Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake charity clothing collection

Options
  • 08-02-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Got a leaflet/sticker in the door today from "Irish Christianity Programme for Africa" saying they are doing a clothing collection for charity.

A quick google shows it to be a scam. If you got one of the leaflets please do not leave anything out for them as they are taking money/resources from legitimate charities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

As a rule if you want to donate clothes, go directly to a charity shop/social services or one of those clothing banks you usually find at recycling stations. The likes of the above has been going on for a while and in a variety of guises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

As a rule if you want to donate clothes, go directly to a charity shop/social services or one of those clothing banks you usually find at recycling stations. The likes of the above has been going on for a while and in a variety of guises.
    Well said Corvus....there are lots of charity shops in Sligo which would be delighted to receive donations of good quality clothes and bric a brac.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Is there any way you can stop these crowds pushing leaflets through your letter box I'm sick of this rubbish littering my hall floor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

NO:) Or you can glue it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I live in Cranmore and I'm plagued with these leaflets, I'd say I get at least one every morning. I don't even think real charities such as Enable Ireland do door to door collections any more. So if you do get a leaflet, it's almost definitely bogus.

I have a 'no junk mail' sign which is really effective for any other kinds of unwanted mail. Maybe I should write 'including clothes collectors' after it and see if it works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ulisses78

That "fake charity collections" it's huge business... All that clothes which are collected, going to East Europe (but not only), and after that, You can buy them in second-hand shops. Fortunately, now there is few places, where I can just sell Your unwanted clothes ( between 50-80 cents/kg). They doing the same with clothes (sending them to E.Europe), but at least running their business in fair way.

Advertisement