Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert books.

• 08-02-2012 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking for a while about going back and doing my Leaving Cert. I failed it in 1998, i won't bore you with the excuses as to why that happened.

I've secured a venue so i pretty much sorted for June. Can Someone answer these questions for me as i have no communication with any School.

Maths-Ordinary level (003) What projects maths Strands do i need to learn is just 1 and 2 and 3 4 and 5 don't matter unless your doing Project maths as a subject?

English-ordinary level What Poems and texts and plays are been recommended by your teachers to learn.

I have to buy other other books for different subjects too. So could someone provide a comprehensive booklist for leaving cert 2011/2012 for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I've secured a venue so i pretty much sorted for June. Can Someone answer these questions for me as i have no communication with any School.

Fair play for getting back into it! :) As regards no school though...are you doing languages for which you'll need to sit oral exams, or subjects where there is a practical element? To complete those elements you'd need to have something arranged with a school.
    I have to buy other other books for different subjects too. So could someone provide a comprehensive booklist for leaving cert 2011/2012 for me.

Can you give a list of the subjects you are doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Fair play for getting back into it! :) As regards no school though...are you doing languages for which you'll need to sit oral exams, or subjects where there is a practical element? To complete those elements you'd need to have something arranged with a school.

Can you give a list of the subjects you are doing?

No Language Queen.

Subjects Maths English Economics and Business

Physics Chemistry- I believe there is a practical element to this. Students do experiments in the year and then answer questions about this in June. I am doubtful i can get that done as i have no access to a school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 TheMathsTutor

For June 2012 maths, you need to study Project Maths Strands 1 and 2, which is most of paper 2.

Paper 1 has not changed for LC 2012.

(Strands 3 and 4 come in for LC 2013, and Strand 5 for LC 2014.)

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I've been thinking for a while about going back and doing my Leaving Cert. I failed it in 1998, i won't bore you with the excuses as to why that happened.

Maths-Ordinary level (003) What projects maths Strands do i need to learn is just 1 and 2 and 3 4 and 5 don't matter unless your doing Project maths as a subject?

English-ordinary level What Poems and texts and plays are been recommended by your teachers to learn.

Good for you Getting back into it! :) Project Maths isnt a new subject.. its a new a course for Maths.. Since your doing your LC in 11/12 as far as i know you have do all he strands but i could be wrong :/
    No Language Queen.

Physics Chemistry- I believe there is a practical element to this. Students do experiments in the year and then answer questions about this in June. I am doubtful i can get that done as i have no access to a school.

For English - You'll need to get the poetry book for 2012 and you should definitely get key notes 2012 too. A textbook isn't really needed as long as you have your texts.

Economics - Modern Economics by Mentor - meant to be good.
    Business - 21st Century Business - its seems very popular

For Physics and Chemistry you have to write up about experiments. You can just watch them on Youtube so its easy to describe them in the exam. Are you doing the combined course or Physics and Chemistry seperatly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Bazinga_N wrote: »

Good for you Getting back into it! :) Project Maths isnt a new subject.. its a new a course for Maths.. Since your doing your LC in 11/12 as far as i know you have do all he strands but i could be wrong :/
    No Language Queen.

For English - You'll need to get the poetry book for 2012 and you should definitely get key notes 2012 too. A textbook isn't really needed as long as you have your texts.

For Physics and Chemistry you have to write up about experiments. You can just watch them on Youtube so its easy to describe them in the exam. Are you doing the combined course or Physics and Chemistry seperatly?

If by 2011/2012 you mean this summer then You sit a combination of project maths strands 1/2 and the old course (all other topics). You would need two books, our school is using active maths for the project maths element and text and tests for the old course. Whatever old course book you get there will definitely be chapters you won't need as they have been replaced by project maths eg geometry, trigonometry, coordinate geometry of the line/circle to name some of them. If you have any questions on it just ask. Though if you are sitting it in 4 months you have a hard slog ahead. Best of luck

• Advertisement

For June 2012 maths, you need to study Project Maths Strands 1 and 2, which is most of paper 2.

Paper 1 has not changed for LC 2012.

(Strands 3 and 4 come in for LC 2013, and Strand 5 for LC 2014.)

Hope that helps.

Thanks, i was thinking that was the case, just making sure. Great.

What texts were recommended by your teacher to learn?

I've got the business and Economic books already.

I'll be taking the Physics and Chemistry exams separately.

If by 2011/2012 you mean this summer then You sit a combination of project maths strands 1/2 and the old course (all other topics). You would need two books, our school is using active maths for the project maths element and text and tests for the old course. Whatever old course book you get there will definitely be chapters you won't need as they have been replaced by project maths eg geometry, trigonometry, coordinate geometry of the line/circle to name some of them. If you have any questions on it just ask. Though if you are sitting it in 4 months you have a hard slog ahead. Best of luck

Ok, i think theres two editions of Active maths now in print (book 1 and 2) book 1 i believe is the one i require and need, correct?

Texts and tests 3 is the one i need for maths, doing ordinary level. Is that correct as well?

Thanks you've been helpful.

Active Maths 3 Book 2 is for LC Ordinary 2012.

It covers S1 and S2, and also Length, Area and Volume. All of paper 2 in other words.

[AM3 Book1 you do not need. It is for 2013, including S3, S4 and old S5.]

T&T3 will cover the old course. They also have supplements to cover Project Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

It covers S1 and S2, and also Length, Area and Volume. All of paper 2 in other words.

T&T3 will cover the old course. They also have supplements to cover Project Maths.
    Exactly what they said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

What texts were recommended by your teacher to learn?

I've got the business and Economic books already.

I'll be taking the Physics and Chemistry exams separately.

Oh sorry by texts i meant your novels/dramas for the comparative and single text. :)

As for Physics most people I know use Real World Physics but there is a lot of constroversy over it!

And for Chemistry you cant go wrong with Chemistry Live!

Oh what business and economic books did you get?

I've got all the books except 2

'Poetry now 2012 and Active Maths 3 Book 2.

The lady in the book store claimed i can no longer get Active Maths book 2 in a store or on online? I'd my doubts about that been unable to get that book online, its advertised as been available. Is she right it is no longer stocked or available i haven't proceeded to purchasing this book online yet?

I've have downloaded the ebook version of Active Maths 3 to my desktop computer from the Folens website.Thank god, they had this service well done Folens. This book is currently out of print.

I also think Texts and Tests 3 might be out of print. I'll have to ring Celtic Press, the publisher, on Monday to ask if this book is still available. Is their an alternative to this book if it is out of print?

Oh sorry by texts i meant your novels/dramas for the comparative and single text. :)

As for Physics most people I know use Real World Physics but there is a lot of constroversy over it!

And for Chemistry you cant go wrong with Chemistry Live!

Oh what business and economic books did you get?

Real World physics is the book i bought. Why is this book controversial?

Business i bought this book Business today (McLaughlin and Caulwell) and for Economics i bought this book Leaving Cert Economics Textbook & Workbook, by Denis O' Grady.

Exactly what they said!

Ok thanks.

Old versions of 'New Concise Maths 3' or 'Discovering Maths 3' will cover the old LCO syllabus.

I know that NCM 3 has been published with a PM supplement, or at this stage, it probably comes in a PM version, or you can probably buy as a bundle including the PM supplement.

'Discovering Maths' was the old Folens maths series, so it is probably no longer being printed, as they now have the Active Maths series.

There is also a book called Maths in Focus that covered the old syllabus, not sure as to their PM versions.

Advertisement