Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello has resigned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Stan Collymore @StanCollymore
    Text from current Eng Intl. "Hopefully we will have unity now.Too many issues left poorly dealt with over last 2 years in particular"

I know one current England International who probably caused it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

EdenHazard wrote: »
    What is so annoying about this is that once again the lack of ability of Englands players will be masked by so many clichés about squad harmony and the likes.

YOUR TEAM IS GOOD, BUT NOT THAT GOOD! Player for player youse dont have any divine right to win a tournament, and that doesnt take into account the other problems the team has

Do you have any quotes from any English people, let alone players, saying that they have a divine right to win a tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

John Terry should've resigned as captain.

FFS England. Why do we always do this to ourselves? Capello's statement is pretty scathing and I can't disagree with any of it.

I'd give Sven the job back until the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Just the media but its a common perception amongst people that all England lack is unity or something and once they get that they will magically sweep aside everyone to claim what is rightfully theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

IvySlayer wrote: »
    John Terry should've resigned as captain.

If he thinks he's innocent then no he doesn't. Fair play to Capello. Even more respect for the man now.

Just the media but its a common perception amongst people that all England lack is unity or something and once they get that they will magically sweep aside everyone to claim what is rightfully theirs

It's certainly a common perception. It's bollocks though.

England go into every tournament trying to win it. Ireland should do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Lot of support here for Capello. I'll go ahead and say he deserves to be gone.

For footballing reasons, the showing at the last World Cup was appalling. There was no plan A, let alone a plan B. Players like Shaun Wright Phillips were brought instead of the likes of Adam Johnson (who I know is no world beater but Wright Phillips was and is rubbish). Every performance was a disgrace. Some of his general policies, such as Theo Walcott? were and are very strange.

To resign over a player who publicly humiliated Capello and the team? That's quite funny.

I'd have no doubt someone else can come in and do a better job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Redknapp has quite the decision to make now. Abandon an extremely exciting project at Spurs where he is adored. Or take on the challenge of his dream job. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the FA's first choice so it will be his decision. It'll be interesting to see what he does.

I believe he has said he could not turn down the England job if offered it. So it's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

"They really insulted me and damaged my authority," Capello was quoted as saying on Italpress this evening.

"What really hit me and forced me to take this decision was the fact the much-vaunted Anglo-Saxon sense of justice...

, as they are the first to claim that everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

"In Terry's case, they gravely offended me & damaged my authority at the head of the England side, creating a problem for the squad.

"I have never tolerated certain crossing of lines, so it was easy for me to spot it and take my decision to leave."

• Advertisement

Lot of support here for Capello. I'll go ahead and say he deserves to be gone.

For footballing reasons, the showing at the last World Cup was appalling. There was no plan A, let alone a plan B. Players like Shaun Wright Phillips were brought instead of the likes of Adam Johnson (who I know is no world beater but Wright Phillips was and is rubbish). Every performance was a disgrace. Some of his general policies, such as Theo Walcott? were very strange.

To resign over a player who publicly humiliated Capello and the team? That's quite funny.

I'd have no doubt someone else can come in and do a better job.

It's the principle. He was never consulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

It's gonna be Redknapp, obviously.

But I wonder who they'll blame then, if their darling manager fails as well.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It's certainly a common perception. It's bollocks though.

England go into every tournament trying to win it. Ireland should do the same.

The English Media think they have a chance of winning every tournament when realistically they are way behing a handfull of teams.

Hopefully they fail again at the first hurdle.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The English Media think they have a chance of winning every tournament when realistically they are way behing a handfull of teams.

Hopefully they fail again at the first hurdle.

But England do have a chance of winning every tournament they enter. They're knockout cup competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

SantryRed wrote: »
    If he thinks he's innocent then no he doesn't. Fair play to Capello. Even more respect for the man now.

Ah come on!! He was caught on camera!! He should have resigned for the sake of the team even if he is innocent. It's had a detrimental effect on the entire build up to the tournament. He's caused all this really.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Redknapp won't get let go that easy. I reckon they might hang on until the end of season. I could see them writing Euro 2012 off and handing Pearce the job until then.

The next Spurs manager odds are more interesting. I'm backing Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'd say to the FA, do something crazy. If they bring in a top class coach, people expect top class performances!

Holloway for England!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Trevor Brooking for the job :p

Fair play to Capello sticking to his principles and giving up a highly paid job, Terry better hope he gets found not guilty

I will give it to them in fairness they did recognise after Germany trounced them that their players just weren't at that level, suppose after a 4-1 hammering you kinda have to admit that tho. *PS I'm one of those people who doesnt care about Englands hype, all big nations except germany are like that but just a lot of people seem to buy into the 'great individuals but all prima donnas' image which imo is giving them too much credit

But England do have a chance of winning every tournament they enter. They're knockout cup competitions.

Ok, realistic chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I've always liked Capello. In my opinion he was never given a proper go for three reasons:

1. Didn't kiss the ass of spoilt English footballers with limited ability
    2. The hacks didn't get could copy from him
    3. Never accepted by fans because he's not English

post fail.

