Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OXY / ACETYLENE GAS cutting torch

• 08-02-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Well lads Im thinking of buying a OXY / ACETYLENE GAS cutting torch for general cutting of steel. Whats the story with getting the gas? Do you need a licence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 krazyfarmer

I dont think you need a license but you might have to pay rental on the cylinder. Where you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Offaly. How much would it cost for the OXY / ACETYLENE gas and does i8t only come in one cylinder size? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

You will have to rent the 2 cylinders at about €125-150 a year each, then buy regulators, hoses, cutting head and flashback arrestors this will cost aroung €180-200. You'll also have to pay to get cylinders filled.

Them cylinders would nearly be cheaper to buy than rent! Suppose Ive no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Well lads Im thinking of buying a OXY / ACETYLENE GAS cutting torch for general cutting of steel. Whats the story with getting the gas? Do you need a licence?

Have you ever done any oxy cuttung?

What steel are you cutting scrap or for fabrication?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

With my local suppliers anyway I dont think you can buy them. you have to rent, and they will not fill a cylinder that is not their property either (BOC gases). Maybe its just them having it sewn up so you kinda have to buy from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gerico

there are several different cylinder sizes. A Y oxygen which is about half the size of the standard cylinder costs about €90 p.a, An M size acetylene costs about €65 p.a. These are the rental costs, refills cost roughly €50 ea. By the time you add in the hoses, regs, torch, arrestors it may be more economical to buy a new consaw @ €650 ish or a decent second hand one for €250 - €300ish

oxy/acetylene cutting is not without danger and I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kylemore56

Oxy/propane would probably be better and only one bottle rental!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

kylemore56 wrote: »
    Oxy/propane would probably be better and only one bottle rental!
    better for cutting? Dont think so?

A plasma cutter might be a better option? Il be cutting 2/3mm thick sheet metal, box iron and 2/3'' angle iron for the general fabrication work around the farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭its baltic

Would you really need gas to cut this steel? Would a Steel Chop saw not be a neater and cheaper option? Gas cutting can leave quiet a rough finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

A plasma cutter might be a better option? Il be cutting 2/3mm thick sheet metal, box iron and 2/3'' angle iron for the general fabrication work around the farm.
    Grinder and a chop saw would be your best option. Oxy no good for cutting 2-3mm sheet steel. Plasma would be ok but you still need to clean the cut with a grinder. As for box iron and angle iron a chop saw is your only man unless your cutting it every day all day in that case you need a band saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

definatly go with the oxy/propane....granted acc burns hotter but propane is far better in terms of price and lasting and availability......keep an eye on donedeal etc for an oxygen bottle,often come up,the one i got was nearly full when i got it and if u know anyone who has an account with boc or air products (depends on what bottle ya get)jus get ur refil under there name(with their permission)and pay cash for it...a plasma cutter may suit ya better if its for light stuff dho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

anyone know where there would be a secondhand bandsaw for sale 12"x7"
    or sumthing like that,even one in need of repair would suit....thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nick31

Yeah I think that would be a better option.

Advertisement