Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does being educated through Irish negatively affect performance in college?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My question is whether a pupil who goes through the whole secondary system (including Leaving Cert) through Irish finds 3rd-level college more challenging than a pupil who was educated through English as the primary language.

I have heard of a study that found that pupils educated through Irish found it harder to adjust to college where everything is taught through English, leading to a higher dropout rate, but cannot find this (or similar findings) online.

The school league tables show the percentage of secondary students who go to start third level - but does not track the percentage who go on to complete third level.

If the raw data is available anywhere, I'm quite happy to do my own analysis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I haven't got any evidence but I know people from my school which is all-Irish who went on to do Nursing and found it extremely difficult. Having to translate it to Irish and then to English through books and notes from LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I know a good few people who attended all Irish schools who have gone on to do electrical engineering, science and teaching and they all seem to have gotten on ok (all in their 3rd or 4th year). I don't know whether any data for what you want would exist though. I doubt it because once they enter university they just become another student, there is no way of "tracking" them through the system.

Advertisement