Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copyright a websites model?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to copyright the way your website works so that a competitor doesnt just rip off your unique way of selling your products.

I'm about to launch a unique enough website here in Ireland that has been built over the last year or so and would like the opportunity to use the same model in the UK after a year or so of operation here. (if successful)

The code is not necessarily what i want to copyright but the model of selling.

I'm guessing the answer is no and if it is what steps should one take when launching a unique enough website while preventing others from just copying it?

Thanks,

Boggy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Is it possible to copyright the way your website works so that a competitor doesnt just rip off your unique way of selling your products.

I'm about to launch a unique enough website here in Ireland that has been built over the last year or so and would like the opportunity to use the same model in the UK after a year or so of operation here. (if successful)

The code is not necessarily what i want to copyright but the model of selling.

I'm guessing the answer is no and if it is what steps should one take when launching a unique enough website while preventing others from just copying it?

Thanks,

Boggy

Considering the way the web works is based off of one person emulating another and doing something that already works better - or just tweaking the idea - the answer would be no :)

If you could copyright an idea like that it'd be terrible for innovation and competition.

This is different though to patenting technology though, i.e. if you have a particular algorithm, etc. But as you say yourself it's not code, it's just a means of selling or delivering your product, so hardly.

Best way is to have first mover advantage - get yourself out there and be the best at what you do, keeping a watch out for competition and acting upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

In the United States, you can patent a 'business method'.

Elsewhere, you can only patent something technical.

You could get a business method patent in the US, which would stop people in the US from copying your model.

Best

Antoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

So really if you have the cash you can steal/replicate a persons website idea after them investing all their cash and possibly mortgaging their house.

It seems there should be some temporary protection on peoples website ideas for at least a year of so before competition can come in with their millions and wipe you off the face of the earth?

I hear what your saying about the idea of copyright regards innovation etc. But giving the smaller guys who conceive the truly great ideas a fair chance they should be in some way protected for a short while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

bogwalrus wrote: »
    So really if you have the cash you can steal/replicate a persons website idea after them investing all their cash and possibly mortgaging their house.

It seems there should be some temporary protection on peoples website ideas for at least a year of so before competition can come in with their millions and wipe you off the face of the earth?

I hear what your saying about the idea of copyright regards innovation etc. But giving the smaller guys who conceive the truly great ideas a fair chance they should be in some way protected for a short while anyway.

A fair chance in your instance would you being first to market with your business, that's your chance of becoming the market leader.

If anyone else comes alone with a clone of your site/idea and steals market share its really up to you to respond and maintain that position.

Take for example Groupon, plenty of competitors and clone scripts around but they are one of the market leaders in their field.

What happens if the competitor has millions they will simply buy you up if they see opportunity in your market space rather than reinvent the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If it is a truly great idea, you will need to raise money to maximize its potential. The world isn't going to wait for you to come into funds of your own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement