Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube World

• 08-02-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard of this? Looks so cute!

Currently being developed by Wollay, a new employee of Mojang. As of now, It is still Wollay's private project and is not available for purchase yet and no release has been provided. I see a lot of potential in it, With endless Worlds similar to Minecraft, RPG elements from the likes of World of Warcraft and overall feel from games such as Zelda and Monster Hunter, It does seem to be a mix from the best.

Here is the developers blog

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Played a bit of it tonight, its fun, going to need a server to play on and see whats what.

I'm just running around aimlessly on my on PC, runs like a dream though

Its €15 for the Alpha, paypal or credit card through paypal, the online shop has been up and down and sometimes it wont allow to make new accounts to buy the game

https://picroma.com/ //thats his website

https://twitter.com/wol_lay //thats his twitter for updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I forgot all about this. I'll have to give the demo a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Im gonna give it a go aswell, I hear it is in very early alpha though.

Gotta love this buying the game in alpha for very cheap, so many doing it now Arma 3, Dayz etc etc.

Think minecraft is to thank for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

oh I forgot about this.. Seems the OP I made contains some false information though.

Wollay(At the time I made the thread) was offered a position at Mojang and there were rumours circulating that he had accepted the job however those rumours turned out to be false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

Looks good. The idea of a more structured Minecraft appeals to me.

Edit: It seems the only thing in common with Minecraft are the blocky graphics.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's like the Minecraft adventure mode. No digging, just killing things and doing quests. Though I'm getting my ass whipped by everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Where do you get quests. All I've been able to do is explore and simple crafting.

Remember to dodge with middle mouse button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Laviski

gaellords.com have a server up on 88.198.53.215
    join our ts bunch play it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Put about 5 hours into it since it came out on alpha. Fantastic alpha but it is missing allot that I am looking forward too. It is incredibly difficult too! I went water mage as it has the heal since I was using about 30 potions in each quest!

I highly recommend getting in on the alpha early here and watch this game evolve. I did the same with minecraft being an early alpha adopter and I got to see the game mature and become what it is today.

Where do you get quests. All I've been able to do is explore and simple crafting.

Remember to dodge with middle mouse button.
    If you go to the map and zoom out, you'll see little crossed swords. These are locations of bosses that you can kill. If you go to a city and talk to people with speech bubbles above them, they'll mark more locations on your map. And you can just wander out and try and find some. But you have to level up quite a bit to take on most of the challenges.

I think it's planned in future for NPC's to give you proper quests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Mad to give this a go but the account creation has been down all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Yeah, I'd love to give it a try too, tho not sure my laptop will be able to handle it too well. Anyone else playing on a laptop?

Big Knox wrote: »
    Mad to give this a go but the account creation has been down all day.

Ok account creation is back up but the store if offline now, seems they are limiting the amount of people who can purchase it at the moment due to server issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Limericks wrote: »
    I highly recommend getting in on the alpha early here and watch this game evolve. I did the same with minecraft being an early alpha adopter and I got to see the game mature and become what it is today.

I'm the opposite. I bought Minecraft early enough and by the time most features had been added and it had matured I was a bit burnt out.

Cubeworld looks interesting but I reckon I'm going to wait until it is developed further.

Account creation and the shop are now open, I bought the game this morning!

Edit: Looks like it's down again, that didn't last long! :o

quarryman wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. I bought Minecraft early enough and by the time most features had been added and it had matured I was a bit burnt out.

Cubeworld looks interesting but I reckon I'm going to wait until it is developed further.

Ye the same happened me,id put in a lot of hours into minecraft before even the full release version 1.0. The technic pak got me back for a bit but even that couldn hold interest too long. Found it was too much of a pain in the a@#$ starting fresh again.

Still going to pick Cube World now though,it will go up in price as development moves along so might as well get it while its cheap although €15 sounds a little expensive for it at this stage.

