read up on past activity in the region as you can't approach it as an isolated incident. Look at the US involvement in the region in the 80s, the rise, and subsequent fall of the Ayatollah Khomeni, things like that. That's mainly Iran and Iraq of course but it speaks for the West's attitudes in some part.

It'll take 15 minutes to read an account of the Yom Kippur offensive and maybe explain Arab resentments towards the West.

Mubarak and Ghaddafi were only in power because the US wanted them there...things like that. And, maybe look at the Irish response to the Irish trained doctors being imprisoned in Bahrain too.

Sorry I can't be more precise, but hopefully you'll find a paragraph in your reading which will spark a unique and well argued end-product.

Advertisement