He went to a world cup with no adequate options on the left of midfield because kissing the ass of spoilt brat footballers is exactly what he was too busy doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

it seems obvious that Redknapp is a shoe in for it, he got a rude awakening to European football last year. down 3-0 to Bern after 28 minutes and 4-0 down to Inter in the San Siro after 35 minutes. England will crash and burn under him but at least the media will have got their man and their honeymoon period will last until June. Capello is one of the top managers in football over the last 20 years and the respect the English FA have shown him is astonishing

On paper their team actually isnt impressive anymore but they haves players performing so good this season like rooney hart richards milner barry(4 of them you wouldnt really be like omg look who england have) but their players on top of their game. Rooney is their only superstar, mayb Ashley Cole, rest of players wouldnt make world 11 and loads wouldnt be near it

SkySports Sky Sports
    Our sources understand Guus Hiddink is interested in becoming England's next manager following Capello's resignation. More to follow...

That wouldn't surprise me. Speaks English fluently and great experience in tournament football.

It's the principle. He was never consulted.

So? The FA obviously decided that their international image, and that of England, would suffer because there would have been a captain who is going to be on trial for racial abuse, leading the side at the Euros. Which was perfectly reasonable on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Laois_Man wrote: »
    post fail.

He went to a world cup with no adequate options on the left of midfield because kissing the ass of spoilt brat footballers is exactly what he was too busy doing!

They were crap at the World Cup because of weakness in ONE position?

Among the reasons they failed is because he put them in a tough camp and the lads got the hump.

• Advertisement

On paper their team actually isnt that impressive anymore but they haves players performing so good this season like rooney hart richards milner barry(4 of them you wouldnt really be like omg look who england have) but their players on top of their game

Gareth Barry has been awful over the past month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is absolute genius.

the FA consistently undermine Capello through much of his reign over issues in the team, and do it to the point where they force the guy to offer his resignation.

a guy who has won everything in the game that he's ever tried to win, and who had the best results of any England manager ever.

a guy who, in his last game, with a depleted squad, beat the World Champions.

and they, for all intents and purposes, are going to replace him with a guy who, while he is talented, hasn't won a damn thing of real note.

as i say...absolute, unadulterated, soap operatic genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Who's this knob on SSN saying they have to get Pep Gaudiola after the summer?

Yep, Gaudiola can probably get any job in the world, he's really going to pick cnutish media, crap weather and technically limited players

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is absolute genius.

the FA consistently undermine Capello through much of his reign over issues in the team, and do it to the point where they force the guy to offer his resignation.

a guy who has won everything in the game that he's ever tried to win, and who had the best results of any England manager ever.

and they, for all intents and purposes, are going to replace him with a guy who, while he is talented, hasn't won a damn thing of real note.

Jesus Christ, I'm depressed. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

SkySports Sky Sports
    Our sources understand Guus Hiddink is interested in becoming England's next manager following Capello's resignation. More to follow...

That wouldn't surprise me. Speaks English fluently and great experience in tournament football.
    of course he's interested, whats the pay 5 or £6m per year? i'm interested aswell.

Managers like Hiddink, Benitez and Lippi all unemployed will be eyeing up this job for the summer and they all have far superior records than Redknapp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dotsey wrote: »
    it seems obvious that Redknapp is a shoe in for it, he got a rude awakening to European football last year. down 3-0 to Bern after 28 minutes and 4-0 down to Inter in the San Siro after 35 minutes. England will crash and burn under him but at least the media will have got their man and their honeymoon period will last until June. Capello is one of the top managers in football over the last 20 years and the respect the English FA have shown him is astonishing

He got Spurs to the quarter finals, beating Milan and Inter, and only getting beaten to one of the best teams in the world. Yeah, what a rude awakening :rolleyes:

So? The FA obviously decided that their international image, and that of England, would suffer because there would have been a captain who is going to be on trial for racial abuse, leading the side at the Euros. Which was perfectly reasonable on their part.

Do you not think he should have been consulted?

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is absolute genius.

That Spain game was a friendly. Just so you know, they are meaningless. Spain have been beaten by Portugal (4-0), Argentina (4-1) and even Italy (2-1) in recent times in friendlies.

What do results matter if they aren't in the competitions. Because by my reckoning he had one of the worst performances in the past 20 years in International tournaments, with the exception of Schteve who didn't qualify.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who is this fúcking tool on SSN??

''We don't want these foreigners managing our country!!'' :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Who's going to write Arry's letter of resignation?!