Thats if the site ever gets back online that is,if i was a cynical person id say maybe more people were buying alpha than they thought and they wouldn make as much money from the dearer beta and full release versions so there trying to limit purchases of the alpha!!
    But im not cynical lol

So ill just wait and hopefully get it sometime today.

What sad people are on the internet,why in the name of god would someone be launching ddos attacks on this website?? Crazy!

EoinHef wrote: »
    What sad people are on the internet,why in the name of god would someone be launching ddos attacks on this website?? Crazy!

It has never been easier to DDOS a website or game server as it is now. I am not going to go into details but anyone with 10 euro can do it =/

It is an unfortunate reality for most people who run game servers as rival servers or banned players will take their revenge this way interrupting service for everyone.

As for getting burnt out on playing the game early I agree in contrary to my previous post but it was still great to be in on the foundations and see the game evolve. I don't play minecraft anymore other than the hour here and there but used to play non stop.

I feel with cubeworld however I will continue to play during alpha, beta and release as it is more of an adventure than minecraft is and I will want to try all the new features as they are released.

Has there definitely been a DDOS attack on Cubeworld, or is it just them being ill-prepared for all the people who want it?

humanji wrote: »
    Has there definitely been a DDOS attack on Cubeworld, or is it just them being ill-prepared for all the people who want it?

Well, on the twitter they posted that they were being DDOSed but I would say it is a bit of both.

They posted some traffic statistics and they were about 100mb/s which any datacenter can handle with ease and most of the servers would be on a 1gbit connection nowadays anyway. However the actual physical server handling all the requests correctly and efficiently is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Laviski

88.198.53.215 removed the the 4 player cap and brought it up to 128!!

join ppl on our ts3 server have some fun folks

www.gaellords.com

• Advertisement

Limericks wrote: »
    It has never been easier to DDOS a website or game server as it is now. I am not going to go into details but anyone with 10 euro can do it =/

Thats disturbing:confused:
    Its so common these days,even EA had trouble a few weeks ago with BF3 and there an established company with god knows how many servers so can only imagine what a DDoS attack would do to a new company with probably limited resources.

Seen a few articles recently say that all these attacks are actually adding latency to the internet as a whole!! Making it slower for everybody:mad:

The Yogscast highlighted this game a couple of weeks ago aswell so maybe there is just more demand for the game than expected. Seems to happen a bit when they highlight indie games,same happened with that cube game from 22 cans,was all sorts of server issues for the first few weeks

I managed to get a copy yesterday afternoon. The shop seems to pop up and down periodically.

It is enjoyable wandering around the game world collecting items, but combat is fairly tough at the start. My trusty sheep and I will soldier on!

Sarn wrote: »
    I managed to get a copy yesterday afternoon. The shop seems to pop up and down periodically.

It is enjoyable wandering around the game world collecting items, but combat is fairly tough at the start. My trusty sheep and I will soldier on!

Ye the pets look great!! Can you level them aswell?

Yep, they level up and magically reappear shortly after they die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Sarn wrote: »
    Yep, they level up and magically reappear shortly after they die.

On multiplayer servers they randomly lose all the levels they gained in this multiplayer session.

Got to give this a go last night and really enjoyed it although the first 3 levels were tough going as a warrior. Levels 4 and 5 were much smoother which is strange but a nice change of pace.

Really looking forward to putting more time into it!

Finally was able to register an account, think they took the site and everything down last night for awhile.
    When it popped up today was able to register, was on phone though so have to see can I purchase the actual game tonight.
    Im lookin forward to playing this but if I cant get it before steam sale ill have so many other games to play it might end up on the back burner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

The shop and registration seem to be open again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The shop and registration seem to be open again now.

Thanks. Just bought it.

I know I said I'd wait until it had matured but fook it, let's see what the hype is about.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Thanks. Just bought it.

I know I said I'd wait until it had matured but fook it, let's see what the hype is about.

It's very playable at the moment. I would advise anyone starting to put 5 points into climbing to unlock gliding as soon as possible, it really helps with travel time and it's very fun!!

Advertisement