Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 parttime masters at same time

Options
  • 08-02-2012 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm working fulltime in hse at the minute and looking at definitely doing one masters next year parttime. Its the masters in management at Smurfit. However there's another masters course that really interests me aswell at rcsi. It too is also parttime. Dates and everything are fine. Both are both over two years. I've no kids and no other responsibilities. Is it possible to perform well in both with obviously alot of hard work ? Anyone have any experience of doing two ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

speeding wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm working fulltime in hse at the minute and looking at definitely doing one masters next year parttime. Its the masters in management at Smurfit. However there's another masters course that really interests me aswell at rcsi. It too is also parttime. Dates and everything are fine. Both are both over two years. I've no kids and no other responsibilities. Is it possible to perform well in both with obviously alot of hard work ? Anyone have any experience of doing two ?

Thats a full time job and a full time masters basically for two years. Very hard to do. Maybe for 6 months but would imagine one would be unable to handle this for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

chris85 wrote: »
    Thats a full time job and a full time masters basically for two years. Very hard to do. Maybe for 6 months but would imagine one would be unable to handle this for two years.

I agree with this advice. I'm currently working full time and doing the MIM Part time. The work load really builds towards the end of each semester. I couldnt see it being possible to keep up with both masters over a 2year period. It would wipe you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

speeding wrote: »
    Hi Guys

It would be tough challenge.

You have to divide your time between your work and two separate Masters courses that will have assignments, group work, deadlines etc. I assume you also have to write a dissertation for both which can be a very onerous experience.

My main worry is whether you would be allowed to register/enrol in two different institutions concurrently. Most institutions frown at this practice in other to ensure that you are fully committed to your studies and will not lag behind or drop out eventually.

However, I have heard of cases where people have undertaken two post graduate courses successfully. You can clarify from both institutions if you are permitted to enrol in other educational establishments.

If you are fully committed and have the resolve/discipline/ability to do both masters- then I dont think it is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 welwyn

Hi Speeding, what did you decide to do about the masters'??
    Budhabob, how is the MiM going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Hi :-)

not sure really I applied and was accepted to mim in smurfit. Just have to pay the deposit if i want to go ahead with it. It's just that another area that i'm really interested in is the msc in health informatics in tcd. It's a tough decision really :-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

welwyn wrote: »
    Hi Speeding, what did you decide to do about the masters'??
    Budhabob, how is the MiM going?

I'm enjoying it, last semester was tough going with a large workload, but I find it enjoyable. A major plus is the block release set up, once a month is great, as opposed to weekly.

Advertisement