It really comes down to players as well, seriously what can a manager do in like 3 months when he doesnt even get to see the players? Its different when its like Ireland after Staunton, or England after McClaren or France after Domenech where your at your lowest eb its a mentality change that's needed but you might as well employ a world renowned motivator as anyone else. I think Redknapp might be a one of the worst appointments they could make, hell make England play too open which is just not needed in such a tight tournament

Kiith wrote: »
    He got Spurs to the quarter finals, beating Milan and Inter, and only getting beaten to one of the best teams in the world. Yeah, what a rude awakening :rolleyes:

That's all well and good but it's hardly good credentials for one of the biggest international jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Pissed at the FA. He had no choice but to resign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

When you find out let me know pleae, dont have sky, never had it but id like to find the xenophobe on twitter if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭token56

Neil Warnock is free isn't he :p

• Advertisement

Do you not think he should have been consulted?

Well they asked him out of respect, and he said don't do it. They were left with little choice. They did him a courtesy by asking him in the first place.

daithijjj wrote: »
    When you find out let me know pleae, dont have sky, never had it but id like to find the xenophobe on twitter if possible.
    Why?! So you can be mature and abuse him?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

That Spain game was a friendly. Just so you know, they are meaningless. Spain have been beaten by Portugal (4-0), Argentina (4-1) and even Italy (2-1) in recent times in friendlies.

What do results matter if they aren't in the competitions. Because by my reckoning he had one of the worst performances in the past 20 years in International tournaments, with the exception of Schteve who didn't qualify.

That's because England aren't as good as the English press would have you believe. They have one or two world class players, who rarely turn up, the rest are good, not but great players :D They are the Liverpool of international football, but they don't even have the record to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

daithijjj wrote: »

Barry Fry. Lost count of the amount of times ive heard him give out about foreigners in the English game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you're right...Capello's shíte.

that last tournament had nothing to do with players acting like brats, trying to undermine Capello, change his gameplan, and some of them putting in some of the worst performances of English players ever...lead by Terry trying to convince him that Joe Cole should've been playing.

this all after Capello had lead them to as smooth a qualifying campaign as England could hope for.

sure bring in 'Arry.

he's won far more anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Capello is a top manager, he had successful spells with a host of top European clubs. Hands down one of the best managers that I have seen (I'm in my 20s to give you some kind of scope there :P).

The FA shouldn't have interfered. John Terry is innocent until proven guilty. If they felt the absolute need to intervene then Capello should have been consulted and not undermined. He was right to resign as a result and anyone with half a brain can see why he would be annoyed.

England is a poisoned chalice for the sole reason that it is a media circus with unrealistic ambitions at each major tournament. England never perform well, not due to the manager, but due to a lack of quality. They are good, but they aren't that good.

Likely starting 11
    Hart- V.good keeper, probably one of the best in Europe this year, inexperienced though
    Cole- Top player, hasn't been great this year probably in part due to Chelsea's back line being poor all season
    Terry?- hasn't been good this year, passed his best
    Cahill?- again hasn't been great, solid defender
    Johnson- been alright, not a world beater by any stretch
    Gerrard- Top player, hasn't seen much action for about a year
    Young- Good player, started season strong has had a dip in form though
    Barry- Solid player, not going to change a game though
    Parker- see Barry
    Rooney- Top player, hasn't hit the heights of 09/10 since being injured against Bayern
    Carroll- Had a good couple of months at Newcastle, has had injuries but looks average

Starting lineup above is obviously just a probable one, the likes of Walcott, Milner, Bent etc. may all start but that just compounds the fact that England don't even have too many top players when there is so much competition for positions (maybe worded poorly, there aren't many guaranteed starters and it's not because the squad is overflowing with class). Depending on the manager the likes of Lampard might even start despite not getting a look in at club level recently. The result of the media circus is that the players are overhyped despite the fact that the evidence is there that they are not that good. The golden generation achieved nothing and it's not because they had a dip in form prior to a big tournament, it's because they're not as good as they are made out to be. Against the likes of Spain, Germany and the Netherlands they will be found out at major tournaments because they're 2nd tier in comparison to those nations, imo.

Roy Keane said it best a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Where next for Capello? If he was offered/wanted a job in the premier league it would be a good move... decent manager imo. His salary would probably be a deal breaker for alot of clubs tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I say fair play to Capello. The FA appear to be a joke. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens now. I think Redknapp would be a fool to take the job but I think he will anyway. He's done such a good job with Spurs, it'd be a shame to leave now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Barry Fry - and to think he used to be a hero of mine when I was growing up :(

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »

Likely starting 11
    Hart- V.good keeper, probably one of the best in Europe this year, inexperienced though
    Cole- Top player, hasn't been great this year probably in part due to Chelsea's back line being poor all season
    Terry?- hasn't been good this year, passed his best
    Cahill?- again hasn't been great, solid defender
    Johnson- been alright, not a world beater by any stretch
    Gerrard- Top player, hasn't seen much action for about a year
    Young- Good player, started season strong has had a dip in form though
    Barry- Solid player, not going to change a game though
    Parker- see Barry
    Rooney- Top player, hasn't hit the heights of 09/10 since being injured against Bayern
    Carroll- Had a good couple of months at Newcastle, has had injuries but looks average

HA!

Advertisement